LegacyGT.com

FHI begins construction of new engine plant

keepclam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There keeps being rumors of new engines...

I get the distinct feeling that we'll start to see details that the new H4 line will be descendant from the EZ H6 line.

Shorter cylinder pitch, shorter overall length, and IIRC, a timing chain, instead of a belt, and Dual AVCS from the outset, and adapting DI similar to, or the same as Toyota's system.

2.0 DOHC, Dual-AVCS, with DI, and a decently high compression ratio would probably be the likely engine for the rumors that have surfaced for the last year or so for the Subaru/Toyota sport coupe.

Likely it would also then become the base Impreza engine, as well. 2.4 as a descendant from the 3.6 might also emerge, as well as DI being applied to the EZ range of H6s. Between 2.0-2.4 H4 and 3.0-3.6 H6, all based off of the same mechanical layout, in 4 or 6 piston layout, could also be adapted with the shorter stroke of the 3.0, but the larger bore diameter of the 3.6, for something nearer to a 3.2-3.3 H6, or a 2.2 H4, without the odd asymmetrical con-rods.

The issue then comes with the turbo engine... The EZ series H6, or an H4 directly derived from it would probably not leave enough heat and pressure capacity on deck to handle forced induction on an OE level, without warranty problems... That is a different matter than carefully hand-building an EZ for turbo-use, and then monitoring it closely. There has to be a margin between hard use conditions and failure-inducing conditions, in order for the engine to be reliable from the factory, among other concerns. Strapping a turbo to a low-compression EZ is probably not robust enough for mass-market reliability.

So, would the EJ stick around just for that? I doubt it.... I just wonder then if they would fortify the EZ and it's resultant H4 derivatives, if there is room in the design to do that...

OR, would they port the turbo diesel short block over to gasoline-burning direct injection and spark heads, lighter reciprocating assembly, and other aspects of conversion, and convert them to turbocharged gasoline engines...

The new Legacy gets the same front-underslung mount turbo position that the diesel boxers get... could that be a clue? GM had problems in the 80s converting gas to diesel, but I wonder if it isn't easier to go the other way, and with much newer, much more optimized technical capabilities now than 30 years ago.

I can't see a 3L g cylinder DI turbo for North America from Subaru. With the new 42 MPG CAFE standards for cars probably going to be passed, I think we're going to be seeing a bunch of small 4 cylinder engines.

Even BMW has hinted that the next 3 series might not have a inline 6 but only 4 cylinder engines.

That'll be the day... a 3-series without an inline 6? not a chance. I4s may become more available, but c'mon.

And government regulations strike again.

Funny, the government is now IN the car business that they themselves are trying to destroy.

These new CAFE standards for 2016 are crazy... We're all going to be driving wind up toys...

Ehh not really.

Example

Subaru Legacy GT: AT, 0-60 in 6 seconds, 17/24 MPG

Lexus GS 350: AT, 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, 19/27 MPG

BMW 335xi: AT, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, 17/25 MPG

The technology is here, automakers just need to utilize it.

Ehh not really.

Example

Subaru Legacy GT: AT, 0-60 in 6 seconds, 17/24 MPG

Lexus GS 350: AT, 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, 19/27 MPG

BMW 335xi: AT, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, 17/25 MPG

The technology is here, automakers just need to utilize it.

:confused:

The rumoured 2016 CAFE average is supposed be be 42 MPG(american gallon). The cars that achieve that kind of effieciency are far from performance oriented and none of them are AWD or RWD in the US.

:confused:

The rumoured 2016 CAFE average is supposed be be 42 MPG(american gallon). The cars that achieve that kind of effieciency are far from performance oriented and none of them are AWD or RWD in the US.

Right. My point is that the technology is here. Direct injection, engine start stop, advanced transmissions, cylinder deactivation, and so on. I forsee alot of 2.0L DI turbos making their debut.

Right. My point is that the technology is here. Direct injection, engine start stop, advanced transmissions, cylinder deactivation, and so on. I forsee alot of 2.0L DI turbos making their debut.

2L DI gas turbos with that efficiency?

There are cars with most of the tech bits you mentioned and they still don't average any where near 42 mpg. Maybe, if we drove much smaller cars then people in North America are used to driving. Also, they won't be AWD or RWD.

With US federal government adopting CARB regs, diesels might be out of the question.

Potent cars won't have to meet the 35 MPG standard. Subaru could have a powerful STi that averages 25 MPG and and efficient Impreza (hybrid or diesel) that averages 45 MPG. Thus they could meet the 35 average between the two models.

Look at the S4 with the 4.2L: 340 HP, 302 Trqs., 14/21 (MT)

S4 with the 3.0L TFSI: 333 HP, 324 Trqs., 24+ Hwy (MT)

The new S4 looks pretty good to me. Not to mention, Audi is drastically reducing the weight of their vehicles. Seems to me like they have the right formula.

Additionally, I just saw on NBC that the increases in CAFE standards will cost the consumer $600 to $1000 more for a new vehicle. Cars have been getting more and more expensive for a long time now. However, this isn't paying more for safety features in which you may never use. Spend more initially on a car, the better gas mileage will equal savings as long as you drive your car for more than 2 years. Which, most people do.

Cars HAVE been getting more expensive, and now they will again.

And when have government figures ever been over-estimates... They are almost always UNDER estimates.

And with people out of work, and wages stagnated or even falling, and prices increasing, and the spectre of inflation due to INSANE monetary policy... and government control of two of the auto companies, hand in hand with UAW...

And the tightening of the credit markets...

Do you honestly think people are going to be able to afford MORE price increases?

Today, versus 2.5 years ago, when I bought my Legacy... I can't afford today what I could afford then, both in actual household income, due to my spouse being laid off, and with the increase in costs of most things, while my own wages have stagnated and not met inflation over the last 5 year period. But at least I am not losing my job outright right now...

Sooner or later, one more straw on the camel's back is going to break it.

I don't see how Subaru is going to get to 45 MPG model in a cost effective way and without changing brand fundamentals(ie. AWD). Even if they did, they would have to limit the sales of more performance oriented models to not inflict severe CAFE penalites.

Increasing fuel efficiency by over 50%, in the span of one generation of cars, is no small feat.

I don't see how Subaru is going to get to 45 MPG model in a cost effective way and without changing brand fundamentals(ie. AWD).

Subaru already has a very efficient diesel, not to mention they are affiliated with a company that is the leader in hybrids. If a midsize Prius can get 50 MPG, then an AWD compact Impreza hybrid could get at least 45 MPG.

35.5 mpg fleet average planned

While the 30 percent increase translates to a 35.5 mpg average for both cars and light trucks, the percentage increase in cars would be greater, rising from the current 27.5 mpg standard to 39 mpg starting in 2016. The average for light trucks would rise from 24 mpg to 30 mpg.

For 2009 car models, the industry has actually averaged 32.6 mpg, well above the existing 27.5 mpg standard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30810514/

Archived