LegacyGT.com

10 dollar 10 minute gauge mod

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'll throw some pictures of my interior lights up in a week or so, i have to order three more bulbs and it will be perfect, but i think it looks pretty awesome right now. i'd put some up today, but my friend broke his back yesterday, so i am driving out to colorado today :icon_frow

Another thing I've noticed is that my gauges show up a nice brilliant white but the HVAC and switches are kind of dirty looking. I know they're clean, so I'm not sure if it's just the plastic the light shines through, or because (at least with the switches) the plastic the light bounces off of before exiting is not white like in the gauges, or both. I might be able to do something about it, but it's a little disappointing in the mean time. Granted, even the off-white is better than the stupid green! :rolleyes:

Well, we're getting into a little more than $10 and 10 minutes. :lol: So I fixed my switches. They're bright enough that I can see the white light up in the daylight, and the red looks nice and even (put red LEDs in instead of the amber you get with incandescent bulbs) and bright. I took apart a switch to see what could be done and realized the problem is there are only two small windows in the main switch body for the light to pass through. That eliminates the possibility of reflecting the light out, so I had to "turn" the LEDs to face outward. All I did was cut the glue around the LED (the interface between the circuit board and the plastic base) so that the LED was loose. Then I cut away half of the base away between the base and the top of the twist lock hook. I put the LED's back into the switch and bent over the top of the LED so it shines out. Does this make sense? I'll try to get some pictures tonight when it is dark out of everything reassembled in the car.

DSC_4910.thumb.jpg.893f109973617c5de62ef976fbbc30c8.jpg

DSC_4912.thumb.jpg.53b6bf349c9ff819128f3d6879b7a92d.jpg

DSC_4913.thumb.jpg.0068d1ea876f66b5f0fd6ee3daad313c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a great mod and a helpful how to video but in reading this thread, im getting very confused :confused: I just want to know what bulbs to use for my GAUGE panel.

I see theres 3 choices, WLED Miniature Wedge Base bulbs, WLED Miniature Wedge Base bulbs with High Power SMD LEDs and WLED Miniature Wedge Base bulbs with High Power SMD LEDs - 360 type. those are for the 4 large bulbs. Do i want the 120? or the 360? the 90, I THINK, is no good from what I read?

I want to do a fade from red to blue so I know ill need to replace the smaller bulb which was a 74?

I just want to make sure Im buying the right shit as i want to do this in one shot

There's no one correct way to do it. You'll have to play around with it and get it the way you want it.

So a follow up on my white gauges. I installed my 5 SMD LED bulbs and they are WAY too freaking bright! No joke. I turn the dimmer all the way down and it's about as bright as the brightest setting with the normal bulbs. I'm going to have to put my standard LEDs back in; maybe go back to the blue. The thing is bright enough that at night I practically have to squint a little so it's not distracting, and the reflection of the top of the steering column on the windshield is really annoying. I wouldn't have expected they'd be too bright, but they are.

Hey guys, I was lookin at my car, and I don't think the top buttons can allow light through. I have a 98LGT and I was wondering if maybe I had a replacement HVAC unit or if there are any out there with buttons that are solid.

See... I replaced them today, but my friend broke one of the LEDS, so I put 2 in, and turned looked at them and they were bright, but they only lit up the dial and hot/cold along with the AC button. But the buttons didn't seem to let any light through, so I moved one of the LEDs to the top led spot where the buttons were, and it still seemed to only light up the hot/cold and a/c light.

^this....makes the buttons smoother to push, and youd be surprised how easily the temp control will move after a good cleaning. my recommendation for cleaning: electrical contact cleaner from radio shack and NOT a microfiber towel. an old pair of flanel pj's that can be cut up work best. the microfiber towel will get cought on all the solder points

Archived