LegacyGT.com

Huge thanks to subaru - please read!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any way to know before I am stuck on the side of the road? :spin:

As long as it happens while under the factory warranty I don't really care but after that it would suck. Perhaps I shouldn't have cancelled that extended warranty (not). I suppose if it does go out after the warranty the car will most likely be paid off and I could afford to replace it with a cosworth motor, heh.

Even if the bearing does go I wouldn't have done things differently. Lord knows this won't be the first/last bottom end I've trashed.

I wish I knew an answer to that. Everyone that I have seen wiu these problems have found out the hard way. I wish there had been some clarity from Subaru that these problems exist with these engines.

No this is a problem in certain 08-09 2.5 turbo engines. There was a stop sale on certain VIN numbers and make dates but many (myself included) have found that being outside the stop sale doesn't mean you're safe.

Correct. My 08 LGT spun #4 rod bearing at 15K miles and left me stranded 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere on I80 less than a week after I brought the car to the dealer for the 6th time complaining of oil burnoff in the exhaust. All oil changes were done at 3K mile intervals by the dealer. The dealer FINALLY replaced the shortblock after 8 months of me complaining of oil burnoff and them trying all sorts of other smaller fixes. (new turbo, new pistons and rings, new passenger side head, etc etc) The end story appears to be that there was a blockage or deformation somewhere in the original block that caused oil pressure to be much lower than it should have been from the day it rolled off the showroom floor. As soon as the new block went in, oil pressures were literally twice what they had been during the first 15K life of the car.

Today the dealer rejected my warranty claim for the infamous wheel corrosion around the center cap and also refused to fix my A/C which wont blow any warm air out on the passenger side, stating, "this is a common problem and we need to flush the heater core to be sure the blockage we suspect is actually there, however, fluid flushes are something not covered under warranty. So if you give us $100, we'll fix your heater." To which I responded, "It's heating core fluid, not motor oil or windshield wash. It's not something the comsumer goes through or wears out and it's not something that's supposed to be replaced on a regular basis in order to keep the car working properly. If flushing the system is what you need to do to fix the problem, then that would fall under diagnosis of the warranty claim, and it's your responsibility to fix the car under those premise." To which they told me to piss off. I had my entire warranty claims list printed out (which is well over 40 claims now) and will be contacting Subaru of America in the morning. This phone call has been a long time coming . . .

Correct. My 08 LGT spun #4 rod bearing at 15K miles and left me stranded 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere on I80 less than a week after I brought the car to the dealer for the 6th time complaining of oil burnoff in the exhaust. All oil changes were done at 3K mile intervals by the dealer. The dealer FINALLY replaced the shortblock after 8 months of me complaining of oil burnoff and them trying all sorts of other smaller fixes. (new turbo, new pistons and rings, new passenger side head, etc etc) The end story appears to be that there was a blockage or deformation somewhere in the original block that caused oil pressure to be much lower than it should have been from the day it rolled off the showroom floor. As soon as the new block went in, oil pressures were literally twice what they had been during the first 15K life of the car.

Today the dealer rejected my warranty claim for the infamous wheel corrosion around the center cap and also refused to fix my A/C which wont blow any warm air out on the passenger side, stating, "this is a common problem and we need to flush the heater core to be sure the blockage we suspect is actually there, however, fluid flushes are something not covered under warranty. So if you give us $100, we'll fix your heater." To which I responded, "It's heating core fluid, not motor oil or windshield wash. It's not something the comsumer goes through or wears out and it's not something that's supposed to be replaced on a regular basis in order to keep the car working properly. If flushing the system is what you need to do to fix the problem, then that would fall under diagnosis of the warranty claim, and it's your responsibility to fix the car under those premise." To which they told me to piss off. I had my entire warranty claims list printed out (which is well over 40 claims now) and will be contacting Subaru of America in the morning. This phone call has been a long time coming . . .

Wow that really does suck. Good luck with the phone call. I was on hold for 42 min today before I got a chance to speak with someone. :spin:

/ That's some serious bullshit. Any idea what time of day they start taking calls and what the time zone is? What time of day did you try calling?

I called around 1:30 central time today. They have one 3 min song that plays in an endless loop with some recording breaking in every so often to tell you your call is important.

I read through this whole thread and I missed what the stop date was. Is there a certain build date and or vin cut off?

there are a TON of treads on this. i read most of them except then i saw this one.

what i gather is that cars built between jan-apr of 08 are affected. the stop sale was issued early april 08.

forget the VIN numbers, my car was manufactured in october of 08 (the date is on your drivers door). i am going to assume they fixed the problem and didn't knowingly put a defective engine in my car six months after issuing the stop sale. this should at least give me peace of mind but if it happens, it happens.

can anyone prove my theory wrong with other build dates?

rosscarlson, im not sure but did anywhere in this thread you mention your build date?

Found this thread interesting on NASIOC, seems to be a collection of WRX's that have the same problems as here.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695936&highlight=spun+rod

thanks i saw that before but now i actually read it.

"yes, it has been resolved since oct/08 build dates."

also gives me more confidence i have the nitrided crankshaft :)

what i gather is that cars built between jan-apr of 08 are affected. the stop sale was issued early april 08.

I would say the effected cars were at least 12/07-4/08. Both my car and a friend of mines were built in 12/07 and blew up before 15,000 miles. :confused:

Hmm, perhaps the problem is more widespread than they lead on . . .

From what I've seen I would completely agree. I would be nervous in any car with an 08/09 engine. I was told not to worry by my dealer. Obviously I had something to worry about. :mad:

anyone have a failure after the 06/08 build date? i was trying to get the build date of the guy who started this thread in the first place...

there were a few WRX guys that had failures from builds in 09/09. I feel like I just missed this problem with my car (i hope!). either way my confidence is restored for the time being.

• 9 months later...

my motor gave out on me about a week ago about 76k on an 05. I have 6 years, 100k mile warranty on the motor. Dealer and Subaru of North America is denying my warranty claim work for a new motor (cylinder head went out) because they claim it was the fault of my spark plugs that i installed A YEAR AGO. They claim that the loose spark plug was the cause of the cylinder to detonate the coil pack, plug, and cylinder and cause motor failure. My argument with them is if the spark plugs were incorrectly installed, that my motor or cylinder would of gave out a while back NOT a year later.

Basically the @$$ holes want me to dish out 6-7k just to get the damn car back on the road. Im taking my arguement to subaru of north america until i get my car fixed with no questions asked. For sure this is my first and last subaru i will ever purchase. the customer service has been horrible

i had a 04 mazda rx8 with a rotary engine that blew up at 70k miles and they never asked as many questions as subaru did and replaced my motor immediately without all the hassle. I would expect shitty service from mazda, but not subaru. Never again will i buy one of these cars again

He had it already heavily modded when he blew up the engine.

Subaru still covered him.

His mod list from teh first post:

Interior/exterior

- NAV while moving hack

- NAV screen plays video hack

- Seatbelt chime disable

- iPod/iPhone cable installed to NAV for video

- Debadged (all but the Spec.B logo)

- Windows tinted 30% all around

- Smoked tail lights

- Clear bra front/mirrors

- CDM Spec.B embroidered floor mats

- "Tap to turn" signal mod (not yet installed)

- Passport 9500xi GPS radar detector

Suspension

- K-Sport adjustable coilovers

- Whiteline 25mm front swaybar

- Perrin front endlinks

- Whiteline 25mm rear swaybar

- Perrin rear endlinks

- AVO rear swaybar reinforcement bracket

- Full corner balance

Brakes

- Wilwood 4 piston front calipers

- Front/Rear stainless lines