LegacyGT.com

Next Car

So the legacy is going and almost gone. Next car will be high teens to low 20's. I'm thinking either a used 2005-2006 s4 or a toyota fj. While these are completely different vehicles its pretty much what I've limited my interests too. I do not ever want to get into a high hp turbo car without a warranty again, and I want something reliable. Needs to have AWD so I can get to and from the ski mountains and since it will be my only car so it must work in all weather conditions.

I toyed with the idea of an EVO as a DD and it was the most terrible idea ever. Pretty much I need something that isnt going to provoke me to mod it, is reliable, and can get through all weather. The only thing that is even remotely fast in this price range that I could find is used s4's. Still will be slow as shit compared to my LGT :(.

Anyone have any other ideas? How is maintenance with the 8cylinders s4's?

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Anyone have any other ideas? How is maintenance with the 8cylinders s4's?

Like most any other out of warranty German car, they have the potential to eat you alive in repair bills.

If the Fj is your other choice then go for it, just keep in mind that the mod bug may bite again with one of those too. Whatever you do don't ever obtain an ARB catalog or you will find your wallet once again in danger....:lol:

I would try to find an Fj with the 6 speed manual since they have full time AWD with a Torsen center diff. They're good reliable little trucks that are easy to maintain, and will go just about anywhere. They'll get you places your LGT could only dream of going.

My vote is on the FJ. I would have gotten one if I wanted a truck, but ultimately I know I'm not a truck guy and would have ended up wanting to be lower to the ground again. I go to pick up my new ride and drop my LGT off for good in 2 and 1/2 hours. I feel like a little kid on the night of christmas eve.

If the Fj is your other choice then go for it, just keep in mind that the mod bug may bite again with one of those too. Whatever you do don't ever obtain an ARB catalog or you will find your wallet once again in danger.....

That is true. Trucks will give you a different kind of mod bug. Instead of looking for go fast parts, you'll be spending money on offroad lights, brush guards, roof racks, etc....... Other then the blind spot problem with FJs the only other negative I heard was that they don't get very good gas mileage.

I've been thinking about this too. I love my manual wagon and if anything ever happened to mine I'd want to replace it with another. just know what with.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

IMHO, Subaru still has an offering for you if you're OK with "staying in the family" and "getting more of the same". Just go with an H6 motor. Decent power stock, smooth, NA so it won't provoke serious modding.

Wat? Outback, paritcularly the new monster, is not a replacement for Legacy wagon, regardless of power train.

I wasn't necessarily referring to anything new per se in the Subaru line-up, I just thought that if opie is looking for awd and not a turbo car so he won't be tempted to mod, the NA H6-es are still nice to have.

Yours is a matter of opinion, I happen to like the new OB. As a matter of fact it is the only incarnation of the new design that I think looks decent.

I wasn't necessarily referring to anything new per se in the Subaru line-up, I just thought that if opie is looking for awd and not a turbo car so he won't be tempted to mod, the NA H6-es are still nice to have.

Yours is a matter of opinion, I happen to like the new OB. As a matter of fact it is the only incarnation of the new design that I think looks decent.

Your post seemed to be an response to c-lo's post.

NA 3.6L H6 is an interesting engine, but unfortunately there is no compelling package using it. A car like BP/BL w/3.6L w/6speed STI type tranny would be awesome car indeed. Fast enough and more reliable than the turbo four. I guess the only way to have one is to build one...

I think the touted Japanese reliability is a thing of a past, so you may as well go German :) I'd go for a Beemer over Audi. Better handling, better engineering, more aftermarket and ethusiasts support.

Too bad you insist on AWD, because e39 M5 would be great. You could always put some hardcore winter tires and I bet you would get around just fine.

Your post seemed to be an response to c-lo's post.

NA 3.6L H6 is an interesting engine, but unfortunately there is no compelling package using it. A car like BP/BL w/3.6L w/6speed STI type tranny would be awesome car indeed. Fast enough and more reliable than the turbo four. I guess the only way to have one is to build one...

Yeah, sorry, it's confusing sometimes, I was reply-ing to opie.

All good reasoning on what you wrote and I agree.

However, I may disagree with you on the German suggestion and the better engineering part. I can cite several mecahnically wrong decisions that I have noted/read about on, say, our Mini (BMW built). If you want sporty/lux, German is a step in the right direction. But if you want reliability and cost of ownership, it's probably a step in the wrong direction.

I think the touted Japanese reliability is a thing of a past, so you may as well go German :) I'd go for a Beemer over Audi. Better handling, better engineering, more aftermarket and ethusiasts support.

Too bad you insist on AWD, because e39 M5 would be great. You could always put some hardcore winter tires and I bet you would get around just fine.

My brother has an e39 m5. Its a beast, but his clutch is going and an oil return line popped a couple months back. He doesnt do any of the mechanical work himself, but the repair costs on the oil line and new clutch are hefty enough to dissuade me from wanting to go that route. + I want AWD. I dont see myself modding a truck, maybe ill throw a roof rack on the FJ, but that's about it.

IF you aren't overly worried about warranty, you may also want to consider a 00-03 Audi S8. The looks are dated some, but with a 360hp V8 that is near built proof, real awd, and for a "big" car it really doesn't drive like one. Plus you'd probably be able to pick one up for the $10k-$15k area. The only real problems that would crop up on them are overheating usually caused by a stuck thermostat and car loosing reverse which is a trans. You can get a remaned trans for around $3k or a new one for around $8k.

I know you can get a 03-04 RS6 for your price, but I highly suggest not doing it.

The only other Audi I would suggest is a 04-95 Allroad 4.2L. It is the same exact engine as the S4 in a A6 avant body with air suspension. It was a total sleeper cause visually you couldn't tell the difference from a regular Allroad.

http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!Bc8W(9wBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DQEqtV2Dy8dBK2)-KN9hg~~_3.JPG

I dont see myself modding a truck, maybe ill throw a roof rack on the FJ, but that's about it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As a truck owner, I can tell you from experience that is what you are telling yourself now..... just wait. It will start the first time you drive through a muddy nasty spot on a dirt road (oh trust me you'll start to seek them out when it rains), or decide to drive over some rocky terrain that the LGT would never have done. You'll end up thinking to yourself "You know, that was kind of fun..."

Then you will find yourself doing it more and more often, your vehicle will frequently be covered in dirt, dust, mud, and bits of foliage. Then you will start to see the short comings of the factory equipment, first it will be those namby-pamby highway tires that Toyota put on... "what on earth are those doing on a 4X4?" you will say. Soon $1000 will be spent on a real set of all terrain tires, which you will find are an enormous improvement. Within a short time after that you will discover that a lead acid battery is not so great at being shaken and bounced around, you will then spend $240 on the biggest, baddest dry AGM battery you can fit under the hood. With all the extra juice you will now have, a set of really powerful driving lights will seem to make a lot of sense.... along with something to mount them on. Soon a suspension upgrade will start making a lot of sense too....

While your statement has validity i just dont see myself doing that. I really just want a truck I can depend on, is nice, unique, and can go in all weather. I've pretty much not had a car for a year now because of my LGT, its just retarded at this point.

Penguin, that's how my fish hobby took off. I bought a betta for my wife in a small half gallon bowl. Then I got a 5.5 gallon tank with substrate, decor, etc. Then I got a 10 gallon tank and went with real plants and a real substrate. Then I got a second 10 gallon tank and started CO2 injection and ditched the dinky "all purpose" fertilizers and read up on NPK and the like. THEN I inherited a 75gallon tank from my parents and it continued to go downhill from there :D

Sometimes my wife will stare at the 75 and say ... I can't believe ALL this started from a stupid bowl.

Archived