LegacyGT.com

Need help! Old Legacy intake!

I am somewhat new to the forums and i have a relatively unique question.. I recently got a 98 legacy gt limited with the (non functional) hood scoop. I was curious to know if there is any way to use the hood scoop on the legacy and see if there is an aftermarket legacy intake system that will couple with the hood scoop, and will also attach the already existing air intake and filter (just to stop telling people that "no, the scoop is just for show :mad:"). or in the best case, replacing the entire system...open to all suggestions :cool:

Most Legacy hood scoops that are functional allow air to pass through the intercooler.

Since your car is not turbocharged or intercooled, the hood scoop is purely visual (As you already know).

Anything is possible, but not everything is practical. To my knowledge, and after a little searching just to be on the safe side, there are no bolt on kits to route the intake to a non-functional hood scoop. I could be wrong though.

You could do it, but you must lose all reservations to cut, hack, and otherwise slaughter a perfectly good setup in favor of something that might not work the way you want it to.

im willing to make some "custom" cuts and such to just try some new things :D

there are two air boxes it seems...one has the actual filter, and the other is something like an expansion chamber before the throttle body; nothing looks like it happens in there. are there such things as pan air filters, and if so, do you think it would be possible to replace that expansion chamber with one? just to forgo the rerouting of the original intake?

When I didn't close the air cleaner box correctly on my 98' the car didn't run right, may be a CEL but I don't think it throw a cel.

If your going to MOD the OEM air box you may want to have a back up one...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Look into an Injen CAI for a 98' MAF based impreza 2.5RS and it should work with your car. I had one on my 99' forester with no problems.

http://www.rallitek.com/wesewein19.html

I was looking for something that had the bracket to bolt up to the mass air sensor (was thinking about moding the box to take the new filter)...thanks!

Does anyone know what that second box is that hooks up to the throttle body? Is that just another air box or what? Wondering if I could use that for something else...

I use to own a chevy Blazer and i saw there was a hood with flush scoops that pop up when you rev. it used the vacume tubes to actuate. But from the scoop it would duct the air down to an aftermarket airfilter for some cold ram hair. you could prolly do the same. duct the air to a filter. Just be carefull of water.

I did a forced air DIY mod on my Non-turbo '02 GT. I did it because I'm addicted to modding my cars and couldn't really do much else @ the time...all it did was make the car louder form an air intake sound...not much performance other then a bit more top-end...or so it felt like...it might have been the noise!

;)

Its a little harder to do custom intake projects on the older subies with MAF based intakes. The 98'-99' MAFs were notorious for being finicky. The secondary intake box at the throttle body is referred to as a "torque box", supposedly a resevoir for immediate intake air on light throttle. I noticed no ill effects by removing mine.

here's what the Injen CAI looked like installed on my99 SF:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/905/130vv.jpg

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/3526/dsc06943cu7.jpg

If you haven't already, I would sign up at http://www.rs25.com. Lots of good information on the naturally aspirated subaru motors over there. http://www.sl-i.net/ is also a forum geared more toward older model leggies.

Get yourself a short ram air intake, I reccomend Weapon-R. Remove the metal piece in the hood scoop. Boom, you've got a functional hood scoop. Whether or not it makes a difference of the air flow into the air intake is debatable, but at least you wouldnt be a poser Mustang.

I'll put a couple more cents in.

I have a 98 GT as well (wagon of course). I pondered making my scoop functional as well, even taking off the block plate completely to flow cooler air to the engine. Between the fact that it did nothing extra for cooling according to temp gauge, and is a PITA when it rains, it does no sensible good to remove the block plate.

If you want a bit more grunt and want to keep a stock appearance do what I did:

-get a drop in K&N air filter

-find a 2.2 liter 95 or 96 intake piece (from the MAF to the throttle body)

Its void of all those silencing boxes that come on the later model second gens.

And I would (and did myself) leave the scoop alone. I've accepted my car isnt a highway terror, but that doesnt mean she cant look cool.

the rain is what worried me about taking off that block plate...I haven't noticed any improvement in cooling either. unless something major would change with the scoop, the block plate is gonna stay on.

torque box? I'd really want to see the stats for that...see if it does anything for the "immediate intake air on light throttle" :D I actually got a good DIY piece from sl-i.net for bypassing the original "snorkle" setup that winds its way above the fender to the airbox. I ran some piping down to the empty area behind the foglight and popped a cone filter to the end. The computer needed the readjustment time to get a sense of the air coming in, but what a difference! I'll post pictures later, but it was the best day spent on the legacy!

Is there anything that can't be done about the MAF without things getting too involved? It's just there...sitting in the worst possible spot for any intake mods.

Removing the plate isn't going to do anything for engine temp. If you want that you could upgrade the cap on your coolant. It won't do much, but a tighter seal is preferred over a weak one from an ailing stock cap.

And no, rain entering through a scoop with no shield will not damage your engine.

I wants to show too. This is my mega cheap frankin-junkyard intake. The only money spent was on the K&N drop in air filter.

THIS IS MINE WITH THE 2.2L MAF TO THROTTLE PIECE ON:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/specialkenny/rdmsubaru002.jpg

I JUST BASICALLY CUT OUT THE MASS OF PLASTIC THAT RESIDES IN THE FENDER. THIS IS THE BEST SHOT I COULD GET, I'M SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT. AND I DELETED THE FOGS, SO THERE'S GOOD AIRFLOW TO IT:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/specialkenny/rdmsubaru006.jpg

(And I'm going to be a stinker and throw in my Impreza OBS, hehe)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/specialkenny/rdmsubaru010.jpg

Ha! That's what I do best, lol.

But hey, I stand behind my set-up. It may not look like much (why I like it) but it flows as good as the others, plus it gets all of its air from the fender. And even cooler air at speed. And it was $50 to do it. (K&N was 45 of that)

An OEM cold air intake if you will. :)

Bravo! ok ill give u plenty of credit...I wish I wasn't as new to this. My setup took 5+hrs the other day, and plenty of painful bending and pvc pipe-sanding! But it's alot of fun, I'd do it again if I hadn't cut everything up.

So just to clear everything up, there's no real issue taking out the torque box? And maybe rigging up the scoop somehow to another intake box there? :D Measure twice, cut once...

I noticed nothing. It may be for torque, but I always thought it was a big silencer. If there is a difference it is not notable.

As far as utilizing the scoop for intake purposes, I am unsure. As I've said, I tried to brainstorm ways to use the scoop in some form or fashion in the past. Be it intake, cooling or anything. But I couldn't come up with anything. My friend is an engineer, and he saw no options.

I'd love to see if you rig something up though!

Confession, there is ONE way to use the hood scoop..... put a turbo motor under it. hehe, that's what I plan to do in the next year or so.

Much luck to ya!

a turbo is always open for possibility! what I think we're gonna try is taking the torque box out, cutting the top off, jerryrigging it to fit our old k&n filter, then getting some sort of fitting so that there's a good seal to the scoop from the filter. man, if it can be pulled off, it'll be a sweet ram air setup...I'll let you guys know how things work!

what they're trying to say, from what I took from the forum, is that you really can't bypass the MAF. you can't have an intake upwind from the MAF...or am I just thinking that something bad is going to happen, but there really won't be a problem?

the rain is what worried me about taking off that block plate...

Is there anything that can't be done about the MAF without things getting too involved? It's just there...sitting in the worst possible spot for any intake mods.

The block plate actually already has an opening inside (granted it's very small) so there is already water get in there. The rain won't do anything at all. It'll just drip down the rear of the block onto the transmission and out onto the ground...

Unfortunately, there is nearly nothing you can do about the MAF. The car won't run properly without it and converting to a MAP setup would involve A LOT of work. We're kinda just stuck with 'em. :confused:

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived