LegacyGT.com

LCA Bushing replacement; Myself or outsource?

wsmith30132

OK, so here is my delima. I have new Group-N LCA front and rear bushings. I had planned on doing this myself but from talking to a senior member on here my thought process wasn't the brightest. I talked to the local Subaru dealer and if I take my LCA's in loose it would be $300.00 to press the 4 old ones out and the 4 news ones in. A local mechanic's shop would do it for $100 but wont warrenty anything if they mess them up since i am bringing them in loose.

I'm not one for cheap tools but harbor freight has 12-ton arbor press for $130. The only problem would be finding a dye to match up the O.D. But hell, I could do it myself and not have the downtime of taking them to a shop plus if it messes up its on me, not a shop that wont warranty it.

Anyone know of where i can get the specail tool or something like a socket where the O.D. matches up a few hundreths less of the Bushings?

Thanks

^^ Rao, is that a new Beemer? what happened? You should have thrown that muscle in a Mercades! I mean you wouldnt dare throw DINO in your sube would you???

Yeah, I dont trust our local dealer. I double checked with the guy to make sure we were on the same page. I'm not sure why he quoted me so high? I dont trust dealers or even alot of machanics for that matter...

I have looked at those kits but i cant find one that lists the deminsions of all of the adaptors. Honestly i probally just use sh.40 pipe and all-thread. I'll just have to find sockets or pay someone to turn some pipe down to match up O.D.'s. Thanks for the advice, ill update in a couple weeks.

A local mechanic wanted $700+ for just the two large ones, or $300 just to press old ones out and put new ones in if I brought in the LCAs. Obviously, I don't use that shop anymore.

I ended up doing the LCA bushings myself. The hardest parts were getting the LCA off at the knuckles, and pushing the new bushings in. Just getting the bushings in took a good 3 hours, but I only had a small mechanical press. Just make sure that it goes in straight. I heard some people got their LCA ruined b/c the bushings were pushed in at an angle and widened the hole too much. I measured the depth with a caliper as it was going in to make sure that it was even.

The hardest part is really removing the ball joint with out jacking it up. I used a KD pitman arm puller, it works great and won't bugger the rubber boot. You will put a fair amount of force on it and then crack the ball joint is separated.

Since you have the bushings you can go buy sockets that can push and receive. The hardest part is getting the new bushings started. Also the larger of the 2 LCA bushings must be orientated the same way as the original bushing, so either mark where the holes are in bushing or something so you get the new ones orientated like the old ones. The bushings have holes in them for a reason.

Just a heads up. Teape Subaru out here in Hurst, TX just quoted me $47.50 to press in both Whiteline KCA334 bushings. I had already removed the control arms and cut out the old bushings. Actually, I had used a 3-ton manual press to press out the rubber bushing material and inner cylinder. Then I used a small hacksaw to cut through the outer cylinder that was still inside the control arm. Just have to be careful not to cut too much.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Archived