LegacyGT.com

Roof rack on 2010 Legacy?

Ok, I need some help. Got my rack, got the fat-cat 6, but the clearance to put boards upside down is shit, so I've got to do the hinge trick, but clearly following the instructions is just not working. In slide #22, there's NO way the bolt can go in that hole, it keeps rubbing against the short end of the hinge such that I couldn't get the holes even close to aligned. It seems obvious if I flipped around the 'cover' that the bolt threads through on the bottom, but the docs clearly state that hole should be facing the hinged end, not the opening end. I'll take it back to the rack guy if I need to, but figured maybe someone else has had this issue before?

http://ultraxs.com/image-76BF_4B29C45E.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
schmoli -The fatcat6, I have a little clearance issue too and attempted to lift it. I was pretty confused when I tried to re-attach the mounting bracket in the lifted position. And with the crossbar attachment turned 180 degrees that lifted the ski attachment way high. I suggest taking it to your rack guy and have them mess with it.

how much did the install cost you all together. im in the same area and would be going to the framingham rack attack...

the quote was about $700 before we added the box...

all told we spent $1015 including tax.

This was the Channel rails, the locking towers +aluminum bars, and the Yakima Sky Box at the scratch and dent price. If you're not getting the box - it'll be abt $320 less I think.

I took a pic this morning but haven't uploaded it yet - and the car was still covered in salt from the ski trip to Killington :) so I'll get those up.

Rack attack was going to take pics too since it was their first '10 Legacy install

Good luck.

re: your question about the garage. With the standard tires and our setup, the car is about 75" tall with the box on.

Should be ok in most garages...and they do make shorter ones - we really liked the ability to open from both sides.

Here's our friends hamming it up with the car and gear...For perspective, Kevin in the front is 6' tall.

http://pics.livejournal.com/birdiebirdie/pic/0032zbs6

http://pics.livejournal.com/birdiebirdie/pic/00333a9d

Here's a closeup of our aftermarket channel we had installed on the roof with the aluminum Thule setup. Shown here with typical New England Salt Spray for realism. :p

When we take the bars off, all that is left is a 1" tall capped bracket.

Second pic with box is next to a Ford Escape...so you can see it's not really tall with the Yakima box on.

and yeah - my car is practically a billboard. :) At least it came with a ROOF RACK :D

http://pics.livejournal.com/birdiebirdie/pic/003329h2

Talked with Thule today about when??? The lady said she had nothing now and didn't see anything coming any time soon. Been looking at the INNO and it looks nice also do like all the yakimas you guys have. Just was hoping for the Thule to figure something out as i have the Thule cargo box and snowboard racks.

Ok guys i am going back and forth on options and kinda really like the inno stuff found some pics of the setup. What do you guys think?

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/tony0454/3185257414_1c704c26be_b.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/tony0454/normal_IMG_0655d.jpg

^^ that looks really nice, how long has that company in business? do they have a reputable name? how much is it? and make sure they have the set up for the 2010 (of course)

I do like the subtle fairing though, and the silver would really go well with ur SWP. and I'm sure if you look hard enough, u may be able To find a set up from Yakima for alot less cheaper on nasioc. that's where I got most of my parts from. hope this helps, good luck and happy skiing/boarding!

I guess they have been in europe for years and ors direct installs them and has good reviews on their systems. I really like the silver too. I also have the Silver thule box that is brand new that i had on my impreza so i thought they would go good with it. It is a little less expensive than the yakima. They have apps for the 2010 legacy on their website!

A cheap, quick, easy fix to wind noise, for those without (and even with) fairings, is to simply wrap/helically coil some 1/8" - 3/16" thick cotton or poly line, at 1" intervals, end-to-end across the bars and then either tape it off or stuff it into the plug ends. Immediately breaks up wind noise and dissipates it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

linder how wide is the new channel could they have perm. mounted it in the black existing roof channel? Just wondering trying to think out the box.

They installer said there were a few reasons they didn't usually install to the black rubber area - that it is not a straight line (if you were looking down on the roof, it bows in on either side) and the C channel is a straight line. Tougher waterproof the holes they make in the rubber.

It really is too bad Subaru didn't put anchorpoints there in that channel for us as they do on several of their other models...but so far, our setup is working well.

linder how wide is the new channel could they have perm. mounted it in the black existing roof channel? Just wondering trying to think out the box.

oh yeah - sorry you asked the bar's dimensions. :) They are about an inch or so....wider than the black channel.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-54-inch-track-with-plusnuts.asp

There's a few videos here about the install process. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got a Yakima setup for my 2010 legacy

it was a bit pricy, but seeing as how there is not much else out there i went for it. I ended up getting mine through REI because of their return policy (not that i plan on returning it, but apparently if something breaks REI will replace it). I did find that Backcountry had the best prices - at least 10% lower than anyone else - so if you just want the initial cost to be cheaper, check them out.

One question I had - has anyone noticed on their set-up that the gold sliders on the Q Towers for the rear bar do not cover up the marks on the plastic? The directions say that one if not both marks should be covered by the gold slider, without contacting the cross bar. I found that my fronts were good - the gold slider completely covered the first mark and was half way between the first and second marks. In the rear however, i can slightly see the first marks. I tried adjusting the cam screw, but this made it too tight to where I could barely close the latch, and when I did - it would pull the Q clip out from the door jam a little bit. I figured id rather be able to see the mark on the plastic than have the Q clip not seated properly in the door jam. It feels real tight and i can rock the whole car back and forth without any slight movements of the towers, but I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this problem.

i have not had any problems with the rack either - it feels incredibly solid - like its part of the vehicle. I have been driving around for a week with this rack - i drive about 3 hours a day - most of the time at 65+mph on the highway - and I haven't had issues with anything. just wanted to see if other people had the same issue with the sliders.

the other thing i like about the rack is the low noise. i was worried at first in reading some of the posts, but i do not hear anything - even at 80mph. sometimes at around 40 there is a very faint whistle which can be drowned out even with low volume radio. I do have the 44" fairing and have had it since i got the rack - so i cant compare to noise without the fairing.

One downside i noticed to the fairing - in order to mount the bowdown kayak mount - there is not enough space between the outer fairing mount and the tower to get the bowdown properly on the bar - so that the mount sticks out past the end of the bar as the instructions say. Its no problem to mount the bowdown a little further in - and im pretty sure the instructions say to have it stick out just so you have access to the beer bottle opener, so i dont mind mounting it further in - although whats the point in carrying a kayak around if you cant drink while you do it. I did find that I can mount the bowdown and have the outer end rest slightly on the Q tower - and when its tightened down - there is no difference in rigidity from when it is mounted further in on the bar.

All in all - I am very pleased with this rack

• 3 weeks later...
I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I think the Thule base attachment looks pretty flimsy, even though I'm 100% sure it's not. Plus the Yakima attachments are silver/black/red vs the Thule black/silver. I guess Yakima is based out of Beaverton, OR so nothing like supporting a local business :)

i have had a thule setup on my acura tsx for 5 years. it doesn't scratch, and i've carted all kinds of stuff on top of my roof and that rack is on solid.

as for thule vs yakima - i chose thule because it's made in the USA, whereas yakima is made in europe or china somewhere.

functionally - they are both great racks. my bro-in-law has yakima. a lot of the attachments are interchangeable, it's just the fit kit and the cross bars that have to be same brand.

hope this helps some people out - and hope thule comes out with the fit kit soon. just missed a 20% off sale at REI because this isn't available yet!

That really sucks but Thanks for the info...

doesn't really suck that much. thule or yakima make 99% of "factory" racks anyways, it's just that the car companies charge you more for them.

Archived