LegacyGT.com

Rutland, VT - Yay or Nay??

SnoDork

Hey Guys,

What can you guys tell me about Rutland, VT.?? My wife originally is from NH and grew up skiing the local VT mountains.

But I'd like to know what you guys think, good - bad - or the other...

More speifically...amenities, what's near, close...Road conditions? Subaru LGT on 19s no bueno...

Me = SoCaL, Family of 4 (two young children) with NE ties & Family within driving distance.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the vaugeness, just tryin to ge a feel for the area.

And to the guys that do respond, if you dont mind me PM'n ya, please note it in your post.

:)

~Sucka-Duck~

Let me put it this way....... I've lived in Middlebury my entire life (1hr north) and I hate, hate, hate Rutland, like, so much so, that I kinda wish it was wiped off the map.

Yeah. Um, if you're looking to move here to VT, come to Middlebury, or the surrounding area. Hell I'll pick you up from the airport and drive you all over the state if you want to check it all out. Just stay away from Rutland

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I don't know much about Rutland, but I've got family in burlington, colchester, jericho and a couple other areas. My heart is in Vermont; if my wife told me she wanted to move up there, I'd probably drop everything and do it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

PM away my friend. I spend alot of time in Rutvegas (slang for rutland i'm sure you will hear it) and Killington area, my parents have a ski house up there. I went to boarding school at Killington Mountain School. Umm.... rutland itself, sucks. Pretty much what Aczwild said. Although the surrounding towns (Chittenden, Mendon, Killington, Ludlow) aren't bad. Roads can suck, i mean you have your good ones (main highways, Rt. 4, Rt 100, Rt. 103, Rt. 7) Then you have your crappy side roads too. If you would like to stay in a place for a weekend or something let me know i might be able to hook something up in my parents place (30 mins outside rutland center). It can fit 6 pretty comfortably.

My best friend lives in Chittendon, not a bad place at all. Right near Rutland. To answer some of your questions.

Roads: not bad, VT does a decent job on the good roads again (Rt. 100, Rt. 4, Rt. 103, Rt. 7)

Rutland itself, sucks but has what you need. Grocery store, walmart, auto places - i myself go into rutland alot for the necessities then go back up the mountain to get away.

Surrounding towns: OK (Careful of Killington town income tax rate is like 9 F***ing percent)

Main roads- not great but not bad. You are 45 - 1 hr from 91 which is the major highway that runs from Bridgeport CT to Canada. However that 45 - 1 hr is spent on roads you can do between 55 (speed limit) and 70 - at night (not liable for speeding tickets.)

All in all.... i love it up there. I hope you ski (cause without that winter sucks) or plan to go back to socal for winters. In the summer its a very slow place which is nice for a vacation. Lots of outside stuff to do (Golf, Hike, Fish, Mtn Bike, Rock Climb, Alpine slide @ Pico) 2.5 - 3 hrs from boston, not far from manchester, NH (not sure on time like an hr?)

All in all i love the place, and you can surely find something up there. If you need referrals let me know. I can get you my parents numbers for all the people they use, lawyers, real estate agents, accountants. Let me know if there is anything else you need or would like to know, be glad to help!!!

Oh and side note: If you arn't opposed to being near canada - burlington was rated one of the top 5 cities in the country to live a little while back. Little crime, great weather (if you are ok with winter) and some nice shopping and stuff. College town though. Other than that don't know much about it.

Hope this helps!

^^Great info, thanks!!

The way logistics are panning out, the job is in Rutland, VT...so living in Rutland isnt a necessity.

What would you guys recomment as far as places to live that are close (driving wise) to Rutland, say under 45mins...and South East or even North East of Rutland.

My wife's family is from the New Loundon area of NH, so i'm using Clairemont NH as my reference point to be close to. (hope that made sense.)

Wife's mother is Ill, ill enough for me to transplant la familia closer so my wife could be within driving disntance of her mom.

Also one thing to note is, we have 2yo and another due in July (just around the corner)

Again...thanks for your help fellas.

:)

kmfuse87 i'll be pm'n ya shortly

~Sucka-Duck~

Pm'd back.

After reading the ages of your kids, I definitely stand by checking out the Middlebury area. Its about 45 mins North of Rutland, and about 1:45 - 2 hrs to New London. However, check out Woodstock and that surrounding area, its much closer to New London and is a very good area to raise young kids (just like the Middlebury area)

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Just read all your PMs and Reply's to the wife....Thank you and she also thanks you and is amazed by everyones help! again thank you...

Keep any thoughts or ideas coming, we've got some new areas to think about....:)

~Sucka-Duck~

You woulda paid out the ass...

Brandon is a nice area, small though (dont blink when you drive through, you might miss it), but a nice compromise. Its far though from Burlington, which is "the city" in VT. If you're looking for Best Buy, Costco, etc. you have to go to Burlington, however you may be close enough to Lebanon, NH living in Brandon

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Flying out tomorrow night (red eye to boston)...interview in boston @ airport with VP/marketing & VP/Operation.

(i've done several rounds of phone interviews with different personal)

then a 1030a flight on CapeAir to Rutland...meet & greet @ prospective employer/site visit

I'll have late afternoon/early evening on friday open to explore the surrounding areas.

This is a quick trip as I flyout Sat AM @ 540a...

If anyone has got a good/close Real Estate agent, i wouldnt mind asking them a few questions while i'm in town.

I'll be at the Hampton Inn in Rutland for a night & will have a rental car.

~Sucka-Duck~

If you want a "guide" friday afternoon (post 5pm) let me know, if not I highly suggest grabbing a good dinner at the Lakehouse Pub and Grille on Lake Bomoseen http://www.lakehousepubandgrill.com/

As for a real-estate agent, I'm not real sure of a good one down in the Rutland area, I'll try to check into one for you and I'll grab some of the listings for you in the area (if I dont see you, I can mail them to you)

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

just one question...will you be bringing the LGT?! :)

edit: not for this trip, i mean if you move here.

was thinking...if i do, how would it survive out there?!? 19s on 35series tires...and the snow and mucky muck. But yeah, its my baby so Yah! :lol:

~Sucka-Duck~

hah yep jeff's got it right. gonna need set of winter wheels/tires most likely, just so you dont mess up your purdy 19s. it would survive great!

i'm guessing its not lowered at all? i dont know if that is possible on 19s

hah yep jeff's got it right. gonna need set of winter wheels/tires most likely, just so you dont mess up your purdy 19s. it would survive great!

i'm guessing its not lowered at all? i dont know if that is possible on 19s

As the LGT sits as of now :)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/m_baylon/HBLGT5/bolsa09.jpg

~Sucka-Duck~

Archived