LegacyGT.com

What do i do?

I found an 09 Legacy GT used for ~24,500 with 4,417 miles. The car is incredible to drive. its a blast and has gorgeous interior. so i took it home. at 300 miles, the engine began making noise. it stalled on me twice and i pulled over and called subaru. they sent a tow truck that took 2 hours. the car was towed to a rinky dink subaru dealer. 1 hour after it was dropped off, i got a call that the dealership doesn't want to pull the motor because the dealership was in the process of being sold!!!! so i had it moved to a dealership closer to home. I got another call telling me the car was already at the new dealership (sweet!!!) and that since neither dealership nor subaru of america had come accross that issue, so instead of rebuilding the motor, they were dropping in a new one! (freaking awesome!!!!) so they drop the motor in and test drive it and call me to tell me the car is ready (after a week or so), then tell me their master mechanic (who did the swap) found that the car had been in a frontal collision. (WTF!!!????) i knew the car had been tapped on the back and that the damage wasn't bad or deploy the bags. (read carfax at dealership). obviously, the dealer i bought it from (in Pennsylvania, i live in jersey) did not know of this. so i go back to the dealership so they can show me their findings. the service manager came outside and showed me several hints or tell tale signs that the car had a "moderate" frontal collision. we even compared side by side. The front bumper cover, the grille, the hood, the radiator support was all replaced, but not the bumper support beam. a legal counsel advised me to either return the car (but i really really like it) or have the dealer refund the difference of what the vehicle should have costed me. (likelyhood fo that happening?) here are some shots.

the good side... this car rocks!!!!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/adonisf/CAR/IMG_0503.jpg

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/adonisf/CAR/IMG_0501.jpg

the bad side...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/adonisf/CAR/IMG_0720.jpg

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/adonisf/CAR/IMG_0718.jpg

Can anyone still run a carfax??? please PM or email me @aol.com

WTF? the dealer who sold the thing to you should be in serious trouble! return the car. You can get another! That's a lot fo dough to spend on a car with issues.
Rehab is for quitters.

They may not have to take it back, assuming it's a "buyer beware" state. But, if you can, you should. You can probably get a new 2009 from the lots for about what you paid or only slightly more. BTW, the reason they replaced the engine so quickly is because it's apparently a known problem: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115164 and doesn't have anything to do with the wreck (if that's what they were insinuating).

Return it for sure. Don't even think about keeping this thing. You can always get another car and any money you save will not be worth the cost of future repairs/headaches this car will cost you.

That last pic with the crack means that the safety is compromised and will get really bad in a possible future crash. Looks like it was a really bad repair, maybe by a shop that wasn't registering that work so it didn't end up on the CarFax.

It's even possible that the dealer was ripped off by the previous owner, but that shouldn't be your problem.

453747.png

Like others have said. Return it. If the dealer doesn't want to play ball, call up your local news stations who have an "on your side" type of feature. Threaten the dealer with that, and I'm sure they'll play ball.

• 10 months later...
I know it's hard to get rid of one of these things once you own one. Glad to hear things worked out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

why is everyone like "F this dealer" and WTF?

Its your job as the consumer to look over your purchase. Do you think the salesman who took in the trade (who has probably never worked on a car) really knew much more than you when looking at it, or if the prior owner even told him? Also, if you cant see the car was repaired, why should the salesman tell you? That generally means it was a good quality repair (though not always)

Carfax will generally only show you if a vehicle has a salvage or rebuilt title. Sometimes not even that. Honestly, Carfax is a joke. Think of all the people that get cars repaired that never even report an insurance claim. Generally, Carfax pulls from DMV info, and the DMV doesnt even know about all insurance claims.

I think the stats now are like 1 in 4 cars on the road have had some sort of moderate repair to them (anything beyond a bumper cover repair/replace)

What does scare me is that you found a used car with 4k miles, knew the rear was repaired and now found prior repair to the front as well... AND there was a serious engine problem!!??!! If this dealer lets you return it, I dont care how much you like the car, take it back

(Seeing that this post is 1 yr old, Ill just ramble about Carfax)

I am not sure if the insurance companies release claim info to carfax or not. I have been meaning to find this out. The main source of info for carfax is police reports is police reports (which could be classified as DMV I suppose).

Madmontie1 is right. Take carfax with a grain of salt. Its great for finding info on # of registered owners and registered locations but not so good at insuring the car has not been repaired.

Stick the conventional way and spend the $100 or so to get the vehicle checked by a third party mechanic/repairman.

Found this on carfax.com:

CARFAX receives information from more than 34,000 data sources including every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency plus many auto auctions, fire and police departments, collision repair facilities, fleet management and rental agencies, and more.

http://www.carfax.com/about/car_history/hcabout.cfm

Archived