LegacyGT.com

LIGHTNING Strike

So driving down 1-25 in Denver today in a really big rain storm when all the sudden BOOOM!! Huge lighting strike and some decent heat on my left arm. Heard the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life. I seriously thought a bomb went off!!!

Then I look down and realize "huh, my car is dead...no RPM's,...won't start while I am coasting." I had lights on gauges, radio and what not, but no RPM's. Coast off the highway to a parking lot.

Turned the car all the way off and then back on. Still not starting. Dash reads "Er HC" where the mileage usually is. Also, the engine temp gauge is all the way at the top at H. So, I bust out my Cobb AP and plug that in. "Cannot communicate with vehicle Please ensure vehicle is in "ON" position." Great. Tried this a couple of times with no results. Keep in mind, I have power (windows, stereo, etc.) but no communication with the ECU. I even connected the green plugs to bring the car into test mode...which the car did not go into. No fule pump cycling or engine fan on.

So, as we stand now my car is at GO Subaru here in Denver waiting till Tuesday till it can get fixed. I tried a fair amount of remedies I knew like disconnecting the battery, checking fuses, Cobb AP...etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Mostly, I'm just happy I am alright and was not hurt. Plus, I have a cool story. But my car....damnit! I've only had it 2 months. : (

Wow, what a crazy story! If you end up getting a new ECU you'll also have to send your AP back to Cobb for them to reset. Otherwise, it won't let you reinstall it because it thinks it's still married to the old ECU.

:eek: crazy, what are the chances !

The probability of lightning striking a particular object situated on the earth (ground) is found by multiplying the object’s lightning-attractive area by the local ground-flash density (lightning strikes to ground per km2 per year). :lol:

That's the problem with modern cars - they contain sensitive electronics.

And lightning strikes are powerful and unpredictable. You can't protect yourself from every lightning strike that can occur.

453747.png

The VW survived because it wasn't running. I think if the car had been running the circuit between the ignition, the fuel pump, and all the electronics in the engine would've been closed, and all would've been fried. I could be wrong though.

Yes, if it was running the chips would have been powered generating some electrostatic energy, and would have had a much better chance of being fried.

I have had some scary run ins with lightning. Fried one of my favourite ever laptops once. And the second time I was in the theater, turning off the 3phase breaker to thousands of dollars of equipment. 20 seconds later the building was hit. If I was still touching that metal box... I dunno if I'd be posting... But I could literally see a wave of electricity come out of the box and wave across the building. Lightning is some scary shit.

If you have full coverage insurance, it may be covered by "act of god" they should cover it in full.

good luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you don't need a direct hit to fry electronics. Most reported strikes aren't actual strikes from the main bolt....they're usually from the 'electrical splash' that can be anywhere from a few feet to a few thousand feet from the main bolt.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived