LegacyGT.com

Ebay up pipes flex, no flex?

rice_rocket

Has anyone tried these yet?

The last threads I found were from 2005.

Looking at the pics of the current ones, the solid pieces look just like Invidia etc. Quality seems good enough.. thick enough. But does anyone have one/seen one?

I also see designs with the flex sections which is what I'd prefer.. but to keep it simpler I may look at the solid ones so there's less failure to happen..

Any constructive input would be appreciated. I've seen better and better quality come out of "other brands"... not saying that "ebay" is one of them.. but if they are coming out of the same factories etc, then I'm game.

There is a reason why the good ones are upwards of $150 though. The eBay ones look like regular exhaust bellows welded onto some pipe with a flange attached. Honestly, I wouldn't even take their word that it's made from stainless steel... Not to poke fun at the parts you're looking into, Hell my car doesn't even have a turbo, but still.... You have a 2005 LGT, why put some no-name part on there? The one on there probably works better anyway......

This is a brand new Perrin uppie with free shipping for $100...... As opposed to a no-name alternative for $35+$30 for shipping..... You do the math.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perrin-Subaru-WRX-STi-LGT-GC8-Uppipe-PSP-EXT-100-VF39_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ015QQitemZ250426673546QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Those no-name parts claim +15 horses, when this Perrin part claims +10 hp and +10 ft/lbs....

Which one would you believe? +15 for $35 or +10 for $100? At least you can say your car has a Perrin uppie...

Would you buy one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Nitrous-All-Cars-MPG-HP_W0QQitemZ160335165713QQihZ006QQcategoryZ72478QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't think so.

Actually that's an okay price.. for a USED perrin pipe. And I think those don't have flex sections either.

Again, the point is that I am not really sold on brand names anymore. I know that you can buy simple exhaust flex sections for $20 or so.. so yes, maybe it is a flex section with a flange.. but that's exactly what it is.. an exhaust part. The other guy doesn't even have a single picture of his own part.. only some cheezy graph lifted for a display of gained HP.

True I guess, sorry I didn't notice that it was indeed used.

I'd just hate to see you spend $65 and break a stud, have the bellow break, have the gasket surface warp, or have the part not really be made from stainless and see you stuck with a part you're not satisfied with, especially when you could get a tried and true part for a competitive price. I'm sure you could ask the seller of the Perrin pipe for pics, but it's not a flex pipe like what you're looking at.

With fitment being critical with the uppipe, leaks being common, I personally would not want to risk it with a cheap part. I just did this job this past weekend and it's not something you want to have to do twice.

Plus I got my STI uppipe for $40 off craigslist... but would have gladly paid $75. You're getting OEM quality and fitment. Who cares if it's "used"?

$40 off craigslist is good.. even $75 is not bad.

I finally found 2 people trying to get rid of blocks that they got.. so I just paid for one of the famous "$50 shipped" deals on the pipe :)

See I've been trolling for months for the up-pipe and couldn't find one. I'm still curious on the quality of the ebay ones.. maybe someone will get one eventually and let me know :)

Archived