LegacyGT.com

DIY Clutch Replacement Video

Scruit

Vacation pics are super useful for lots of projects.

One minor addition to BMB's instructions- you probably want to put some nickel anti seize on the studs, bolts and face of the transmission/engine interface. If you ever have to do the clutch again in the future, it makes it much easier to get everything separated.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be careful sliding both the axles out-of, and back-into the transmission. Also, put some SuperLube (or at least oil it well) around the driveshaft before you slide it into the tail housing so that it doesn't buff or bind and curl/tear the rear oil seal.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 months later...
Anyone know if it's safe to mix different brands for clutch disks/ plates? I have a Southbend stage 2 kit with my 6mt, but the disk looks smoked. I can't find a southbend disk, it looks like I'd have to buy a whole new kit. Could I just use this plate/flywheel with an ACT disk?

• 3 years later...

While I've never pulled the motor, I'd be stunned to learn it would be a preferred method. I did it the old fashioned way, rolling around on the concrete driveway 4th of July weekend 2011.

Hope it all goes well!

Edited by Richard T

Is the consensus that this is the preferred method for DOHC over pulling the engine? Has anyone detailed that method? I'm replacing the clutch & flywheel this weekend.

Do you have your own engine hoist ? If you look at what is needed to pull the engine and pull the tranny, it might be just as much labor or a little more but you get to install the clutch out where you can work in easy.

If you have a lift, pulling the tranny may be easier.

I learned putting the engine back in, I needed to jack up the back of the car to line up the input shaft.

see my click here link in my sig. see the words a ways down in post 146.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I do have a hoist and I'm thinking it would have been a bit easier doing it alone to go that route but I'm already separated but trans is still sitting on the long studs. I think I'm going to get the hoist on the front of the trans and then use the floor jack to manage the rear for tilt.

If you have a lift, yes I believe that's how the dealership does it.

Like the rear diff, they pop out as you lower the diff forward and down.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Ugh, the stock (Exedy FJK1001) clutch I put in just 50k ago is now slipping in 5th when the turbo kicks in. I knew this clutch wasn't going to last forever, but was hoping for maybe more like 75k????

Anyway, couple of questions: What do I need to do this time around? I've got the SMFW from the Exedy FJK1001FW kit, so I presume I don't need to replace that but do I need to get it resurfaced? Do I need both a new friction plate and pressure plate? Any recommendations on a clutch that will last at least a little longer without breaking the bank or chattering?

Thanks, and excited to see how much easier this job is after anti-seizing the bell housing and pins and stuff last time.

The smfw can be resurfaced for around $75.00

Exedy makes a HD clutch for this car if you'd like.

Or contact one of the trusted Vendors like Mike at http://www.infamousperformance.net and ask his advice. Another place would be http://www.AZPinstalls.com call Mike or Rey and ask them.

They can sell you what you need.

You can tell them I sent you.

You might even call Exedy and ask them, I use Spec Clutches and find them very helpful on the phone or email.

Thanks Max, gonna give AZPInstalls a call this week.

Good to hear.

Also, use Motul Gear 300 for the fluid in the tranny and rear diff. Mike or Rey can sell you that too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello I have a 05 LGT and when I bought it from the guy he said he changed the clutch about 23k ago. Just the other day I started to hear a squeal noise when releasing the clutch pedal only. Kinda sounds like a quick burn out when dumping the clutch. I’m not sure if he did replace the TOB or pilot bearing. It however is a clutchmaster stage 2. I have heard no good things about them. But I’m just trying to figure it out before possibly rippin the engine out. Even though it is fun.

Also #2 question. Only when it’s wet out or snowing hard my car can barely even take off from a stop light. Feels like it’s bogging out and won’t go. I know I am throwing a CEL for bad ignition coil in cyclender 2. But like I said, only when really wet or after a car wash, which is the first time I noticed it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's several clutch issue threads. Search is your friend.

Search on "Clutch" using "Search Titles Only" pull-down and you'll likely find the information you need.

Same with "bogging from a stop" but choose "Search entire thread" to find the info you seek.

Post in those threads.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...