LegacyGT.com

Chump car challange

Tracer-X

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of how to drive and how not to drive: if you see yellow flags and/or tow trucks, just release the gas pedal, don't hit the brakes. Skip to 39:20 to see why...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6LOXuhmvnU]ChumpCar Nelson Ledges Justin Mitchell Sat 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Someone a couple cars up mashed the brakes when the tow truck came into view, causing a pile-up behind him. In the Chump forum where I found that link, someone on the BMW's team wrote...

Yeah, that is going to cost us $400+ for a new cell housing. I know it was just as much the fault of the cars up front that got on the brakes for no reason, but this guy was on the throttle way to late for that many cars ahead and a white flag in clear view (and then made no attempt to avoid by ducking into the grass, but Im sure thats debatable). There was all sorts of carnage behind him as well, and at least 4 cars ended up in the grass like I did. Im glad I gave the guy in front of me a lot of room, and was ready on the brakes, but it doesnt keep me from being pissed. That was typical driving for the day, just run on the ragged edge and screw the other guy.

Also, keep an eye out for flag stations and yellow trucks ahead, so you'll have a chance to increase your following distance in case the driver in front of you doesn't notice until the last second, and panics.

It took me a while to get into the habit of checking the flag stations, honestly I don't think I was doing it consistently until the second race because I was so focused on controlling the car during the first race. I didn't have any related mishaps but that was more due to luck than skill, which is not the right way to stay out of trouble. :)

At the driver-school lecture and the pre-race driver's meeting they tell you to wave at the flag stations... I think that's not because it really matters that you wave at them, but if you're waving at them then you're paying attention to them, and paying attention matters.

Wow, I hadn't seen this video.

A quick refresher for people who've forgotten (or didn't know) their flags: a white flag means there's a slow-moving vehicle on track ahead. You're allowed to race, but not near the slow-moving vehicle; if it's a tow vehicle, you queue up behind it and do NOT pass it until you're waved by. This tends to create a line of slow-moving traffic. If you go to make an aggressive move while you pass a white flag, like this guy did, you can expect trouble. I kept re-watching the last few minutes of this video to see if the driver was black-flagged, and I'm really surprised he wasn't. I'm also surprised he didn't even come into the pits to have the team look at the car. I love how he talks about the guy who hit his brakes up ahead as "the person who caused it." Sorry, the person who caused this is the guy who nailed the back of the BMW ahead of him.

In addition to occasionally waving at the flag stations, I like to wave my hand around like a madman whenever I see a yellow, white, or red flag, just on the off chance the guy behind me (who I always assume isn't looking at the flag stations) will see my hand waving around and realize that I'm not slowing down to let him by...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

For anyone not on the ChumpCar forums - new rule changes effective immediately:

8.2.1. On-track driving infractions will be reported to the Steward by a corner worker or ChumpCar staffer.

8.2.1.1. Prior to the start of an event, the entry list will be printed and presented to Race Control for recording all on-track driving infractions. Infractions will be compiled, measured and weighed by infraction(s) against BOTH driver(s) and team.

8.2.1.2. Clarification: a single, serious infraction by a driver may result in the DQ and expulsion of the entire team; and/or, the total number of infractions of any team (regardless of severity) may result in the DQ and expulsion of the entire team – at the discretion of the Chief Steward.

8.2.2. The Chief Steward will use his/her discretion if and/or when to apply a Black Flag for the following driver (on-track) incidents and/or infractions, based on the frequency of the infraction:

* Four-off

* Spin

* Blocking or unsafe pass

* Unintentional (racing) contact

8.2.3 The Chief Steward is REQUIRED to issue a Black Flag for the following driver (on-track) incidents and/or infractions, regardless of whether the infraction is a first offense:

* Intentional course cutting: continuous or multiple two- or four-off

* Unsafe course entry / re-entry (incl. disregard for blend lines)

* Excessive speed / unsafe driving in pit lane and/or paddock area

* Repeated blocking and/or hazardous driving

* Unsafe and/or overly-aggressive driving that places other cars at-risk

* Any action that places an event worker or spectator at risk

* Intentional contact

* Unintentional contact resulting from negligence, carelessness, unsafe passing or lack of control

* Contact with any course barrier (incl. k-wall, tire-wall, barrel, course marker and/or assemblage of cones demarcating the course boundaries

8.2.4 Penalties – The following are actions that may be taken against any driver and/or team for ANY of the infractions listed above in Sections 8.2.2 and/or 8.2.3:

* Warning / furled Black Flag

* Black Flag (consultation)

* Black Flag Impound:

-- The MINIMUM for any first offense Black Flag that requires an impound penalty shall be 5 minutes… or… equivalent to 2 laps at any given track

-- Second offense @ 3X time penalty (equal to 6 laps)

-- Third offense @ 10X time penalty (equal to 20 laps)

-- Four or more Black Flags: penalties to be issued at the discretion of the Steward based on severity and frequency

* Mandatory driver change

* Team Captain meeting with the Chief Steward

* Driver removal from the event

* Team removal from the event

They say those little pylons outside of T7 are, indeed, course markers. So don't hit 'em :p

Team Pony Express

Thanks Spoon. Between now and race day, I will be compile a list of rules for TPE, points awarded for infractions, etc.

E.g. insufficient Voodoo donuts for team ..... yeah I am looking at you LegGTLT.

I have enough drama for now.....

I've been following that and we just need to buy a seat back brace that will bolt on to the back of our seat and to the roll cage. It will be adjustable and will slide with the seat.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

It looks to me like it doesn't necessarily need to bolt to the seat, as long as it's in contact with it.

While that is true, our seat has provisions for a seat brace to attach to it if we want to go that route.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

Grab that ShakeWeight Boys!!

your forearms have never been taxed as they will.

Shakeweight is SOOOOOO 2010. Aaron has us all using this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YowPM7yZv2U]Tug Tone - YouTube[/ame]

Team Pony Express

Archived