LegacyGT.com

Roof rack on 2010 Legacy?

There is now a thule traverse fit for the legacy. You will need the 480 traverse or the traverse aero and the fitkit. The number for the fitkit is 1574. The fit was just released and my not be on the website yet. I know for a fact that it is not in the 2010 fit guide. I would go with the lb58 crossbar. Yakima has a fit but I do not feel comfortable with their solution.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gravity - how are you certain this is for the legacy? i called thule yesterday and they said nothing is available yet. the manager at REI said he would extend the 20% off if i could find out which kit works..

i know because i'm testing it. i don't have the traverse towers yet, but i do have the fitkit and it does fit the roof line. the fit god (dude that makes fits) himself has told me this fits and it does. there may be a fit guide update that hasn't been released. have your local thule dealer call their thule rep and ask for the 2010 fit guide update for the vehicle. i'm not sure if you can get this yet, but it works. i've mounted the traverse and lb58 bars with the 1574 fit kit at work and it's very stable. my thule rep was there to witness the test fit (it was actually his towers and bars that i put on). since it uses the traverse, there is no overtightening possible if you follow the instructions and use the torque meter properly.

i have sold both thule and yakima products for 7 years. i believe that thule has the best fit for this vehicle. i'm actually omw to get a 2" receiver hitch put on now.

i know because i'm testing it. i don't have the traverse towers yet, but i do have the fitkit and it does fit the roof line. the fit god (dude that makes fits) himself has told me this fits and it does. there may be a fit guide update that hasn't been released. have your local thule dealer call their thule rep and ask for the 2010 fit guide update for the vehicle. i'm not sure if you can get this yet, but it works. i've mounted the traverse and lb58 bars with the 1574 fit kit at work and it's very stable. my thule rep was there to witness the test fit (it was actually his towers and bars that i put on). since it uses the traverse, there is no overtightening possible if you follow the instructions and use the torque meter properly.

i have sold both thule and yakima products for 7 years. i believe that thule has the best fit for this vehicle. i'm actually omw to get a 2" receiver hitch put on now.

ohhh you sell them? see, why didn't Thule customer service just tell me this then? That's why I am confused. so if I buy the 1574 kit, i'm good to go. Maybe I'll swing by REI on my way home tonight. Thanks!

ok - so i called yesterday and they told me what you told me. amazing that it changed in a day. lol. went to REI and they only had the 480 traverse, not the 1574 kit. so gonna have to buy the kit somewhere else.

rei should be able to overnight the fit kit to their store for only $10. or 2 day air it for only $6. best thing is, if the warehouse is close, the 2 day may come in 1.

the 1574 may not be in stores for a little bit. what bars did you decide on?

I already have the square bars, so I'm sticking with that. I don't really see the benefit of the aero, other than they look a little cooler.

the guy at the REI store said he couldn't get the 1574. campmor told me they can special order it. i'll check with REI online.

ordering part 1574 from campmor - they're gonna do it for $63. rei wants $69.99 plus shipping. i don't know how campmor does the prices they do. i gotta swing by there more often!

Does anyone use the yakima bowdown for kayak transportation

i have it and i usually dont use bow or stern lines anchored to the car, i just use the straps that go around the mounts. Does anyone have experience with this at higher speeds - is it safe to go without the bow and stern lines?

• 4 weeks later...
well, i tried getting the thule rack on tonight. the 1574 kit that Thule says is for the car, well, I'm not convinced. I might stop by REI tomorrow and see what they say, but i'm heading to the beach so i might just throw it on my tsx or not take the bikes on my trip. FML

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone who is interested in a Yakima Rack...REI is having a great labor day sale! 20% off all Yakima products and accessories now through Labor day! Plus is you're a member you get 8% of your purchase back when they mail out the dividend.

I just picked my rack up on Friday...installing it today! I'll post up some pictures soon.

I'm pretty sure the dividends from REI are only valid on full price items, so you would not receive the additional 10%, but that is still a good deal - I could have saved $200 if I had waited to get all my stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is some pictures of my 2010 GT Legacy with 5 bikes loaded. Three and on top with a Thule roof rack with 2 more on a Thelme on a hitch rack.

We drove from Houston to Oklahoma City and back with no issues at all. We had a little of wind noise but still it was not too bad. It was about 425 miles is each direction most of the time around 78 miles an hour.

872845472_Legacy5BikesBack.jpg.cdc876b6a037d9c76da2ef52b8910741.jpg

958549417_Legacy5BikesFront.jpg.8b12e05d962dba259908bec3150acdb4.jpg

Archived