LegacyGT.com

10 dollar 10 minute gauge mod

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cut the LED off the base It came on and put it on the stock bulb base.

did that make a huge difference?

do I just untwist the leads off the LED one and put it on the long base one?

is it enough wire?

I had to cut the top of the LED off carefully with a razor blade as it is glued to the base. But there are components on the wires that you do not want to cut all the way through. I might have had to play with the wires a little, but they were long enough to work. I might have some pictures of it a while back, not sure.

i went back thru the forum and found your post on using the old base and saw your pics. But it was only the finished LED on the old base.

I may give it a shot. But I'm just concerned I may wreck the LED.

update on my gauge cluster.. turns out those superbrightled bulbs suck :-/ the LED behind the fuel gauge is flickering like a damn strobe light now.. the rest are fine..

Same happened with my HVAC controls (same vendor) but those started to go out last year :-/

I think Im going to try another vedor.. gauges still look nice but the damn led flickering is annoying at night.

Make sure all the contacts are clean, and tight. If the contacts started arcing, there could be a layer of carbon on them preventing current flow for an otherwise good bulb/LED. I found the LEDs I put in didn't fit tight so I had to bend the wires out a little to make sure I had good contact.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried what you said. No light. I even tried using the light that is working on the left LCD and it did not light. The bulb that did not light up on the left LCD did work when put behind the right LCD. The contact point does not appear to have any carbon on it. Does this essentially mean it is an issue with the circuitry?

Just cut carefully, and don't cut very deep.

I don't guess I'll be doing any more work on my car. :( Got word from the insurance company that they're totaling it after my accident yesterday morning. :(

Hey I did it. Works. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry about your car. :spin:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, my local subaru isnt any help, they wont or cant give me the bulb numbers and keep trying to sell me the gauge cluster and a new ac unit. all i need is the damn bulbs.. i also called superbrightled.com and they dont know either.. can someone please give me the right bulb info for a 1997 subaru legacy GT?

all i need is..

all hvac/ac bulbs EXCEPT the green one under the buttons. so thats the speed dial, temp control and button icon bulb.

also i need a hazard bulb

and finally a low fuel light. i was thinking of changing all my bulbs for the ac and gauge cluster to white. does anyone know which leds and how many id need to change all of the gauge cluster and ac?

please no guesses, i know someone on here has this info.. thanks everyone..

Try pulling the bulb, bend the wire leads out from the base to about 45 degrees, and put the bulb back in. See if that doesn't fix your problem. If they are flickering it's a bad connection.

hey sorry for the very late update.. crashed that car and got me an outback now. but I pulled the whole gauge cluster out and the LED's were dead all 4 of them.. Now I don't know if I want to buy those same one (5 LED) again.. I knew it was dead when I took it in the house and hooked it up on the bench..

For right now I will do my HVAC controls since the stock bulbs are blown on them.

• 1 year later...
OK, so here's a taste of what actually white gauges look like. I screwed up though and didn't get the fuel gauge completely cleaned up, but it's a good comparison for before and after. I put some mixed white LED's I had laying around in to see what it would look like and I like it. The blue looks better too now that I got the green gunk off the back of the gauges. It's more vibrant and not so dull.

Hi Guys,

I changed my dash to the instrument cluster to the BLUE LEDs and i'm not sure if it was like this in the beginning, but lately I've noticed that the needle is hard to see.

It's not lit up. The numbers light up fine, but the needle is not lit up at all.

Is there a bulb for the needle itself? How can I get the needle to be lit?

Hi Guys,

I changed my dash to the instrument cluster to the BLUE LEDs and i'm not sure if it was like this in the beginning, but lately I've noticed that the needle is hard to see.

It's not lit up. The numbers light up fine, but the needle is not lit up at all.

Is there a bulb for the needle itself? How can I get the needle to be lit?

I can't remember if it was like this from the beginning when I changed the bulbs. I thought I had taken pics way back, but I cannot find them.

This is how it looks today.

As you can see, or not see. The fuel gauge needle is not lit up at all. The speedometer is barely visible and the same goes with the RPM gauge.

I bought the LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs.com

this is what I installed in the instrument cluster.

3 | NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb | |

Blue NEOx-BHP 3mm NEO3-xHP

------------------------------------------------------------

2 | 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb | |

Blue 74-BHP3

------------------------------------------------------------

4 | WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb | |

Blue WLED-BHP5

IMG_1140.thumb.jpg.47f213fc3e60340ace4ce7a0333619c0.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived