LegacyGT.com

Spec B steering rack fit a 2005 legacy GT/Outback XT?

Scooby2.5

Same exact rack at GT. If there is a different in lock-to-lock, it is suspension/wheel size dictating larger turning radius as listed, meaning the wheels can't physically turn as much, not a difference in the rack itself.

It's not exact same. I checked part #s and the part numbers for SpecB, incl. the 06 SpecB is different, and unique to all SpecBs.

It indeed has to do with the larger wheels, it seems. The ratio is the same so it appears, the steering range is limited. SpecB per car101.com has larger turning radius:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2009.html

Hey unclemat, the outback has a really short turning radius, would I be better off trying to find a legacy GT rack to get the quicker steering?

what about an STI rack?

when I looked at cars101 it showed the rack on teh spec B (2007) and the sti as 2.6 turns and the LGT as 2.8, the outback was 3.2

Thanks in advance

here is the data on the 2006 wrx and wrx sti

WRX

Steering variable assist, speed sensitive rack-and-pinion.

Quick Ratio: 16.5:1

STI (same as LGT??)

Quick Ratio steering 15.0:1 Rack and Pinion,

Leather Momo STi wheel

WRX

Turning radius: Lock-to-lock: 2.7 turns

Turning circle: 35.4 ft

STI

Lock-to-lock 2.6 turns

Turning circle: 37.4 ft

Hey unclemat, the outback has a really short turning radius, would I be better off trying to find a legacy GT rack to get the quicker steering?

what about an STI rack?

when I looked at cars101 it showed the rack on teh spec B (2007) and the sti as 2.6 turns and the LGT as 2.8, the outback was 3.2

Thanks in advance

Again, the answer is it is related to wheel diameter. I don't think any (sensibly) lowered non-SpecB LGT guys with larger wheels have any rubbing issues. Besides noone sane installs huge (overall - before someone says, they are 18" :rolleyes:) diameter wheels such as stock SpecB wheels.

Just get regular Legacy rack, which should be pletiful in junkyards.

Again, the answer is it is related to wheel diameter. I don't think any (sensibly) lowered non-SpecB LGT guys with larger wheels have any rubbing issues. Besides noone sane installs huge (overall - before someone says, they are 18" :rolleyes:) diameter wheels such as stock SpecB wheels.

Just get regular Legacy rack, which should be pletiful in junkyards.

someone on the forum had a 2007 spec b rack with only 27000 on it so I was going to get that, but if the turning radius is that much worse I would want the LGT rack.

Could you give us some part number comparisons unclemat?

someone on the forum had a 2007 spec b rack with only 27000 on it so I was going to get that, but if the turning radius is that much worse I would want the LGT rack.

Could you give us some part number comparisons unclemat?

why not get a donor rack and send it to Q-Rack and order exactly what you want?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a SpecB steering rack on my OBXT. I had it swapped at the same time I had the 6MT drivetrain swapped from a SpecB. The SpecB was a total and only had 65K and it didn't cost me anything extra for the parts and the labor, which is why I chose this over a 15+ STi swap. It did make a noticeable difference over the Outback rack. I also have the Perrin steering dampener lockdown.

Archived