LegacyGT.com

Huge thanks to subaru - please read!!!

According to the vin, mine was not in the known stop sale range, but I had an issue similar to the OP. 32k miles; "Tech removed oil pan and found steel shrapnel throughout. found the #2 connecting rod bearing worn and damaged the crankshaft and contaminated the engine block. Tech installed new long block part #soa008L001"

This was done under warranty for me as well.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a "go-green" effort, Subaru dropped lead from the rod and main bearings they were using. The problem was, then, that the new bearings were harder than the crank. So when something happens (a period of low oil pressure, low oil level, anything), you would score the crank and lose all oil pressure for that journal.

The "new" motors have a nitrided crankshaft, which increases surface hardness, and prevents issues like this from happening.

Good to know but where did you get this info? I've been trying to figure out if this new long block part number consisted of anything differing from the original long block.

I'm in Montreal and never had an issue with the 2 dealers I deal with. Just had the ecm changed with no questions asked. Pretty satisfied, and they always wash the car before i picked it up(bonus)lol. Had 2 WRX's and 2 Legacy's. For Montreal people check the dealers at Atwater and Brossard. Great service.

The service at my dealership has been outstanding, although I've never had to approach it for warranty work or major problems. The second of my two '08s is about to go out of warranty in January without a glitch. The service manager even suggests I bring the car in just before warranty expiration so he can fit it with new brake pads all around at no charge. I sympathize with some of the posters on here who are annoyed at premature engine failure. If it's a manufacturing defect, anyone owning a defective car should be compensated. If it's an isolated incident, well, that's the luck of the draw. The manufacturer does inform you about the length of the warranty and gives you the opportunity to extend it (for a price, of course).

What's really annoying is when manufacturers try to hide defects. I've posted here before that Porsche has been secretive about the widely reported defect in its M96 engines, installed in more than half a million cars (including my Boxster). When the engine fails (one reported as low as 6K miles) and the car is just out of warranty, Porsche may or may not give you any money toward an engine replacement that costs around $18K. Give Subaru credit for stopping production, taking cars back and making a public announcement when it had an engine problem. Subaru isn't perfect, but I still think it's better than most manufacturers when standing behind its products.

Archived