LegacyGT.com

ECUTek Reflash. 280 ft.lbs. 245 whp.

SpankyLGT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuan,

forgive me for asking a general and rhetorical question, but assuming a 5EAT got the ECUTek treatment, what would you guess the kind of improvement in performance it would get? do you think it would be anything worth writing home about, given that ECUTek is the only mod done on the car?:confused:

Tuan,

forgive me for asking a general and rhetorical question, but assuming a 5EAT got the ECUTek treatment, what would you guess the kind of improvement in performance it would get? do you think it would be anything worth writing home about, given that ECUTek is the only mod done on the car?:confused:

The gain's should be fairly close the manual. You can expect to shave off at least 3 tenths or more from the quarter mile. Drivability should improve as well.

Tuan

Yup SAE is SAE This is hijacked from a google search I came up with.

Correction Factor

A key element to producing comparable dyno charts on a global basis is the Correction Factor, SAE Standard J1349, which applies the following weather station data--atmospheric pressure 29.23, air temperature 77 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity 0 percent--to all tests. These exact figures allow apples-to-apples comparison of runs from different cars, different facilities, etc. So graphs with SAE-corrected power were made to this standard.

But the SAE correction factor is generally considered to be not that accurate on turbocharged engines. Especially as the magnitude of the correction increases.

Spanky, at what RPM were you shifting during your runs?

But the SAE correction factor is generally considered to be not that accurate on turbocharged engines. Especially as the magnitude of the correction increases.

This is more likely at higher altitude. At sea level the SAE correction is very consistent whether your car is FI or NA. All WRX's and STi that I've had on the dyno year round have made consistent HP numbers, within 5-10hp of each other.

-Tuan

Spanky – Sorry for thread jacking but after driving you car I was impressed with how smooth and powerful it was.

Tuan – I’m also considering having your voodoo done. The main reason would be: can you give me more drivability down low, say under 3k? 90% of my driving is done here and I would love a little better gas mileage. I know Cobbs tune is rich for safety but if you a lean this out a little … = more mpg. I don’t want to give up the gusto of the car and I do NOT want an aggressive tune. Is this possible? I’m running an Up and TBE.

No, I'm speaking from experience. Stock with EcuTeK reflash 5EAT. 16 psi max boost. Very fast now, esp. in sport mode. I'll be getting a dyno run soon.

How does the EcuTeK affect the shift-response of the manual 5EAT mode.. If only it would shift faster (i.e. RIGHT NOW rather than "I'll think about it.. Maybe.. Ok.."), it'd be WELL WORTH IT to me..

HV

wouldnt that be independent of the ecu, and more along the duties of the shift computer? :confused:

Could well be..

But, on another forum, Shiv said he could adjust the "default" 500 msec response time of the throttle-by-wire, I was wondering if this would result in better shift response too?!?

HV

Spanky – Sorry for thread jacking but after driving you car I was impressed with how smooth and powerful it was.

Tuan – I’m also considering having your voodoo done. The main reason would be: can you give me more drivability down low, say under 3k? 90% of my driving is done here and I would love a little better gas mileage. I know Cobbs tune is rich for safety but if you a lean this out a little … = more mpg. I don’t want to give up the gusto of the car and I do NOT want an aggressive tune. Is this possible? I’m running an Up and TBE.

Either the Ecutek software or the stock ecu programming does not allow me to lean out the AFR higher than 14.7:1. Maybe Cobb's software might allow for leaner AFR in closed loop? I would have to see his software. Spanky, however has been telling me he has been getting far better gas mileage ever since the reflash. I'm not sure why as I shorten the closed to open delay period. The reflash tune on Spanky's car is actually richer than stock in open loop as I felt it was way to lean. The knock corrections recorded were actually alot smoother with more power on the reflash verse's the stock map :).

I can manipulate the drive by wire system so that throttle response would be better, I just haven't had a chance to play with it on the Legacy's, only on the STi's.

-Tuan

Could well be..

But, on another forum, Shiv said he could adjust the "default" 500 msec response time of the throttle-by-wire, I was wondering if this would result in better shift response too?!?

HV

I highly doubt it.

Spanky, at what RPM were you shifting during your runs?

7k in first and 6.2K or so everywhere else. I'm not sure what the altitude of Norwalk Raceway is. But here in Chicago we are at around 642ft. above sea level.

• 3 months later...

but those whp/wtq just look really high for the OE LGT.

Tuan tuned my Rex and I recall the OE pulls were in the 165-175 whp/wtq range (can't find my maps). As tuned with APS UP and TBE it was doing 210-220 whp/wtq.

I would be equally surprised and thrilled if a stock LGT had wheel results of 210+ in either category - would imply less driveline loss than my Rex.

I'm really impressed by the torque figures.

but as I said, Tuan tuned my Rex and I fully appreciate the focus being % increases, not absolute #s.

That said, I trust his equipment and those are big numbers absolute, % or otherwise.

I just hope he can do (somewhere near) the same for me...again.

as has been said 25 times already. it depends on the dyno. what matters is the net increase.

dR

Archived