LegacyGT.com

Subaru vs other AWD cars

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are including Audi you can include Lexus. I think Acura makes one? I'm on the BB so I cane easily look.

Acura uses their stupid electronic clutch pack design or something like that I think. Super Active AWD or some kind of BS. And only certain Audi's use a true AWD. The TT and one or 2 others use Haldex which is a European joke of AWD. At least MB and BMW got it right but having the rear wheels powered and activating the fronts under slip unlike Vulva and VW.

If you are including Audi you can include Lexus. I think Acura makes one? I'm on the BB so I cane easily look.

Lexus IS250 AWD is rear till slip, not full time.

Lexus LS AWD is full time 50/50. It's a new model.

Acura SH-AWD is 90/10 fwd biased until slip. Max of 30/70 to the rear. It also has the ability to send 100% of that 70% to each rear tire when cornering. It is basically the same as Haldex-4 in the SAAB TurboX w/ XWD.

ONLY the Audi Quattro (A8, A6, A4, Q7, R8, not TT, A3), Subaru manual and VTD AUTO, Mitsu (Evo, Lancer Ralliart), and the new Lexus LS AWD are real full time center differential equipped cars in the US.

I would prefer rear till slip over front till slip. So in my book the Lexus would be OK, the Acura would suck. I have never had a problem with rear-wheel drive besides the drivetrain loss.

To play devils advocate...

In the snow, I'd rather have FWD till slip. RWD can't do anything in snow.

Of the 4 cars I have owned so far one of the rear wheel drive cars did the best on snow/ice. Either it was an unusual car or RWD gets a bad rap.

The worst is my current car, but I think its due to the MXV4 tires, possibly the most unsafe tires ever used on a car.

Of the 4 cars I have owned so far one of the rear wheel drive cars did the best on snow/ice. Either it was an unusual car or RWD gets a bad rap.

The worst is my current car, but I think its due to the MXV4 tires, possibly the most unsafe tires ever used on a car.

Did it have a LSD? that will help a lot.

Drive AWD w/ snow tires and you'll be great.

My RWD? I don't think so. It was a 1976 Oldsmobile 98. It was the last of the HUGE ones, they turned into the standard 80's style shit-boxes in 1977.

Posi-trac was an option on some cars, but not sure about that one.

You couldn't get that car stuck in the snow. And I could blaze past FWD cars from a standstill on an icy incline. All with cheap all-season General tires.

Don't remember, that was my first car. Haven't had it since 1998. Was an awesome car. Kinda gangsta, it was a sedan and there windows were frameless, when you put them all down it made giant openings.

Maybe it was LSD, if so, it was better than my 77 Cadillac CoupeDeVille and my 1998 Buick Century. None of them were worth a damn.

I apologize, I didn't mean to threadjack.

My RWD? I don't think so. It was a 1976 Oldsmobile 98. It was the last of the HUGE ones, they turned into the standard 80's style shit-boxes in 1977.

Posi-trac was an option on some cars, but not sure about that one.

You couldn't get that car stuck in the snow. And I could blaze past FWD cars from a standstill on an icy incline. All with cheap all-season General tires.

Well when your car weighs 5000+lbs it can probably bear down hard enough to get some traction.:lol:

My Tundra gets around pretty well in the snow without using 4X4, all one needs to do is put about 350lbs of sand bags in the bed and it will go just about anywhere in 4X2 mode in the snow.

Funny, my POS grand caravan gets around pretty good in the snow too, up some of the silliest mountains in the dead of winter, that Canada has to offer, with the right tires.

WTF are we arguing about again?

Various AWD systems used on passenger cars, which as an argument is about the gayest thing ever. Seeing as how 99.999999999999% of car drivers only care about getting power to wheels that have grip in inclement weather this is a stupid topic to discuss. As long as the system can send power to a wheel/tire with traction it doesn't really make any damn difference how the AWD system gets it there. Whatever. Who cares?

Unless it has a low range transfer case it's not really much of a 4 wheel drive system anyway. If we really want to be picky; then to be really superior then you not only need a low range case but fully locking center, front, and rear diffs as well.

Couldn't agree more.

Wait, weren't we supposed to smoke the AWD pole in this thread?

Should I be elsewhere?

I managed to not die over the last 17 years of driving Canadian mountains, in the winter, in other FWD and RWD cars that were not Subarus. Should I sell off my AWD wagon I currently have as it's not the be all and end all of automobile superiority?

I love AWD but some folks suck it like its the giver of life way too much.

I love AWD but some folks suck it like its the giver of life way too much.

Not only that but it has to be a certain type of AWD for their car..... it must be whatever system they think is best! Others simply wont do. You would think from their comments that they intend to drive through mud bogs, over sand dunes, and go rock crawling with their AWD cars. When in reality they drive on the road all the time, and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a clutch pack and a torsen routing power.

I'll go so far as to say that where a passenger car is concerned I don't give a shit if the power is routed to the wheels by a hamster in a ball hooked up to a belt and pulley. As long as that hamster is fast, and gets power to a wheel(s) with some grip then a hamster center diff AWD system is fine by me.:lol:

+1

You hit the AWD bench racers between the eyes with that.

I love AWD but need it about 4-5 times a year- and that's living in Canada.

Give me some great snowies and I'd be fine in no matter what car.

My brother just bought a 2009 Ranger with 2WD (as we live in Vancouver, it makes sense) and was worried about the impending winter. He was worried about trading it in for a 4WD for about 6K more dough, and he hadn't even tested his current rig in the snow yet.

I told him to calm down and try it out, and if he's really worried, buy some good winter tires. That truck with common sense and some good tires, will climb up the silliest Canadian winter trails.

Too many folks freak out if their car isn't equipped with the proper stuff to navigate suspect terrain right out of the box.

Any car can be made good with the right gear, and with a little practice, even superior.

Subaru just equips us with an advantage right out of the box, even if they have equipped us with shite winter tires like the RE92s.

even if they have equipped us with shite winter tires like the RE92s.

If we really want to have a discussion about superior traction we should talk about tires. In fact I would rather drive a RWD vehicle with some weight in the back and good tires than an AWD car with RE92's.:lol:

Archived