LegacyGT.com

THE ULTIMATE floor jack?

Cliff notes: A/C Hydraulics rocks. Too bad unobtanium now.

I have to concede defeat :lol::). The AC Hydraulics jack is THE ULTIMATE.

So what's the ultimate readily obtainable jack?

Post #51 and I have no clue. My money is sadly on the Omega long lopro

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still really like my Arcan one. I use it on my Expedition and it fits under my Legacy that has lowering springs on it (Rallitek). The only downside on it if you want to look for something is that it is HEAVY.

Specs:

Lift Capacity (tons) 3 1/2

Min. Lift Height (in.) 3 1/2

Max. Lift Height (in.) 21 3/8

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144236_lg.gif

I still really like my Arcan one. I use it on my Expedition and it fits under my Legacy that has lowering springs on it (Rallitek). The only downside on it if you want to look for something is that it is HEAVY.

Specs:

Does it reach under the front crossmember and rear dif?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Those points can also be used for the floor jack, but there are central jack points for the front and rear of the car - one at the rear of the undertray in the front; and the rear diff for the rear.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

What are the recommended jack points for a floor jack? There are jack points at 4 spots in the frame for the regular screw jack.

If a jack is under one of the four corner jack points, then a jack stand can't be placed there. So I only do the final lift under the front cross member or the rear dif, then place jack stands.

Thanks for the info. My goal is to change the tires quickly from stock to the Enkei RPF1 for autocrosses. I think the jack will hold long enough to change the tires without needing jack stands.

I just bought a US General aluminum jack. It had a good review here:http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_jacks1.php Plus, it is light enough to move it around. I was going to buy it on-line at Harbor Freight. I drove to a Harbor Freight instead and bought it. They had an in store coupon that cut the price fro 149 to 115 and included a 2 year warrantee.

Thanks for the link, mightyS. It turns out my "Alcan" 2-ton from Costco is the same as the Craftsman in the article. Cool!

Craftsman... reviews of their jacks are all over the internet. being made in the same house as craftsman floor jacks inspires a lot of confidence...

• 3 weeks later...

Specs:

On sale today for $99 at Northern Tool.

Here

Craftsman... reviews of their jacks are all over the internet. being made in the same house as craftsman floor jacks inspires a lot of confidence...

As long as it's the black steel craftsman you should be fine. I have been using mine for well over 5 years now with no issues. The red Al race jack, is a different story. After 3 yeasr of use I had the pump rebuilt by a local jack repair place, than a week later the universal broke for letting it down. Come to find out I can lower it with just my figures by turning the broken piece. Still using it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Specs:

I think I have the red version of this. Can you get to the front center jackpoint with this lift? I'm at stock height and I can't get there.

I think I have the red version of this. Can you get to the front center jackpoint with this lift? I'm at stock height and I can't get there.

If you can't get to it with this jack, then there might be some inconsistency in what people are saying...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Update. Sold both Rangers a while ago.

Have been having great luck with a Harbor freight aluminum jack that goes something like 3.5-19". Well most recently I was jacking up the front driver side corner of the car, and the pad slipped and the car fell 2" and shock loaded the crap out of the jack. Fortunately no one was hurt, and no one would have been hurt either way, but it was a stark reminder of how important it is to get your jacking point 100% correct.

I will see if it can be repaired, as one of the two pistons in the jack is jammed in.

In either case, I need a jack that works. So I ordered this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349257_200349257?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-EMAILEXCLUSIVE_022012-_-022012business-_-P13&cm_lm=dhettena@gmail.com&state=TX&hotline=&marketcode=DAL

Torin Professional Long Frame Jack — 2-Ton Capacity, Model# TR8026A

Lift Capacity (tons)

2Min. Lift Height (in.)

5.52Max. Lift Height (in.)

31.4Manufacturer Warranty

12 months parts / 12 months laborShip Weight

161.0 lbsItem#

Got it for $180 with tax after everything. For the money, I can sell it on Craigslist if I truly don't like it. But 30" lift is a treat, and I'm excited.

It's going to be massive like the Ranger, but hopefully I can live with it.

Yea, you have to be careful with jack placement. I know you know what your doing.

I hope some of the causal backyard DIY'ers take a lesson from your story.

When I had the tranny and rear diff out last summer I had 3 of my floor jacks in use from time to time getting the car up high enough so the 18" high tranny on the 7" high tranny jack would fit under the car. My wagon sat on jacks for close to 3 month's. Remember that big wind storm, tornado that caused all the damage in Springfield MA. BTW I was under the car during the start of that storm, the city is about 12 miles north of where the car was.

We had some good winds and lots of rain, the wagon never moved.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My buddy and I also had trouble getting the car high enough for one of my 5eat dropouts. With this jack it will not be a problem. I am going to raise the ride height up to KW specs, which are close to stock height. Tired of thinking up ways to combat bad suspension geometry when lowered as much as many of us do. Hopefully when the car is raised I will be able to get this jack under it without cut 2x6 wheel ramps or a helper jack. Hopefully...

Archived