LegacyGT.com

Mitsubishi to announce 400hp Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X FQ400

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X FQ400

Mitsubishi announces mad 403bhp Lancer Evolution X - 3.8sec to 62mph, £50K

By Stephen Dobie

27th May 2009

http://photos.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_617/car_photo_308611_7.jpg Mitsubishi has upped the ante with its rather bonkers Evo X FQ400. It’s the most powerful officially tuned Lancer Evolution yet released, with 403bhp and 387lb ft topping the previous best, the 400bhp Evo VIII FQ400.

It enables the Evo X to complete the 0-62mph sprint in a sprightly 3.8sec – as quick as most supercars – and onto a 155mph limited top speed.

The extra power is extracted from the same 2-litre MIVEC engine as the rest of the Evolution range, but it gains a significant overhaul to hike the power north of 400bhp. There’s a new, suitably enlarged turbocharger, which gets low-friction bearings, a high temperature turbine and a strengthened thrust bearing. The result is keener response and reduced turbo lag.

There are also motorsport-spec fuel injectors, tweaks to the ECU, an enhanced intercooler (to keep the new turbo in check) and a 3in diameter stainless steel exhaust to allow gases to flow out with less hassle.

The Evo X FQ400 rides 30mm lower and gets a wider track, with Eibach springs and Bilstein shock absorbers. New lightweight, nine-spoke 18in alloys come wrapped in Toyo Proxes R1R cut slick rubber.

There are the usual chassis gizmos, too. Top billing goes to Mitsubishi’s trick four-wheel-drive system (S-AWC), which distributes power to the wheels that’ll use it most effectively. Among S-AWC’s arsenal are stability control, an active centre differential and Sport ABS, while the system can be switched between Tarmac, Gravel and Snow modes.

Outside, there’s tweaked styling and aerodynamics with a heavily vented bonnet, composite side skirts and a restyled rear bumper and carbonfibre diffuser. There’s also the particularly cool sounding ‘Vortex Generator’ on the roof; essentially those protruding carbon bits, that manage airflow that little bit more specifically.

The Lancer Evo X FQ400 goes on sale in June 2009, costing a pound shy of £50K. It’s big money for a Japanese sports saloon, but try finding a mix of four-door practicality, five-star NCAP ratings, Isofix seats and 3.8sec 0-62 times for less and you’ll probably struggle…

Mitsubishi also popped its SST twin-clutch transmission in the FQ330 this week. Gen-up on that here.

Way way too much money. Costs as much as a new z06

True!

But at least they will be making it... What tells us there is a market for it...

Remember the discussions back in the days of a Legacy STi with turbo H6 making 400hp/400lbft? Well, Mitsu is jumping on this niche market first (even though with a "regular" 4 cylinder engine)...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

True!

But at least they will be making it... What tells us there is a market for it...

Remember the discussions back in the days of a Legacy STi with turbo H6 making 400hp/400lbft? Well, Mitsu is jumping on this niche market first (even though with a "regular" 4 cylinder engine)...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Right and i think the STI and evo both need a power jump to 360-400hp but not when you add 35,000 almost 40,000 to the price.

For that price, I'll pony up for a GT-R

Here would be cheaper...

The GT-R there is waaaaay more expensive due to taxes....

You gotta compare oranges by oranges...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Here would be cheaper...

The GT-R there is waaaaay more expensive due to taxes....

You gotta compare oranges by oranges...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Did I mess up my figures? 50,000 pounds = $77,000 right? Why would taxes be more on one than the other?

I'd just buy a regular X and mod it.. but if you have the $$ to buy it out of the box.. that's a cool idea :)

Just like going Stage 1 on a LGT.. on an Evo IX I tuned out 40whp on a dyno dynamics. After more upgrades, it's limitless and still cheaper than forking out that much more money.

50K Pounds is like 100K Canadian dollars.:eek:

I could buy a regular EVO X and put $10K in to it, get my 400hp, and still be $40K ahead of the game.

But I wouldn't be a true baller and have the FQ400 badge on the rear trunk. I guess that badge really is worth $40K.:rolleyes:

I'd just buy a regular X and mod it.. but if you have the $$ to buy it out of the box.. that's a cool idea :)

Just like going Stage 1 on a LGT.. on an Evo IX I tuned out 40whp on a dyno dynamics. After more upgrades, it's limitless and still cheaper than forking out that much more money.

GT-R in the UK costs £60K

Taxes are proportionate to the car's class, horsepower and costs man...

Remember the old luxury taxes - at least here in Mass - for cars over USD 40k???

I really bet Mitsu could sell this car in the States for around USD 55k....As opposed to their USD 45k Evo X price...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

GT-R in the UK costs £60K

Taxes are proportionate to the car's class, horsepower and costs man...

Remember the old luxury taxes - at least here in Mass - for cars over USD 40k???

I really bet Mitsu could sell this car in the States for around USD 55k....As opposed to their USD 45k Evo X price...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

You can get brand new EVO X for 35k.

My only question....

When are similar power parts going to make it into a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Even if it takes a long-block swap... 350-400hp I4 RWD coupe... why not?

I love AWD, and all, but less complexity, maybe a bit less weight, in a sleek-profile 2-door... what is wrong with that?

And why should that ever be the sole domain of the guys in the other thread about the muscle cars. I was going to post over there, but decided against it...

But why must they be focused on the glory days of 40 years ago. Why not live in the now, and make NEW glory days? V8s, TT-V6s or supercharged, Turbo 4s, whatever, in a nice, MODERN-design, RWD coupe.

GenCoupe and even better-looking G37, can be topped, stylistically, too. For some company willing to try.

My only question....

When are similar power parts going to make it into a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Even if it takes a long-block swap... 350-400hp I4 RWD coupe... why not?

I love AWD, and all, but less complexity, maybe a bit less weight, in a sleek-profile 2-door... what is wrong with that?

And why should that ever be the sole domain of the guys in the other thread about the muscle cars. I was going to post over there, but decided against it...

But why must they be focused on the glory days of 40 years ago. Why not live in the now, and make NEW glory days? V8s, TT-V6s or supercharged, Turbo 4s, whatever, in a nice, MODERN-design, RWD coupe.

GenCoupe and even better-looking G37, can be topped, stylistically, too. For some company willing to try.

Im still waiting for toyota to release the 3jz :lol:

Inline 6 4.0liter twin turbo. That would be a fun engine

£50k Isn't really that much guys, not in England.

It's not our fault that everything in England is apparently overpriced. No wonder you wish to only visit the place and not live there.:lol:

a simple fmic with avo380 and fuel would net OVER 400chp. add 5k in parts to the gt. done! who the hell would spend 77k on 400hp on a japanese econobox?

hahaha. its a big a%% joke to me. for 77k i could get 2 gts and mod 1 and if one broke have a brand new spare parts car.

Or, for 77K you could get a shitload of Dodge Neons and when it comes time for oil changes, just junk the car and drive another one. Kind of a silly point, don't you think?

5 grand is a far cry from a car that would overall be similar to the "econobox". I'm not disagreeing with anybody in this thread, the car does seem overpriced, but you're just making all sorts of bad comparisons.

I would WAY rather have an M3 sedan for 55K + options. BMW 414 hp V8 or a Lancer = not even worth a comparison, IMO. But always good to see car makers upping the ante.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Or, for 77K you could get a shitload of Dodge Neons and when it comes time for oil changes, just junk the car and drive another one. Kind of a silly point, don't you think?

5 grand is a far cry from a car that would overall be similar to the "econobox". I'm not disagreeing with anybody in this thread, the car does seem overpriced, but you're just making all sorts of bad comparisons.

i tell you what then...you go spend 77k on a 400chp lancer.

no way will it be that much here anyways. prolly wont make it past 45k msrp.

also...not like the stock turbo didnt/doesnt have 400chp with some tuning. really..this whole thread is a moot point.

Archived