LegacyGT.com

iPod solution for 05+

roosien092

So, like a lot of people i've been searching for a way to connect up my ipod to my 2005 legacy gt. I have the dual zone climate control so i can't replace the stereo easily, so ive been on the hunt. First, I tried FM transmitters. Now these things might be alright for some people, but i'm somewhat of an audio nut and didnt spend this much money on my stereo equipment to have a system with a bunch of static. So i was at best buy and saw this----

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9252122&type=product&id=1218068779609

The benefit of this setup is that if you use it with an ipod, it charges it using the pin connector at the base of the ipod, otherwise a 3.5mm cable is included. Now you will need to purchase 2 antenna adapters but best buy does carry these as well. I will post general install instructions shortly..

interested on seeing the install...

sorry spyguy but i do not have pictures of the install... but it is fairly simple and easy to understand. Basically the unit has 3 parts, the switch, the main box, and the input cable. The box has an input and output for the antenna (output on box goes to radio, input goes to antenna), input cable and switch connect to the box as well. Basically the only tricky part to this installation is to find the wires to connect the power lead and ground to. If you want, you can look up a diagram of the stereo wiring harness for your car and figure out which two wires to splice but on my '05 lgt the ground is the all black and the ignition turn on is a yellow cable with red accent. I then ran the ipod cable through the shifter area and out underneath the armrest. If you have any questions about it post them up or pm me, but the sound is great and i love the fact that it charges it as well

Looks like a decent product, but for just a little bit more money, you could have gone the Jazzymt setup, which gives you much better quality audio than through fm transmitter. I have had my Jazzymt for about 5 months now, its a great product, very straight forward install.

After many different iPod connectivity routes, I found happiness with a Jazzy board wired to a harmon kardon drive + play connected via the iPod AV cable so it charges while playing. Got the drive + play for $20 on stoosi when they were making room for the drive + play 2...
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Ah yes. The IS77 from Peripheral / AAMP of America.

This product is doing absolutely gangbusters down in the States, as it works on 99% of all factory car radios with FM antenna reception. A great piece.

:whore:
:whore: more...

From what is shown on that BB device, it's still an RF transmitter, essentially. It's using the antenna jack to feed the radio with the signal. Granted, this is better than a plain, external FM transmitter, as this device can "cutoff" the regular antenna signal, so you get less interference... but it's still FM-modulated, which means the sound quality is degraded... I can certainly hear the difference on these things, and I'm no audiophile.

The Jazzy solution is excellent. Mine came loose inside after 3 years (too much hard driving/too many potholes) but it was easily fixed and taped down this time. The Leptronix device sounds nice and easier... but it wasn't available 3+ years ago :)

^^^

True, it is worlds better than a current gen FM transmitter, but alas, yes, it still pales compared to a true hard wired solution.

The Jazzy solution takes some skill to install, the Peripheral / Best buy solution takes little to none.

^^^

True, it is worlds better than a current gen FM transmitter, but alas, yes, it still pales compared to a true hard wired solution.

The Jazzy solution takes some skill to install, the Peripheral / Best buy solution takes little to none.

I'm not so sure. The Jazzy solution simply requires taking apart the OEM HU. The instructions are excellent, and all you need is a large and small screwdriver and some time. The BB unit requires splicing a wire and such, which means someone has to go "looking" for a 12V line and tap into it, etc. I feel both are equally "hard" though the Jazzy version requires zero wire splicing, and just some screws and time.

Personally, I'm quite able to do wiring or disassembly, so either is fine for me, but the Jazzy version seems simple - plug and play. But hey, maybe that's just me...

And, the Jazzy version is cheaper... (ok, now I'm talking like a sales person, aren't I?)

Just curious, how difficult is it to get the existing antenna wire out of the stock Subie HU? (BTW, Crutchfield has something similar).

I currently use an FM transmitter plugged into the cigarette lighter which always seems to loosen the retaining nut cigarette lighter has to hold it to the ash tray assembly - so, I'm OK with dissassembling everything up to the bottom of the climate control but have not explored any higher.

2007 HU + Subaru iPod interface = Perfect!

Just saw that you're from Grand Rapids. Welcome to the board. Maybe I'll see you around town!

Can you elaborate a tad more on this?

I have an 05 legacy with the dual-climate and i'm going to buy an '07 spec B HU, just need to know what else I'll need to do.

I've read all 24 pages of that thread, and it is sort of all over the place with ideas and possible answers. Im just looking for the simplest one, assuming money is not an issue.

You must have skimmed. The answer is there. I know because I posted a definitive answer. I agree it's a bit all over at the beginning. :lol:;)

• 2 months later...

Archived