LegacyGT.com

Hows this as a clutch/flywheel option?

GP2001

Is the Fred Beans OEM clutch and light flywheel kit a decent setup? http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-994/Subaru-Legacy-GT-O.E.M./Detail I am very basic Cobb Stage 2, drive my car like a normal person, no launching, occasional spirited pulls, and havent ever seen a track day, may want to go once or twice. Would this be a smart and affordable route for me to go? Anyone use this? Also, is the TOB included the improved metal one? If you guys could help and point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I don't have a ton of time to search as this issue all of a sudden popped up and I need to get my car taken care of ASAP. So any help would be excellent, I usually do search a ton before asking questions like this.

Should I just get a new stock clutch and pressure plate, improved metal TOB, and reuse my flywheel just having the flywheel resurfaced? The car has 60k on it. Also, does the ACT stage 1 clutch/pressure plate come with the TOB and mate up to a stock flywheel? I cant decide if I should go with stock clutch and lightened flywheel or stage 1 act clutch and stock resurfaced flywheel....

It's cheaper to go to the ACT + WRX FW combo. What's more, this will hold better than the stocker, which means it shouldn't wear out as quickly either. I know that when getting this clutch "kit", as I did, the TOB came with it.

With any power modifications, the stock dual-mass flywheel is no longer "in tune" with the motor, and is no longer able to do what it's designed to. For this reason, it would likely fail sooner as well, though I've never heard of anyone's failing so far.

Keep in mind, the ACT clutch is heavier than stock, so you will feel it in your left foot.

I wouldn't go with a LWFW (other than WRX) based on what I've read... people say that the LWFW makes stop/go traffic quite annoying. You certainly can get used to it, but from the sounds of it, you need a daily driver more than a quick revver.

Get a 2006 WRX stock flywheel, stock pressure plate and stock clutch disk.

Thanks, sounds like a good bet. I really dont have the money to be replacing the flywheel right now, but I guess I should just figure something out since I will be doing all this labor... Does it have to be 06wrx? any other years work with a stock legacy gt pressure plate and flywheel? I would assume 07 is fine as well but always like to double check.

So I think I am going to order the stock clutch kit (disc,pressure plate, and tob) and the stock wrx flywheel from fredbeansparts. However, the clutch kit comes with a tob, but it is not the metal one. Should I just use this or should I fork out the additional money to get a metal one. If so, where should I get it from?

Actually, that's a much better idea than going ACT, if you don't need the extra holding capacity!

Yeah thats what I'm going to do, just trying to figure out where to find a good improved TOB... Also a really cool owner of a tranny place by me quoted 500 for labor of the install,not too bad... We shall see how lazy I feel haha

I'm stage 2 and toasted my stock clutch about a month ago. At 36K miles.

I would not put in OEM parts again. I went Fred Beans ACT clutch and 06 WRX flywheel. More expensive than a Rao total OEM set up (suggested above) with the better single mass WRX fly, but I'd like the whole set up to last longer than another 4 years.

I'm stage 2 and toasted my stock clutch about a month ago. At 36K miles.

I would not put in OEM parts again. I went Fred Beans ACT clutch and 06 WRX flywheel. More expensive than a Rao total OEM set up (suggested above) with the better single mass WRX fly, but I'd like the whole set up to last longer than another 4 years.

How long have you been stage 2 for and how do you drive your car? I have 60k miles on my car, been stage 2 for about 5k miles and stage 1 for the 5k miles before that, car is still on stuck clutch and the clutch shows no signs of slippage or wear whatsoever, its just the stupid TOB.

Yet again I ask, where do I get a better TOB from?

GP2001 - Search out the TSK3 Tranquil kit for the throwout bearing. You'll get a whole kit that is a far better setup for the TOB than the stock parts.

It'll be a bit costly, but if you plan on keeping the vehicle for another 4-5 years it'll be worth every penny.

How long have you been stage 2 for and how do you drive your car? I have 60k miles on my car, been stage 2 for about 5k miles and stage 1 for the 5k miles before that, car is still on stuck clutch and the clutch shows no signs of slippage or wear whatsoever, its just the stupid TOB.

Yet again I ask, where do I get a better TOB from?

About 2.5 years with a tuned stage 1 map. But 6 months after I got my exhaust work done and went stage 2 and haven't looked back.

The clutch cannot hold upgraded torque for very long.

I honestly believe that the 2005 clutches they put in those cars were shit. Dual mass sucked, that's why so many 2005 owners are replacing them nowadays, whether it's big KM's or not.

Archived