LegacyGT.com

Need help! Old Legacy intake!

Yeah I thought that was a rain channel or something cuz water has to go somewhere in there...

Wow that really really sucks. Believeable though...and I kinda want my car to run :D Maybe I'll buy another torque box from 98 and cut it up to give it a try...everything's always worth a try, even if it starts for five seconds then dies haha. As long as damage isn't permenant!

Neh. You can't hurt anything running without the MAF. The car will just bitch and moan about it not crapping results to the ECU. In all honesty, you can move the MAF where ever you want by extending the wires.

If you wanted to use the RAM air idea for the hood scoop, you could always pipe something from the hood scoop back behind the throttle body with a bend (Like a p-trap, if you will, to drain water and such) that goes back to the MAF and intake manifold. I can see that working albeit I have no idea how well. :)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Here's my setup. Works well. Didn't mess with the MAF.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/SLegacy99/Picture141.jpg

I did something very similar to my EJ22. I just got one of those cheap plastic MAF adapters from AutoZone and kept drilling holes in the mounting flange for different cars.

Unfortunaly, but the time the adapter reached the Legacy, it had too many holes already for me to use all 4 MAF bolts. So I used two bolts with lockwashers and machine screws + a new gasket. Works great, but it looks really ghetto (Like the rest of the car, but hey... What do you want for a $700 car?).

Neh. You can't hurt anything running without the MAF. The car will just bitch and moan about it not crapping results to the ECU. In all honesty, you can move the MAF where ever you want by extending the wires.

This is also true. I had a Nissan GA16DE in a Sentra that suffered from a cracked intake hose before the MAF. I cut the hose in half, remounted the MAF sensor closer to the manifold, put on the same exact adapter I posted about above, and re-routed a couple vacuum lines. Ran fine without throwing any CELs. By the time I was done the intake hose was about 6 inches long. It was a true short ram. :lol: Although length of the intake hose does slightly impact performance, I didn't really care. The point is, if you're just factoring the location of the MAF along the intake hose, then it's position doesn't matter at all.

Ok perfect! I don't think I'm gonna move the MAF now that I have my set up done, but it's great to know if anything needs to be readjusted and the car won't complain :D

If you wanted to use the RAM air idea for the hood scoop, you could always pipe something from the hood scoop back behind the throttle body with a bend (Like a p-trap, if you will, to drain water and such) that goes back to the MAF and intake manifold. I can see that working albeit I have no idea how well. :)

Hmm...I'm trying to picture this with mixed results. And yes, I have a notepad and a couple sketches down hahaha...could you elaborate? Because I want to try and use the air that's already flowing in, but avoid the hazard of water mixing with any sort of box filter that might go where the torque box is...

Sure. I'll draw and scan a few ideas tonight/tomorrow and post them for you so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Great thanks a million man!

A few updates on my set up: vibration needed to be rechecked, so I wrapped the pipe clamps and some of the piping in alot of duct tape :D But as far as performance goes, there's something definitely noticeable in the 3000+ rpm range, but seeing as it's not the most used for regular driving, it hasn't made that exciting "YES THIS IS WHAT I REALLY WANTED" impact. Plus, punching the throttle at every stoplight just to get that extra power (and sweet bass sound!) is a killer on gas...but as long as the elements don't get to the filter I'll be happy with the rig!

• 1 month later...
I like the setup. I am thinking about making my own type of ram air. Let me know what you guys think. The hood scoops do let in air but that air goes nowhere and does nothing. I was also looking into jet chips or super chips to help MAF. Please let me know your opinions and what I can do to make my subie faster.

Archived