LegacyGT.com

2010 Tribeca Fail

legandrex

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we need to start a new thread without "Fail" in the title. Sure, a wheel choice may not have been good, but wheels are an easy thing to change. How about choosing some real faults. The Tribeca doesn't have many when compared to its competition.

Sure, it could use some additional room for 3rd-row seating, and, sure, it could use a better stereo (at least in my '07), but it has been a great vehicle for me. I've been quite happy with my purchase.

I've even used it as a mini RV on a couple of occasions. Sure, it's a little cramped, but with the 2nd and 3rd rows folded, it makes a decent sleeper (with a good memory-foam pad to cushion the hard plastic on the 2nd-row seats). A smidge longer would have been perfect, but it does fine in a pinch.

Maybe we need to start a new thread without "Fail" in the title. Sure, a wheel choice may not have been good, but wheels are an easy thing to change. How about choosing some real faults. The Tribeca doesn't have many when compared to its competition.

Sure, it could use some additional room for 3rd-row seating, and, sure, it could use a better stereo (at least in my '07), but it has been a great vehicle for me. I've been quite happy with my purchase.

I've even used it as a mini RV on a couple of occasions. Sure, it's a little cramped, but with the 2nd and 3rd rows folded, it makes a decent sleeper (with a good memory-foam pad to cushion the hard plastic on the 2nd-row seats). A smidge longer would have been perfect, but it does fine in a pinch.

mods be slackin'

The overpriced 2010 thread still has its title even though the OP didn't read the article and notice it was actually about the 2009. Oh yeah... and there was that thread regarding the launch of the Outback that was retardedly titled as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I firmly believe Subaru's plan was to grow the Tribeca, until the gas prices shot through the roof and sales nose-dived.

My local dealer was saying that the '08 refresh had boosted sales. Then we saw $4.00/gallon gas and sales tanked. If it weren't for that, the Tribeca would be on schedule for an increase in size in 2011/12.

after seeing a new Outback next to a new Tribeca today, I'm wondering what the point of the Tribeca is (beyond the third row of seats).

I was driving behind a new Outback today and couldn't help notice that with respect to height and length, there was very little difference between the Outback and the Tribeca. I like the Tribeca more because:

(1) post-purchase rationalization

(2) third row emergency seating

(3) less bulbous looking...same reason I chose the 2005 Legacy GT wagon over the 2005 Outback.

-mhl

I think the exterior of the Tribeca is better than Outback, too.

Tribeca is at least smoother and has a better flow of design, and looks more cohesive.

As big CUV type vehicles... might as well get the real deal, and Tribeca makes no pretense, it is a CUV.

Outback used to be an alternative to a CUV, it was a lifted wagon. Now Outback is a CUV still trying to bear resemblance to that previous lifted wagon...

Nope.

Legacy used to be a sedan and a wagon. Normal sized ones.

Outback was a package on that, that raised the ride height of a normal sized car.

Now Outback is a full-on high roof height (measured from floor pan) CUV, not a car alternative to a CUV. It is as big as a CUV, inside and out, and rides just as high.

Legacy is the sedan based on the Outback, now. No longer the other way around, and is portly and ugly because of it.

You guys are still wrong. The 2010 Legacy Sedan was developed first... not the other way around. And on a side note... do you not know what a CUV is? it's a vehicle that's based on a car platform with SUV like attributes such as ground clearance and ride height. A CUV is a CUV whether it was a 1998 Outback (crossover Wagon), 2002 Pacifica (crossover minivan), or a 2009 Tribeca (Crossover SUV). They are all Crossovers...

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys are still wrong. The 2010 Legacy Sedan was developed first... not the other way around. And on a side note... do you not know what a CUV is? it's a vehicle that's based on a car platform with SUV like attributes such as ground clearance and ride height. A CUV is a CUV whether it was a 1998 Outback (crossover Wagon), 2002 Pacifica (crossover minivan), or a 2009 Tribeca (Crossover SUV). They are all Crossovers...

Actually, Exiga was developed first, it just isn't sold here.

Outback and Legacy are based on that.

But both Outback and Legacy look like they were styled like SUVs, and Outback's roof height, and pronounced fender flares are present on Legacy, where they are not required.

One of the CUV attributes being a high roof line above the car's floor, in addition to high ride height. Outback didn't previously have the the tall interior room that it now does. Nor did Legacy have it, either. Now Legacy is one of the tallest sedans in it's class, from floor to roof.

And why, oh sycophantic one, would Subaru design an outback after a Legacy, when for the last two generations, Outback has outsold Legacy 5 to 1. Why would Outback not set the terms of the design?

Why would a sedan that was designed "first" according to you, have the tall roof and huge fender flares? Why would those not be ADDED to the later Outback design?

Because Outback set the terms of the design, not Legacy.

Keep dreamin, man. You certainly don't seem willing to wake up.

BTW... if Subaru were paying more than just lip service to Legacy being a sporty sedan... and if it were standing on it's own design merits... it might have looked a little more like a sportier premium sedan.

http://media2.paultan.org/image/kia-knd5-concept-1.jpg

If that car had a Subaru drivetrain under it... I would be planning for financial conditions to trade my car in for that.

Your comment about Exiga must have been based off of misunderstanding my statement. The Legacy Sedan was the lead project between the two cars. Exiga was it's only little project.

Obviously the Legacy could have down without the Outback's fender flares as the ROW does not have them. Subaru stated when the Tribeca launched that the domed roof, fender flares, and the corporate schnozz were the 3 traits future Subaru models would share. Obviously the airplane grille didn't stick around, and who knows why the non STI impreza doesn't have fender flares... but those traits came from the mouth of FHI.

Legacy and Outback are still a global platform... and the the Outback doesn't sell nearly as well versus the other models in ROW. I don't know of any company that engineers their crossover first and then back pedals it into a sedan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you do now.

There is no reason for the Legacy Sedan to look the way it does, other than being translated from Outback.

Your marketing talking points are lip service, even if you are repeating FHI. The proof is in the sheetmetal.

ROW Legacys have fender flares, they just aren't quite as blatantly horrific as the US model has. The roof is just as high. The car still looks like a CUV in a car costume.

Subaru USED to say that a boxer engine's low height had the benefit of keeping cowl and hoodlines low, and low frontal area, and superior visibility. Where have those talking points gone? Legacy doesn't do that anymore. I guess Subaru sometimes does things other than what they say... Gee, whiz.

you do now.

There is no reason for the Legacy Sedan to look the way it does, other than being translated from Outback.

Your marketing talking points are lip service, even if you are repeating FHI. The proof is in the sheetmetal.

ROW Legacys have fender flares, they just aren't quite as blatantly horrific as the US model has. The roof is just as high. The car still looks like a CUV in a car costume.

no bro...

you do now.

Subaru USED to say that a boxer engine's low height had the benefit of keeping cowl and hoodlines low, and low frontal area, and superior visibility. Where have those talking points gone? Legacy doesn't do that anymore. I guess Subaru sometimes does things other than what they say... Gee, whiz.

and that pinched nose looked weirder and weirder as the cars got bigger. Pedestrian safety standards are probably what lifted the hood. Subaru may have overkilled it a bit... but they don't screw around on acing crash tests.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

after seeing a new Outback next to a new Tribeca today, I'm wondering what the point of the Tribeca is (beyond the third row of seats).

I would say the outback would appeal to those that really like the wagon body style, but in my opinion the tribeca looks WAY more refined classy.

I drove the original with 3.0L H6 - it sounded like a diesel. I hope the 3.6L sounds better.

Apparently you haven't driven the latest diesels out there?

Like the new A3, 335d or Bluetec Mercedes...

Seriously considering buying one for me in the future, should they offer in a wagon style....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

...Noone [sic] put enough miles on these nor upgraded power to see how much it holds. Probably noone [sic] even opened one to asses [sic] the gear sizes. If they had to cram the extra gear it's not impossible the unit is weaker than the BL/BP's 5MT.

This is possibly true. But will we ever really know?

• 3 years later...
Waiting for news about Tribeca next year. our 07 is still a great vehicle. Hope Subaru does not cancel it out and introduces 2nd gen Tribeca next year.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

have absolutely the same experience.Weird .Have three kids and camping a lot.the bad is the mileage but other than that just perfect car.80000 just oil and gas.

My problem is not just the mileage, but the range. If Subaru made the fuel tank larger, I don't think I would not mind as much.

Also what is the deal with the non-universal wiper arm on the driver side! It makes finding replacement blades a pain.

Archived