LegacyGT.com

ECUTek Reflash. 280 ft.lbs. 245 whp.

SpankyLGT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine. I guess all the Dynapaks should be packed up and shipped back down under. How do they calibrate these things? Is it horsepower or kangaroo power?

Anyone who believes that a retuned stock LGT can make 280 ft-lbs at the wheels (and I mean honest to goodness torque not just a graph) is either very gullible, nieve or ignorant.

You're putting way too much stock in that number. Not that its wrong, but you cant compare different dynos on different days in different conditions. Notice that this particular dyno put the LGT at 210 whp stock (IIRC), which is about as high as I've seen from any dyno. So it runs high, fine...that's still taken into account when you look at before and after reflash numbers. The important thing here is the differential between the before and after dynos, not the after peak numbers which apparently have your panties all up in a bunch. Life's a bitch, get over it.

And hearing someone from So Cal call Chicago "Shitcago" = hilarity

I noticed that you are running 16 psi of peak boost same as AP stage 2, but the stage 2 tapers off at 14 psi and you taper off at 10psi. How much peak and redline boost would be run with a catless downpipe, equivilent to AP stage 2, I assume the reason for the 10 psi at redline is due to the lack of a catless downpipe.

And a mod reminder here guys... keep the tone calm and the language non-confrontational.

All of us benefit from the dialogue... not all of us benefit from the name calling and personal attacks, so take it to PM if you must.

Back on topic - Spanky - what UP/DP combo are you going to be using? I'm sorry if I missed that.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's an amazing tune for bone stock. What are some other Ecutek custom tune numbers that others have achieved at Stage 1? I don't think anyone else has come close to approaching those kinds of percentage gains on a stock car.

SC GT,

Spanky was the first Legacy that I tuned. I was quite ummm shocked to see that I was able to make that much torque. Oddly enough it is about the same (midrange torque) as I would make on a stock STi with a reflash. Boost peaks between 16-17psi tapering off to about 12-13 psi by redline.

Tuan

And a mod reminder here guys... keep the tone calm and the language non-confrontational.

All of us benefit from the dialogue... not all of us benefit from the name calling and personal attacks, so take it to PM if you must.

Back on topic - Spanky - what UP/DP combo are you going to be using? I'm sorry if I missed that.

SBT

Perrin Down-pipe and probably the GT Spec headers w/up-pipe.

ah, thanks. do you use a device or something?

The only thing outside of the OBD2 connector that it uses is a programming block switch that puts the ECU into utility mode. It uses the 2 connectors for reseting the ECU with a switch.

Spanky,

What track do you run at ? Any ones to avoid ?

Mark

Byron's always treated me pretty well and I've run good times there. I went 13.7@100 in a stock '03 Mustang GT there. GLD is supposed to hook the best, but their tech is tough, so if you go with any fast cars without a cage, they're not going to get in.

How's this for a challenge?

Since we've got a lot of Chicago members, and some skepticism regarding Spanky's numbers, why don't we have a Chicago member with an AP go to Tuan for an ECUTEC tune. Tuan can dyno with the AP and with the EKUTEC. If the EKUTEC tune fails to come within 10% of the numbers Spanky posted, then the member can get reflashed back to stock for free. If Tuan matches Spanky's tune, then the member pays for and keeps the tune, and then sells his AP in the classifieds.

I'd really like to see if Spanky just has one of those "exceptional" cars, or if Tuan can consistently match that tune. I'd also like to see how a Stage 1 AP does on that dyno.

How's this for a challenge?

Since we've got a lot of Chicago members, and some skepticism regarding Spanky's numbers, why don't we have a Chicago member with an AP go to Tuan for an ECUTEC tune. Tuan can dyno with the AP and with the EKUTEC. If the EKUTEC tune fails to come within 10% of the numbers Spanky posted, then the member can get reflashed back to stock for free. If Tuan matches Spanky's tune, then the member pays for and keeps the tune, and then sells his AP in the classifieds.

I'd really like to see if Spanky just has one of those "exceptional" cars, or if Tuan can consistently match that tune. I'd also like to see how a Stage 1 AP does on that dyno.

Evidently you dont know how licensing works for ecutek... In flashing an ecu he would be using up one of his license keys (not cheap, say 6xx dollars). Even if he reflashed it back to stock he would still be out that license key.

So while that sounds good and dandy i dont think he would take the hit to prove a point, now if someone wanted to pay him for it that would prob be different.

And an ecutek is going to give you a better tune if the tuner knows what he is doing and has the right tools (wide band, dyno, etc).

No way a pre canned tune can beat a good tuner with the right tools.

I do love it when people put their money where their mouths are. Although in actuality, any good tuner will always be able to beat an off -the-shelf tune with a custom tune. So if the "bet" is that if Tuan comes up with better numbers than an AP tune, the car's owners pays for and keep the tune, it's pretty much a slam dunk.

I do love it when people put their money where their mouths are. Although in actuality, any good tuner will always be able to beat an off -the-shelf tune with a custom tune. So if the "bet" is that if Tuan comes up with better numbers than an AP tune, the car's owners pays for and keep the tune, it's pretty much a slam dunk.

In re-reading my "challenge", I realize what I meant to say and what I actually said were two different things. I meant to say that I'd like to see Tuan get within 10% of Spanky's gains, not just his numbers. E.g., Spanky gained 43 hp (+20%), and 59 ft/lbs (+26%). In my mind, Tuan would be successful if he was able to get at least an 18% hp and +23 ft/lb over a stock baseline. For comparison's sake:

GRD ECUTek (93 octane)

211 hp and 227 ft/lb stock baseline --> 254 hp (+20%) and 286 ft/lb (+26%) after Stage 0 ECUTek tune.

Cobb AccessPort (91 octane)

196 hp and 219 ft/lb stock baseline --> 224 hp (+14%) and 248 lb/ft (+13%) after AP Stage 1, map v. 1.01.

PDX ECUTek (92 octane)

191 hp and 190 ft/lb stock baseline --> 225 hp (+18%) and 228 ft/lb (+20%) after Stage 0 ECUTek tune.

Harman Motive ECUTek (91 octane)

203 hp and 222 ft/lb stock baseline --> 230 hp (+13%) and 252 (+14%) after ECUtek'ing an otherwise stock LGT.

PDX has come close to 10% of Spanky's percentage gains, so it shouldn't be too hard for Tuan/GRD to do so. (I didn't realize PDX's gains were as good as they are when I typed the "challenge").

Unfortunately, the way it came out was that Tuan should come within 10% of Spanky's numbers, which would just be 229 hp and 257 ft/lb, which on GRD's dyno wouldn't seem too hard to do.

Thanks for posting the numbers in tabular form. Couple notes though. The Cobb tq number should be 248, not 252 and the most important note would be the fuels used in each case. The AP and Harman Motive tunes were on 91 octane. The PDX tune was on 92 octane and the GRD tune was on 93 octane. Interestingly and pehaps obviously, there seems to be some pretty strong correlation between fuel quality and the power numbers.

Another point of clarification. When you say within 10% of Spanky's % gains, I calculate that to be 249hp/280tq, assuming the same baseline numbers, or gains of 18%hp and 23.4%tq.

Archived