LegacyGT.com

Chump car challange

Tracer-X

How about an evening early next week (29th-31st)? This week filled up with startling quickness this evening...

I'm also going to go see Senna at the Landmark Varsity sometime next week, if anyone else is interested. I'm gone this coming weekend, and it's only slated as running from the 26th to the 1st...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about an evening early next week (29th-31st)? This week filled up with startling quickness this evening...

Let's plan for either the 29th or 30th then. We can dial it in later.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

I'm in a wedding on the 10th. :( The only wedding I'm actually in all summer for a very good friend. Any way to do a Sunday meet? I know we all like Saturdays better and just changed one to a Sunday last week, but that's the only way I can make it. :spin:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Let's plan for either the 29th or 30th then. We can dial it in later.

Sounds good!

I'm in a wedding on the 10th. :( The only wedding I'm actually in all summer for a very good friend. Any way to do a Sunday meet? I know we all like Saturdays better and just changed one to a Sunday last week, but that's the only way I can make it. :spin:

The only problem with that plan is that you and I would be at the same meet. The world might asplode.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Let's play that by ear when time gets closer and see what other people can do.

EL4NFZT7

I've been tracking Tommy's package and it will be here Friday! Can wait to get it in my hands and show you guys at the next meat! You guys will all enjoy it, A LOT!!!

EL4NFZT7

hey everyone! ive returned from my travels and its time to go back to work....and buy stuff for the Waggy.

seems like things are still fun here and i hope all are well. forgive me if i hijack the thread but id like to ask for tire/wheel size advice from peeps i trust. ive gotten lost in the 2,000 posts on the wheels thread soooo, here felt the best place and its quicker than PM's

im looking at getting a dedicated track tire/wheel package but im getting caught up in the number sizing game. :spin:

currently i have rota gravel 18x8 e48. with 235x40 gt eagles. fit and look great with amazing grip on 2 track days. but im begining to tear them up and i want to keep tracking so that means dedicated tires.

with the increase in size from stock 215x45 e55 17x7 wheels, current size is about 0.8" taller than stock but weight is the same. this taller size could be messing with acceleration and top speed so im wondering if i should go back to a stock size.

but i would think current wider tire adds significant grip and lower profile sidewall reduces flex.

have you come accross ideas/theories on best size of tire? specifically side wall and flex? regardless of tire brand, just based on general size.

if i go to a 17x7.5 or 17x8 to get width im stuck with running simmiliar stock sized sidewall to maintain diamerter but that means ill have that giant sidewall again. that cant be good?? this size wheel saves another 2#'s from 18", that could be good on acceleration too. but will sidewall flex too much??

if i stay with 18x8 but reduce the sidewall to reach stock diameter then would it be to thin. since its a track tire i dont really have to worry about potholes but is a certain level of sidewall needed for track use? if i did a 235x35 id loose 0.47" of sidewall to get to stock diameter. roughtly from 3.7" down to 3.2". this would be ever so slightly shorter than stock by 0.8%

thanks for any insight or direction. i plan to be at Pacific RAceway this Sep 15th.

peace

im using this site for sizing

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

im thnking these Sparco Assetto Gara wheels for price to weight and quality. they are 2.5# lighter than current rotas. it would be twice the price to drop another 2# for an Enkie

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29039506B&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=Assetto+Gara&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Wagon+2.5+GT+Limited&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

whats the TPE think of these from last season, will you use again?

The next set of summer tires I get for my LGT will be Star Specs. I liked them a lot on the Pony Express.QUOTE]

Cool! any ideas on size or wheel you will or are running? concerns with taller tire impacting performance?

thanks

more searching has shown that Since the star spec does not come in 235/35/18 but a 225/40/18. why get the 18x8 wheel then? the 225 Tire is .39” narrower than 235. seems like id be wasting the width and weight of bigger rim. just get 17x8 or 7.5 wheel and 235/40/17 tire. Save weight and money. Get the width and slightly shorter than stock height. Ugh but then I have a large sidewall again. I think Boxkita was having trouble with the high sidewall and sidewall wear. Or maybe that was his stock setup that allowed it to role/flex.

It is still frustrating to loose the 0.39” of width. Seems insignificant but that’s a bit more footprint traction. It would only be another 0.4” from the 225 to the stock 215.

So if large sidewall is bad then I guess the added weight (and wasted width) of the 18x8 225/40/18 would be better by having a smaller sidewall. With the proposed setup id still be 3.5# lighter per wheel than current setup (I would save an additional 2.5# with the 17x8 setup but weight is a completely different story that I don’t care much about after diameter and sidewall height).

Am I confusing anyone yet? I love talking though this stuff. Anyone have a couch I can lay on and talk about my mother too?

peace

I've had the Star Spec's on my LGT. Love them. However, I now have a set of Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires on the way for my STi. GRM, who have loved the Dunlops rated the Hankooks better this last time up. We'll see.

For wheels and tire size I'd recommend 17x7.5(or)8 and 235/45/17 or 245/40/17. You actually want some give in a tire that's going to the track. Look at the tires on the hardcore auto-x cars, no-shit racecars, track beasts, and F1 cars. Lots of sidewall.

In regards to weight, IIRC, GRM also found that weight made a bigger difference than width. Obviously that was only to a point, and relevant when your talking about close widths.

I'd recommend these wheels:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&showRear=no&filterSize=17&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=&filterNew=&filterBrand=All&filterWeight=W_14_16&initialPartNumber=TS134LG&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Wagon+2.5+GT&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Base+Model

Actually I should have asked this earlier...What's your actual goal? What kind of "track-set-up" do you want? Better torque, better handling, higher top speed, faster acceleration? If you don't have a specific goal, make sure the tire you do go with is the same diameter as stock, but wider.

This combo kind of gives me a chubby:

http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp?confirmMounted=&referralCode=null&tiresMounted=yes&shopTires=true

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

I've had the Star Spec's on my LGT. Love them. However, I now have a set of Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires on the way for my STi. GRM, who have loved the Dunlops rated the Hankooks better this last time up. We'll see.

Weren't the Star Specs the tire with the highest tread wear in that comparo also?

Another thing, there was more recent comparo that was done in the wet and the Star Specs came in first in that test. I don't know if you are doing any track days in the wet (the Pony will always have a chance of driving in the wet) but that is another ting to consider.

EL4NFZT7

Archived