LegacyGT.com

does anybody know anything about cxlighting CBE kits???

MDKSDMF

Does anyone know how the car sounds with just the cx lighting mufflers? I'm looking for a nice, not too loud grumble (so I don't get the wrong attention) I would get the entire exhaust, but I really don't want to have to retune my car, seeing as I just got it tuned.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know how the car sounds with just the cx lighting mufflers? I'm looking for a nice, not too loud grumble (so I don't get the wrong attention) I would get the entire exhaust, but I really don't want to have to retune my car, seeing as I just got it tuned.

what tune do you have? i thot a typical stage 2 tune included turbo back exhaust? are you running a different diameter mid and y on ur car? the prob with CX's mufflers is that they supposedly turn may turn color and get a lil rusty unless u do a little preventative maintenance( high temp engine enamel, or clear coat). u can aquire the cans off of various members on here or u can order the CBE for like 330 and sell the mids and Y.

You can run a stage 2 set up with the OEM CBE. Or with just cans too. Best advice is to buy them from the classifieds. Cans are FS all the time.

Also, you probably don't need to adjust your tune for the CBE. You could (might gain 10-13 HP), but you don't have too.

OK, MDKSDMF pointed out something to me. I was getting my multiple cars and installs confused.

No one needs an adapter for installing this CBE to a stock or 2.5" outlet DP. You simply need to buy a NEW OEM donut gasket.

Install the donut gasket on the DP, use the OEM hardware (blots, springs and nuts). When you tighten the hardware the donut gasket will sink into the 3" hole farther than into a 2.5" hole. But, it will not sink in all the way. It will seal once the hardware is fully seated. Torque to 12-15lbs. I am running my set up (Cobb DP to CXL CBE) this way for 5000 miles with no issues. I even went and took 5 trips down the quarter mile on Saturday at street legal days. No leaks.

Sorry for the confusion, I am getting old.

-Mike

You can run a stage 2 set up with the OEM CBE. Or with just cans too. Best advice is to buy them from the classifieds. Cans are FS all the time.

Also, you probably don't need to adjust your tune for the CBE. You could (might gain 10-13 HP), but you don't have too.

a little off topic but what are the HP differences with a stg 2 tune with just a cbe versus say a cxl CBE and erz dp?

got mine on today. Pics soon when I get home to my macbook. The flange where the Y pipe meets the mid rubs the tunnel a little bit (anybody get that?) I also need to go back and check my stock downpipe connection to the cbe. Not sure if I installed correct. I ripped off donut and just used supplied gasket and bolts and we threaded it in. I'm assuming I might need to use a 2.5 - 3 inch adapter....any thots. Please don't berrate me for my methods LOL I just like to DIY when I can. No leaks tho :) and she definitely sounds like a proper subie

here is a pic where the mid and y connection rubs the heatshield...im pretty sure the mid is in correctly.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq153/mdksdmf/Subaru%20legacy%20GT/CIMG0139.jpg

and heres the popular muffler misalignment dilemma everyone is dealing with. not bad for 370 shipped. i will be looking into bending the y pipes for better fit

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq153/mdksdmf/Subaru%20legacy%20GT/CIMG0137.jpg

excuse my palm pre camera pics. i tried to clean em up on my macbook b4 posting

here is another pic of the mid installed "correctly". i installed the mid to DP without a donut gasket....MAKE SURE U ORDER A NEW OEM DONUT AND KEEP THE STOCK SPRING BOLTS when u install the CXL 3 inch cbe to a stock 2.5 DP. other wise you are gonna have to go under there and do it again the right time like i am going to...lol

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq153/mdksdmf/Subaru%20legacy%20GT/CIMG0127.jpg

Looks like it is in right. I don't have the rub, but looks like a hammer could fix it, lol. Hit the heatshield, not the pipe.

I will look more closely when the wife brings the car home. But, I don't recall a rub. I remember it being close enough to take some skin off my hands, but not rubbing.

Are your tips at least in the same location of the cut out, like mine. If they are not centered but it is even side to side it looks ok.

No stage 2 with OEM DP unless it is gutted. You can run stage 2 with the OEM CBE. Stage 2 with Aftermarket CBE is approx 10-13hp more than OEM CBE. Not from OTS maps (that I know of) but from a custom tune a few extra ponies can be squeezed.

sprank..being an x-carpenter...i never hit with a hammer...i simply PERSUADE lol. tips are in same location of the cutouts so the alignment is crappy yet correct. the left is slightly closer to the inside but im going to exhaust shop to havem bend it proper. or i might do it at my coaches Horsepower shop (hes a big V8 guy but lets me wrench at his garrage god bless him) and i will be utilizing mr infamous' resources via opensource once my monthly bills are paid. ooo ya. the mid and y flange that rubs the heatshield isnt really that much of an audible problem but im assuming that im not hearing it cause of the brand new tone that im not yet used to.

I ran into a guy at the store tonight in my town running an auto o7 lgt full xo2 exhaust (up and downpipe) and a blitz induction cover and custom tune from a local guy on acessport. Took me for a ride and sounded great. Definitely not crazzzy loud. His dp was uncatted and wasn't loud enough for me to complain. Said no leaks or problems. Cheers to x02 makin great stuff

If you are referring to the ERZ Downpipe, it fits great. I posted install pictures in a previous thread. I like it so much, I bought one for my dads 2002 WRX too.

I have no personal experience with the ERZ uppipe. I have been told that it fits fine (by another member who used it). Price of an ERZ uppipe makes it very tempting. If it is built anything like the downpipe, it is a quality piece.

I hear rumor of an upcoming LGT exhaust from ERZ. I am VERY interested in trying that piece once/if it becomes available.

M spank what rumor

MDK- i really encourage you to go the open source route, sell your AP and use that money, i bet you, you will have cash left over =)

be seriously shamar(infamous1) is a great guy. if you have a laptop your set just read and re read all the "flashing and data loggin w/ ebay vagcom" threads. download ecu flash, romraider, and romraider learning view and your set. make sure to change the port settings of the cable or it will not read your ECU.. youll read about that in all the stickies :)

thanks TJ i havent purchased an AP as i am researching my methods. i checked out romraiders site last night and im definately going that route. what kind of cable do i need to go from my obdII - usb on laptop?

Since you have an '05 all you need is the VAG-Com cable from eBay. It should come with the OBDII adapter and a USB cable. If you have a laptop with USB and Windows XP/Vista/7 you are good to go. For the price of an AP you can buy a cable, laptop and Infamous tune. Then you get a laptop too, lol.

So...a thread asking what we think about a set of cans is not "rumor" of a new CBE in the works? Come on. If it quacks like a duck...

Archived