LegacyGT.com

Roof rack on 2010 Legacy?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know how long it usually takes for Thule to come out with racks for a new model? I think I'd really prefer to go Thule over Yakima, but with the snow season started I want to be able to get my boards on top of the car sooner than later!

schmole I'm not sure about Thule. I know that both brands offer a more permanent install, if you weren't afraid to drill into your roof. The Yakima system that people have been getting works really well though, so unless you have a problem with Yakima I'd just do that. I put some clear tape inside my doors to mark the exact spot the shop installed the rack, so it takes me literally less than two minutes to put the rack on.

Just the base rack. I won't be putting on my ski/snowboard attachment until I head up to the mountain next month, or even better maybe the end of this month :cool:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/floppsbigfeet89/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzUtMjAwOTExMDItMTMyO.jpg

This type of roof rack scares the bejeeszuzzs out of my husband and I. But only because of this stubborn belief that the gripper portion of the bracket that goes underneath the ridge of the door will wear and rub against the paint job.

The ones that we see in the stores are bare metal where I would expect a neoprene coating to keep the abrasion down as the rack wiggles and flexes along it's trip - It seems to be in direct contact - metal to metal...

We are leaning towards drilling into the roof and then just having the 4 anchor points on there from day to day - using the rails only as needed.

We were really hoping there would be a greater selection of options before the 2009 ski season came along...but we may not be able to wait any longer to get our sporty new car up in the snow.

whaddya think - can the gripping angles rub the finish? :icon_ques:confused::icon_ques

The rack is not metal to metal on the attachment to the car. The clips that go into the door openings have a piece of vinyl tape that helps protect it. Under the towers, those white pads, are rubber. When you tighten down the straps it helps the rack set down nicely without damaging the roof.

If you tighten it down nice and evenly you don't have to worry about them moving. I've driven a good 2,000 miles with this thing on now and it hasn't moved a single bit.

The removal is so easy I wouldn't bother drilling holes in my roof. IMO that's asking for trouble.

Just curious, but why the preference of Thule over Yakima?

Honestly, my only preference is aesthetics, I really prefer the look of the Thule Rapid Aero load bars (the silver oval ones), and bike rack is also Thule.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I think the Thule base attachment looks pretty flimsy, even though I'm 100% sure it's not. Plus the Yakima attachments are silver/black/red vs the Thule black/silver. I guess Yakima is based out of Beaverton, OR so nothing like supporting a local business :)

Crappy cell phone pictures but you get the idea. I was thinking prior to installing the ski/snowboard attachment that I would just take it off when not using, but it the time and hassle isn't worth it. I'll be taking off the entire roof rack, front and rear, when not in-use.

skis-1.thumb.jpg.57f21bd5d0e2c608ef139ac5072c87cd.jpg

skis-2.thumb.jpg.2311f59723b89fa076755e2a8a1dbdfb.jpg

skis-3.thumb.jpg.095b9ca448277370f67888a9a901bc0c.jpg

After waaaay too much deliberation and research, we took the plunge and had our roof rack installed. Ski Season was getting too close and the prospect of getting snow and salt on the seats was giving my husband nightmares.

This photo was taken with a cell phone - in the rain - nearing dusk - bad bad bad. We will get better pics in the next few days.

Rack Attack did all the work in about 4 hours.

What we decided to do was to install a permanent c channel rail on the roof - yes - drilling holes - but now we have the option to move the bars closer together for different accessories or farther apart for the skybox.

You can watch their drilling, - silicone seal products and anchoring videos on their website (see title)

So with that, the Thule Aluminum equipment and a "floor Model" price on the skybox *yeeeeea* We can stop worrying about Subaru's decision to exclude roof racks from it's Legacy.

The aluminum bars were only $40 more than the black coated bars and after seeing how many rusted out bars they had taken off cars in the past month, we figured it was worth it. Road noise was noticeable, but surprisingly quiet with the box on.

And with the channel on the roof, if there is a harmonica hum from the spacing of the bars, we have the option to move a bar forward and back to adjust.

I'll post better pics with the rails on and off.

Now on to worrying about snow tires. :icon_mrgr

http://pics.livejournal.com/birdiebirdie/pic/0032x0h8

linderlinder- I'm sure you can get a Thule faring to help with the wind noise. that looks pretty goodwith the alumi bars. nice tint btw,they look pretty dark, 20%?

I don't think we'll get the faring, but they swere a standard stock item at RackAttack. We won't have the bars on unless something's up there.... And when there is, - it is really just slightly noticeable. The bars fit right in the trunk and the box is really light - easy to take off. We might put some little handles on the side with some little internal acorn nuts just so it's a little easier to get on and off with winter gloves on etc...

The back windows are tinted and they look real nice I don't know the level - Wait for better pictures. :) I'd take some today in the nice crisp weather, but the husband took off to go skiing at 5:00am this morning.

Bum. :p

I have barely seen the setup in the daylight yet myself since it gets dark so early!

How's the height with that box? can you fit in most standard garages?

I don't really know how it would work in a garage, we don't have one. But standard garage doors go from 7'h to 8'h depending on material and date.

I'll get a height mesaurement and post it for you. ;) I'm 5'10 and my husband is 6'2" and we reach up just bit to put this on, so I'd say if you're a 7' garage door height type person, you'd have to make sure the door is AAAAAALLLL the way up before cruising in - just a guess. I'll get a good measurement when we take photos. I wonder if the bar height off the car roof varies from Thule to Yakima...?

This box is taller than the other ones we were looking at - 15", but the hinge is - ummm... - ambidexterous. It will open from both sides, which is nice incase you have to park on a busy one-way street. Sometimes you don't want to stand in the road to access your stuff when the sidewalk is much safer or someone else snugs up and parks too close to your shiny new Legacy. :wub:

Archived