LegacyGT.com

LIGHTNING Strike

If you have full coverage insurance, it may be covered by "act of god" they should cover it in full.

good luck

That's what I thought. And, this is exactly what the "act of G-d" clause is about.

I knew some bright spark would say that :lol:

dont be so negative. some of us are positive people and when you bring them together so suddenly you're going to have issues.

car for sale. PM me!

I think you guys are looking for the bad pun thread. :lol:

I find this all revolting! :redface:

I knew some bright spark would say that :lol:

I'm amped you're ok. When it happened, did you say "ohm y god!". :lol:

dont be so negative. some of us are positive people and when you bring them together so suddenly you're going to have issues.

All you people finding joy in my shocking pain! ha! ; )

Dealer called me this morning. They can't even do anything with the car without putting a new computer in first. Time to send my Cobb AP back and have all my keys re-coded. Mother Nature, normally I love you....but in this case, you owe me 500 bucks for my deductible!

Is the car working again?!! What's the story??

Awesome post indeed! I remember when my house got hit by lightning. Scared the living bejesus out of me. However my chimney was still intact, but the Xbox 360 got the RROD. :(

Car is in the shop still. ECM was totally fried. So far, does not seem like anything else is wrong. But we all know how that goes.

Luckily, I am able to borrow my dad's 335xi TT for a few days. Maybe I'll just keep it! : )

Car is in the shop still. ECM was totally fried. So far, does not seem like anything else is wrong. But we all know how that goes.

Luckily, I am able to borrow my dad's 335xi TT for a few days. Maybe I'll just keep it! : )

My condolences...

Today the talk of choice was lightning strike at the rehab center I work (after a particularly severe lightning storm yesterday). Fla is the capitol of strikes in the world.You do not want to get struck. I've seen quite a few with after effects ranging from simple headaches to severe neurological damage . Basically your conduction system and nerves get fried when struck. Having a ECU fry is a blessing compared to what could have happened.

Today the talk of choice was lightning strike at the rehab center I work (after a particularly severe lightning storm yesterday). Fla is the capitol of strikes in the world.You do not want to get struck. I've seen quite a few with after effects ranging from simple headaches to severe neurological damage . Basically your conduction system and nerves get fried when struck. Having a ECU fry is a blessing compared to what could have happened.

Indeed I am really lucky. A car can be fixed...

Dealer got the car started today. However, the entire throttle control system has to be replaced as well. Dealer told me you can floor the gas and the RPM's stick. Also, car is not idling consistently. Also, something about having to replace the BCM too...or some sort of unit that relays info to the power windows...etc.

In other words, Allstate is gonna have to fork over some more cash flow. Good thing it's not out of my pocket!

Yeah even with a grounded system, a lightning strike is like 10,000 amps I think. I would be surprised if everything electrical wasn't gone.

They did a fairly intensive visual check and did not see anything that looks visibly fried. But we all know how that can go...

Keep your fingers crossed for me. At this point, I am almost wishing they would just total the car and I'll get a new one. I am just worried that once a big time electrical disaster happens like this,...the car might never be the same.

That's very true. Hell, even after the smallest fender bender a car is never the same. I have, however, replaced my ECU and didn't notice any difference at all. Beyond an ECU replacement, I have no idea how different the car will be. :( It sucks giving up something you are happy with...
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I think it may have hit my roof rack and traveled down.

Should be one (two, really) somewhere. I'm only asking out of interest in seeing the carnage. People are right. Only a fried ECU is pretty lucky. It could have hit you, which would have been a lot worse, or it could have fried everything electronic in the car as well. Either way, glad you're ok, and glad things are being covered!

Looks like you got the strike of the year!

As I see it - check every electronic detail in that car. It seems to be a complete toast. And some details may not fail right away but maybe some time from now. That's one of the classic ESD problems - electronics is damaged but still works for a while and then dies when the temperature changes or whatever.

453747.png

Archived