LegacyGT.com

2010 Pricing Information

JoeFromPA

What is it with being satisfied with mediocrity? do you figure it just couldn't possibly be better than mediocre?

...one would first have to believe that said product is mediocre. Believe it or not this is not a sentiment that all share.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but the running commentary, even completely ignoring mine altogether, is not that positive.

There are people upset about the Legacy's direction.

There are people upset with Impreza's design, and I note that it has been de-contented, and doesn't pick up where BL Legacy is leaving off, while '10 Legacy departs from that formula. Subaru isn't even mending their own holes in their lineup.

There are people not impressed that Forester, XT particularly does not receive the 5MT or 5EAT, but is still running the 4EAT. Forester is not competing with other small SUVs by offering a 6-cylinder option.

Tribeca has never really caught on, and Legacy/Outback, outback probably moreso, is encroaching on it's size, diminishing Tribeca's segment of Subaru's lineup.

So exactly where is Subaru doing it's best? If they aren't then there is an issue, and it sounds to me like being satisfied with mediocrity and copy-catism, and not even copy-catting other brands all that well, nor those other brands really being amazing and worth imitating to that degree.

Doing less than their best, and shunning their uniqueness and embracing an imitation strategy is mediocre at best. Not superior.

Sorry, but the running commentary, even completely ignoring mine altogether, is not that positive.

Let me guess... you are referring to the enthusiasts right? I'm sorry to bust your bubbles but that makes up all of maybe ~5% of sales when it comes to the legacy. And I really hope you aren't basing this off the 5 or so extremely vocal negative people that constantly continue to say the same things over and over again.

Do you have any hard facts that clearly states the mass general public is upset with the direction of Subaru? I haven't seen any. And a slump of sales in a bad economy won't count.

My .02 cents is that it seems a lot of people like to complain because they aren't use to something new and different. It's like the kid in the candy story who gets upset because his favorite m&m color or jelly bean flavor is no longer sold and refuses to try a different variation. :lol:

...not ignored, I simply don't have the time right now.

There are people upset about the Legacy's direction.

There are people upset with Impreza's design, and it has been de-contented, and doesn't pick up where BL Legacy is leaving off, while '10 Legacy departs from that formula.

...yeah, I've noticed that. Decontenting happens, it isn't just a Subaru phenomenon. I can't offer much inisght into the current Impreza other then it did eventually grow on me. However, other than size I'm not quite sure how the '10 is really such a deviation.

There are people not impressed that Forester, XT particularly does not receive the 5MT or 5EAT, but is still running the 4EAT. Forester is not competing with other small SUVs by offering a 6-cylinder option.

...I;m one those people, but I'm not bothered by the lack of the V6 option since only the RAV4 ,the only other competitor besides the CR-V that matters offers one.

Tribeca has never really caught on, and Legacy/Outback, outback probably moreso, is encroaching on it's size, diminishing Tribeca's segment of Subaru's lineup.

...The Tribeca needs more interior volume to be a viable options to a Highlander or Pilot. However, I believe this can be accomplished via more clever interior packaging as the exterior size in line w/it's class.

So exactly where is Subaru doing it's best? If they aren't then there is an issue, and it sounds to me like being satisfied with mediocrity and copy-catism, and not even copy-catting other brands all that well, nor those other brands really being amazing and worth imitating to that degree.

Doing less than their best, and shunning their uniqueness and embracing an imitation strategy is mediocre at best. Not superior.

...it appears that we're defining mediocrity differently in regards to Subaru. My take is this, the product line currently offered (which I believe is relatively unique) is generally very competitive to the class leaders or competitors. An example being that I'd take a STI over an Evo, Forester over a CR-V, and about 16-months ago a BL Legacy over a Camry SEV6.

No matter how you cut it, for the price the Legacy is too little car for 2010.

Just imagine for a moment if Subaru sold, say, WRX that didnt look like ass, and came with all the features of a 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring model, and offered a 5 speed auto and 6 speed manual.

Now that would be something worth drooling over. It would be the most exciting product under $35k hands down.

The new Legacy is going to fall off the grid fast, because it just isn't an interesting or exciting product. It will appear in one comparo on edmunds and never be heard from again. Sorta like a Malibu with its 30 seconds worth of buzz.

• 1 month later...

I've added pricing for the 2010 Legacy to TrueDelta's database. Comparing the 2009 and 2010 LGTs, the latter has a lower base price, but you have to go to the Limited and add a sunroof to make them truly comparable. Once you do that, the 2010 lists for over $2,000 more. Adjusting for feature differences narrows the gap by only about $200. Not promising.

OTOH, the price difference is only about $800 after adjusting for feature differences with the 3.0 R vs. 3.6 R. They're clearly pushing harder with the six now.

Run your own comparisons:

Car price comparisons

Archived