LegacyGT.com

Recommend me some brake pads

NSFW

Just for daily driving and occasionally "spirited" drives. The stock pads and the ones I replaced them with both start to feel squishy after about 10-15 minutes of hard driving, which is kind of annoying.

I want:

Better stopping ability, of course.

More resistance to heat.

Firmer pedal feel.

Minimal squeaking.

I don't care if they're dusty.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

I have Hawk HPS, big improvement over stock

Ssssh! After the Hawk bashing in the other thread, I'd be scared if someone heard me say that!:hide: But I'd agree. Either those or Hawk HP for better bite, albeit, with more noise and dust.

Hawk HPS are great pads. I like them better than Endless SSM in fact.

From my research it seems that are the only decent choice for the stock calipers (price & performance being considered). On my Brembo'ed LGT I run Ferrodo DS2500, not available for stock LGT calipers unfortunately.

As I've posted several places, my favorite is XP8 in the front for "spirited" street--a lot of people think they can only be used "on the track"--not so. Great bite (for a "street" application), no issues at all with fade (they can handle light track days). I had Bobcats but just not enough for my tastes--now that I've used XP8 wouldn't go back to a lower street pad. They work in the winter (I've used them), but if it's really cold, you may want to switch to a regular high perf street pad.

Dusty, yes. Noisy? Not really...just a little from time to time when coming to a complete stop and braking lightly.

Hawk HPS are great pads. I like them better than Endless SSM in fact.

From my research it seems that are the only decent choice for the stock calipers (price & performance being considered). On my Brembo'ed LGT I run Ferrodo DS2500, not available for stock LGT calipers unfortunately.

wow. you like the HPS better than the SS-M pads? Everyone else seems to love them. Why do you feel the HPS>SS-M? My HPS need replacement and I was considering the SS-M pads.

Been running axxis ults with my brembo swap. much cheaper the hawks and so far they've been great. only thing is lots or brake dust. as long as you wash the car once or twice a month you should be good. its not really a big deal for me.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

wow. you like the HPS better than the SS-M pads? Everyone else seems to love them. Why do you feel the HPS>SS-M? My HPS need replacement and I was considering the SS-M pads.

HPS are purely metallic pads, while SSM have some ceramic content. Yes, they stopped nice, very dust free, but left deposit just like stockers. I hated the vibration and despite frequent rebedding it never really was going away completely.

Lesson to me - I'll never ever touch any ceramic pads again - especially for that price.

Of course I love Ferrodos DS2500 in Brembo BBK much more.

HPS are purely metallic pads, while SSM have some ceramic content. Yes, they stopped nice, very dust free, but left deposit just like stockers. I hated the vibration and despite frequent rebedding it never really was going away completely.

Lesson to me - I'll never ever touch any ceramic pads again - especially for that price.

hehe after my SS-M are done I have a set of Hawk HPS waiting. The HPS are a better value for sure

Depends on formulation. All Carbotech pads are ceramic in nature, but they dont leave deposits unless you overheat them or mix them with something else.

Hawk HPS are a good step up from stock. If anything, get them so you wont have the oem pad deposit issue.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions for inexpensive pads / rotors?

I don't get a chance to drive my car very hard because of all of the traffic out here!

OEM. Buy them from Fred Beans. Cheap, durable, and they work well with most aftermarket pads.;)

I HATE the HPS pads I had put on Monday when I had my rotors resurfaced. They squeal horrendously bad at all braking speeds and pedal pressures. I'm really regretting the purchase at this point. Not only are they loud but there is far less bite than the stock pads when cold, about even once warm. In the 60 miles I have on them so far I'd say it was a complete waste of money. Although to be fair I haven't abused them to check out any difference in fade yet.

A buddy of mine bought a set of rotors from this place about 2000 miles ago: http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?&ad=direct They are quiet, bite very well, and look great doing it all while being cheap. (they throw in the pads for free!) I'd check out the dimpled+slotted set, that's what he got. They are also warrantied for life not to warp. (although I'm sure they will eventually)

^ Something is wrong with you setup. HPS is a great street pad. I run them in one of my LGTs with stock brakes. Silent and very surefooted. I am surprised how much I like them, given my other LGT has Brembos all around with Ferrodo DS2500.

^ Something is wrong with you setup. HPS is a great street pad. I run them in one of my LGTs with stock brakes. Silent and very surefooted. I am surprised how much I like them, given I my other LGT has Brembos all around with Ferrodo DS2500.

Agreed, there is something wrong with those HPS installed. I've installed 100s of sets of HPS and none of them squeel.

-mike

Agreed, there is something wrong with those HPS installed. I've installed 100s of sets of HPS and none of them squeel.

-mike

Well do you guys have any suggestions? Cause the squeal is absolutely out of control. My Subaru dealer tech put them on, and brake pads aren't exactly a tough install, so I fail to see how one could screw that up. :confused:

. . . when I brought them in a number of the tech's that passed by were like, "oh, you got the squealers." And they aren't your everyday tech's, they're active nasioc members and tuners themselves.

Shims could be causing a problem. Antisqueal grease improperly applied. Sliders may not have been greased. Pistons may not have been cleaned. May not have been bedded in properly.

I'd start with bedding them in. 65->5mph->65->5mph->65->5mph->65->5mph and then allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes. And we are talking HARD braking, into the ABS or at the threshold of ABS activation.

-mike

OEM. Buy them from Fred Beans. Cheap, durable, and they work well with most aftermarket pads.;)

Are these OEM prices right? They seem really expensive:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-941/Subaru-Legacy-GT-O.E.M./Detail

$129 / pair, so $260 just for OEM rotors ?!? Yikes.

Autozone is showing only the Duralast rotors, which go $85 for the fronts and $50 for the rears, so about 1/2 the price of the OEM.

Oddly, they don't show any compatible brake pads?

Archived