LegacyGT.com

09 wrx vs. 08 legacy

so my brother just picked up a new 09 wrx. i went with him to pick it up and he let me drive it on the way back home. i've also gotten to drive it here and there these past couple days. there are definately some positives vs. my lowly 2.5i legacy, but there are some negatives too.

-seats: the seat backs conform to your back better in the wrx. the integrated headrest also is closer to your head. the seat bottom however is as bad as they say in the magazines with no thigh support. in the legacy i think it is a little better ;), but i think it has to do with the foam in the seats. i noticed front/back the seats are softer vs. the legacy.

-stereo: crap! i know subaru stereos arent that great, but i think this is the worst i've ever heard. its not the premium but i doubt its that big of a difference. it does not compare to my 08 2.5i with the cheap single disc, non-Harmon Kardon system. i don't know how to explain it, but going from legacy to wrx is like listening to 160kbps mp3 and then 96kbps. tried playing with the settings but helpless.

-door cards: the door cards are like a single piece of hard plastic, eww.

-sunvisors: again straight up hard plastic, first time i've ever seen this. also has no lights.

-sunroof: there is no sunroof for the non-premium. for 25k there should be a sunroof standard, all other popular sporty compacts cars in this price range have it i believe. i know some people don't like the idea of sunroofs, but i think the majority of those people never had one. i used to be one of the people and when i got it in my legacy, its definately nice and convenient.

-trunk area: although the opening is big because its a hatch, its short!

-center/shift console: cheap and plain looking, should have been like on the STi and legacy.

-pedals: aluminum pedals + dead pedal look awesome.

-gauges: look awesome, i wish i had electro-luminescent GT gauges on my 2.5i.

-engine: still breaking in so no more then 4k rpm but from what i can tell, its way lighter on its feet because of its power advantage of course. nice and smooth power delivery. also there is less electronic throttle lag.

-hill holder: cool feature imo

-key/fob: it has a separate key and fob, dissappointing, i thought all newer subaru's had integrated key/fob.

-build quality: i think overall build quality is better than my legacy. no rattles or creaks. its probably because the design itself is simplier which results in less creaks. legacy does have better build materials though, for example, dash, button/switch feel, etc. legacy also has less road noise. wrx had less wind noise though, framed ftw :confused:.

-handling: stock for stock, wrx is definately better, especially compared to the 08 wrx that i test drove a while back. i do have some suspension stuff so i think imo my legacy is better now. but i think the wrx is nice compliant ride, and handles decent. i noticed that steering felt more direct on the wrx??? my brother did mention that my car's steering felt numb or disconnected compared to when it was new. a sign that my LCA bushings are going to crap???

-attention: wholey crap, its like dejavu all over again. i remember when i had a wrx. people wave, beep, rev, turned heads, etc. with the legacy, barely ever get measly looks. as soon as we pulled out of the dealership with the wrx and hit the first stop light, GTO with loud ass exhaust guns it on green light. next light opposing lane, blue 06-07 wrx, guy with his gf, waves twice and also guns it on green. a little bit later a black cobalt ss rev's at us. my brother says to me, "wow do i really want all this attention", LOL seriously. the rest of the way home just constant head turns here and there.

-grill: not really pro con, but it came with the sport grill. prefer the stock 09 grill better. asked the dealer to swap but they were gonna charge like 600 something for the price of install and price of stock grill. no thanks! buy, swap, sell back ourselves.

thats all for now, i'll post more if i can think of anything else.

On the IWSTI forums there have a been a few guys who have "raced" the new 09WRX against their 08STi and either lost or it was equal. Very fast cars. No fender flares make it a tough look for me though but for the price I think they are amazing.

If you don't plan to track it might as well get a WRX over an STi now lol!

I test drove one the other day, and then I test drove the 07 LGT they had on the lot. While the wrx felt quicker, overall the GT felt much better. The fit and finish of the wrx in comparison is pretty bad, I just felt like I was inside something really cheap.

I'll sacrifice the power, for the overall fit and finish of the Legacy.

Interesting, Car and Driver test results show the '09 WRX being faster than the '08 STi. The new WRX runs 0-60 in 4.7, and the 1/4 in 13.5 @102 mph vs the STi's 0-60 of 5.1, and 13.6 1/4 mile. The reason, they say, for the difference in 0-60 times is largely due to the 6 speed having to shift one more time to hit 60, as well as the extra 220 lbs the STi carries around.

Can't wait to see what Subaru has planned for the STi to keep it at the top of the pecking order.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Don't forget that the WRX is basically an Impreza with factory mods. Like an EVO.

WRX is based on an entry level commuter, whereas the Legacy is not.

It's fast, and fun, but it has Honda Civic options, or even worse in this day and age...

Fun-run with a friendly '09 WRX hatch and a nice driver the other day.

My clutch had been slipping at that point, already, but it wasn't too bad, yet. I started from a roll, and he was kind and considerate, and didn't tail me (he started behind me).

I'm a typical "Stage II" - I was very impressed at the fact that the '09 WRX wasn't just falling back in my rearview. I didn't have a good look, though, as my inside rearview is a Cheetah GPS-Mirror, which is a convex safety mirror, and also, we pulled the plug at a low 45 MPH, since we were on public roads.

Don't know how the WRX would have fared had my clutch not been slipping, but still, that's much better than any previous factory-stock WRX could do. :) I'd get caught dead in one, no hesitations.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

well hopefully the next impreza refresh, they do something with the door cards. the rest of the car can pass for a decent compact car, but the door cards are just one big slab of plastic.

I suppose that as close to the BL Legacy as the GR impreza is... the 05-09 Legacy door cards and dashboard probably don't fit in the Impreza... :D

Archived