LegacyGT.com

Huge thanks to subaru - please read!!!

I do find it funny that the Porsche community calls the Boxster's CEL the "Change Engine Light" because they're just that common. One of the magazines mentioned that the dealership receives the new longblock pre-filled with oil and ready to go.

BTW, what's so special about their engine that makes it cost $18k? The brand name?

the cylinders are aluminum with more carbon near the cylinder walls and bunch of special processes the pistons are fit per cylinder and so on ..

also i doubt there shiped full of oil because there dry sump oiling system. those cars you check with it running in a remote resovoir and they usually hold like 14 L of oil

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OP: If you plan on tracking it that much, you need a few simple upgrades.

Cosworth Oil Pan baffle

Oil Pressure Gauge with alarm

Upgraded oil pump would be a good idea too

If you're really getting alot of track time, I would even suggest a dry sump conversion or at the very least a larger capacity oil pan.

where do i get oil pan and oil pump from ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Glad to hear they took care of it for you.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I do find it funny that the Porsche community calls the Boxster's CEL the "Change Engine Light" because they're just that common. One of the magazines mentioned that the dealership receives the new longblock pre-filled with oil and ready to go.

BTW, what's so special about their engine that makes it cost $18k? The brand name?

Yes, everything is grossly overpriced. It costs several thousand dollars in Porsche options to duplicate the standard power/audio equipment inside my 2.5i Limited. Plus, beyond the engine and suspension bits, there's very little else in the Porsche that's German. Brakes are Brembo, transmission is Aisin, seats are Lear and the whole thing's assembled in Finland. If that little badge on the hood said "Nissan" instead, you could knock 20 grand off the price of the car without changing a thing. While there's very little out there that handles and stops as well as a Boxster, lower-priced competitors are getting closer. Plus, I have a lot more confidence in the durability of Subaru engines than the one in my Porsche. If Subaru could make a roadster with its turbo, I might be the first to sign up. I'll be interested to see how the Toyota-Subaru coupe turns out.

mwiener2,

Thanks for the advice, that's not the first time I've heard that. I want to talk with Subie about it as I don't want to void the warranty since it saved my ass! If I can have them do it under warranty I would certainly consider it. Car blowing up at the track is NO FUN AT ALL!

-Ross

• 4 weeks later...
it had about 150 miles when I picked it up. So I don't know what they did to her at the stealership! I was on the freeway when I heard the sound. I was going about 65'ish MPH. Immediately took the next exit and did the whole prop the hood and pretend I know what I am doing thing. Took city streets to my house, then straight to the dealership first thing in morning. Took city streets for that as well. She is my second car from the same dealership and I take her there for all maintanence and work, so they know that I had nothing to do with it. My service department gave me loaner and said we will call you when we find out what is wrong! It all got fixed and she runs amazingly well!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
that or you could of taken all that stuff off and replaced it with original parts ..

the dealer in montreal would not change a shock on my friends 04 wrx because it had a cold air intake ..

Really? I call BS on that, or I would call Subaru about that. Ever heard of Magnus Moss and the Magnus Moss Warranty Act?

EDIT: You're in Canada so Magnus Moss doesn't apply to you. Canada must have something similar though, right?

Let's face it, Subaru dealers BLOW. The worst dealership experiences I have ever had have been with Subaru. It's really been a TERRIBLE time with a handful of incompetent and terrible Subaru dealers.

Really? I call BS on that, or I would call Subaru about that. Ever heard of Magnus Moss and the Magnus Moss Warranty Act?

EDIT: You're in Canada so Magnus Moss doesn't apply to you. Canada must have something similar though, right?

Let's face it, Subaru dealers BLOW. The worst dealership experiences I have ever had have been with Subaru. It's really been a TERRIBLE time with a handful of incompetent and terrible Subaru dealers.

You must have some bad dealers in your area - I've had great success with all the Subaru dealers in my area. My worst experience (by far) was back with my VW GTI, where the driver window motor blew up, and the dealer kept my car for 3 weeks (waiting for parts to come in from Germany), refused to give me a loaner (even though I was under warrenty), and worst of all, left my car outside with the window DOWN for all 3 weeks. When I got the car back it had a bunch of leaves that had blown inside (luckily it hadn't rained!).

You must have some bad dealers in your area - I've had great success with all the Subaru dealers in my area. My worst experience (by far) was back with my VW GTI, where the driver window motor blew up, and the dealer kept my car for 3 weeks (waiting for parts to come in from Germany), refused to give me a loaner (even though I was under warrenty), and worst of all, left my car outside with the window DOWN for all 3 weeks. When I got the car back it had a bunch of leaves that had blown inside (luckily it hadn't rained!).

We really do have some terrible Subaru dealers by me, it's really a disgrace.

I worked with a VW/Audi performance shop when I had my GTI, so I never had a bad experience with mine.;)

Awesome story! It goes to show that there are some great Subaru Dealers out there that really know how to take care of their cars. That's how Gillman Subaru here in houston is. they even have mod days where they let a bunch of us suby guys come in and use all their lifts and equipment to do mods and maintenance and the mechanics hang out and just help and advise.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

I too had a terrible time with VW. Took our Jetta TDI in for some warranty work (faulty headlight). After fighting with them to cover it they did, but they installed a headlight that was different than the other. One side has a amber TURN SIGNAL cover and the other side has a AMBER BULB with CLEAR cover.

Both are VW parts. Such a pain in the a** that we never went back.

We really do have some terrible Subaru dealers by me, it's really a disgrace.

I worked with a VW/Audi performance shop when I had my GTI, so I never had a bad experience with mine.;)

Hey RJS......have you tried Curry Subaru in Cortlandt Manor,NY ? Excellent service......... And they are open 7 days a week! I must say that Subaru has really stood behind their product in my case. I was one of the first to have the turbo oil-supply pipe leak. The car was in the shop (NINE WEEKS ! ) waiting for the factory to re-design and manufacture a replacement for the defective one.(This later became a full blown recall) I was in a loaner the whole time. Subaru of America felt so bad when I called......that they mailed me a check for the full cost +installation of their "PowerPack"(SPT intake,Heat shield,and SPT catback exhaust). ($1850.00). PLUS they fixed a baseball dent in the side of my car free. Then,12K miles later when the oil pick-up tube in the oil pan cracked and failed (see UncleMat's post on "oil pick-up tube failures"), they replaced the short block -that was at 40K miles. Also got a free loaner for that repair (3 days ). So far--I'm very pleased with Subaru :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Hey RJS......have you tried Curry Subaru in Cortlandt Manor,NY ? Excellent service......... And they are open 7 days a week! I must say that Subaru has really stood behind their product in my case. I was one of the first to have the turbo oil-supply pipe leak. The car was in the shop waiting for the factory to re-design and manufacture a replacement for the defective one.(This later became a full blown recall) I was in a loaner the whole time. Subaru of America felt so bad when I called......that they mailed me a check for the full cost +installation of their "PowerPack"(SPT intake,Heat shield,and SPT catback exhaust). ($1850.00). PLUS they fixed a baseball dent in the side of my car free. Then,12K miles later when the oil pick-up tube in the oil pan cracked and failed (see UncleMat's post on "oil pick-up tube failures"), they replaced the short block -that was at 40K miles. Also got a free loaner for that repair (3 days ). So far--I'm very pleased with Subaru :)

I have not tried them. I think the next time I have to go in for dealer work, I will give them a try.

At 13000 miles, my Spec B had a spun rod bearing today. Still awaiting news for the dealership. Any idea how much better these new engines are?

In a "go-green" effort, Subaru dropped lead from the rod and main bearings they were using. The problem was, then, that the new bearings were harder than the crank. So when something happens (a period of low oil pressure, low oil level, anything), you would score the crank and lose all oil pressure for that journal.

The "new" motors have a nitrided crankshaft, which increases surface hardness, and prevents issues like this from happening.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

In a "go-green" effort, Subaru dropped lead from the rod and main bearings they were using. The problem was, then, that the new bearings were harder than the crank. So when something happens (a period of low oil pressure, low oil level, anything), you would score the crank and lose all oil pressure for that journal.

The "new" motors have a nitrided crankshaft, which increases surface hardness, and prevents issues like this from happening.

thank you, finally an explanation that makes sense. now i just need to make sense of the stop sale dates. does my specb have a nitrided crankshaft :confused:

This is 2009 SpecB's only?

No this is a problem in certain 08-09 2.5 turbo engines. There was a stop sale on certain VIN numbers and make dates but many (myself included) have found that being outside the stop sale doesn't mean you're safe.

No this is a problem in certain 08-09 2.5 turbo engines. There was a stop sale on certain VIN numbers and make dates but many (myself included) have found that being outside the stop sale doesn't mean you're safe.

Is there any way to know before I am stuck on the side of the road? :spin:

As long as it happens while under the factory warranty I don't really care but after that it would suck. Perhaps I shouldn't have cancelled that extended warranty (not). I suppose if it does go out after the warranty the car will most likely be paid off and I could afford to replace it with a cosworth motor, heh.

Even if the bearing does go I wouldn't have done things differently. Lord knows this won't be the first/last bottom end I've trashed.

Were you before or after the stop sale?

I just checked my VIN, mine is 206779, which appears to be well before it.

where do you find the build date?

Archived