LegacyGT.com

Bone stock LGT at track day?

It's import day at Rock Falls in Wisconsin this Sunday. I have some friends that want to go just to watch. It's something like $30 to run your car a bunch of times on the 1/4.

My question is: should I bring my stock LGT on the track and have some fun?

Would it be too hard on my car?

I do a bit of spirited driving, but certainly don't beat on her. I'd like to go and have some fun, but I worry about the longevity of my car. It has 47K on it.

Do you guys think I should do it or is it a stupid idea?

It's a risk/reward issue. You may have to pay if you want to play. If this is your DD and you cannot risk any down time then don't do it. Of course you could baby the thing but then what's the point in going if your not gonna push the car to the limit. You could break your leg walking down the street or get VD from some strange but you do it anyway right? So maybe risk it. Are you panning on some mods in the future and need a base line for performance? Or is this just for fun? Glad i could clear this up for you...

Yeah, I am planning on future mods. My goal is stage 2 in the next year. This is my DD though, which is why I'm apprehensive.

I just went to the raceway's website and apparently they have these events pretty regularly. I'm thinking I might just go and watch this time, or I'll just go for it.

I'd actually love to take my bike instead, but I think that's a different day. I love my leggy too much to beat on her, but I've also always wanted to run a real 1/4 mile! I'm sooo conflicted.

As long as don't have real sticky tires you should be fine.

Drive around the water box, do you know how to pre-load the drivetrain ? You really don't want to give it 5500 to 6500 rpm and dump the clutch on the start line, it's more then likely to sticky.

Have you tried to launch the car on the street ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you will be disappointed in the stock 1/4 time

after stage 2 you may like the extra 1.5secs it shaves off, but is it worth the $ when it won't be close to as fast as your bike.

Bottom line: legacy is not a very fast car (even after stage II mods) it is mild. Competes with some V8 cars, loses most of the time to newer V8.

Like the mustang, corvette, firebird, camaro, and most luxury vehicles

stock lgt doesn't have enough power to hurt itself. Nothing bad will happen if you allow proper cooling between runs

X2 do it, do it, do it! Ok all kidding aside, track days are rewarding, especially your first one. Go out and have some fun.

You're not going to kill the car. Have you nevr pushed the car hard, ever? Don't dump the clutch at 5K and don't try and power shift and you'll be fine.

If you do decide to dump the clutch at a high RPM and power shift, take some videos. Maybe you can bust an axle quicker than that STI kid! Just kidding, that would be bad.

Yeah, I launch every now an then. I just remembered, I have that Progressive MYRATE thing hooked up in my car (it monitors my driving habits and supposedly can get me a discount on my next policy). I better unplug that stupid thing if I go. hahaha

I go to school in Murderapolis MN. Philly is home.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm gonna do it. I just hope I can break 15secs or I'm gonna feel like a total vag***.

Do a youtube search for sport compact drag racing. There's a video, I think it's "High HP Hondas", that has a good video of Felix Medina, in car, launching the car using the e-brake to pre-load. He also has his right thumb on the anti-lag button, you'll learn about that over time or when you have it in Cobb AP.

There are lots of videos that you can learn things from.

My wagon has gone 13.8's with AP stage 1 93 octane at Lebanon Valley NY.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Anti lag button? What what?

Or it's also called 2 step. You program the ECU to rev the engine to a certain RPM when you hold the button and floor the gas pedel with the clutch prushed in. At the same time the ECU cut's timing and the un-burned fuel lights off in the turbo. This allows the turbo to build boost. When the last yellow light comes on, on the tree, you release the clutch and button and line lock button or staging brake if your using that and the car launches. While the car is on the 2 step or anti-lag, your also sliping the clutch to pre-load the drive line. I'm told this all came from WRC, world rally competition.

If you watch most of the import drag racing video's on you tube you can see the flames shoot out of the down pipe as the car is staged. You'll hear a popping sound. I'll link one of my sons video's when I get home.

This is not our car but we'll be this fast when the car is done. Stephanie Eggum Single 7sec Pass video by 92Si - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid185.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/StephanieEggumSingle7secPass.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid185@@AMEPARAM@@185@@AMEPARAM@@x40/92Si/StephanieEggumSingle7secPass

Here's our car the yellow civic, 9.91 pass video by 92Si - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid185.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/BrianBallardCobaltVSRyanSmithYel-1.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid185@@AMEPARAM@@185@@AMEPARAM@@x40/92Si/BrianBallardCobaltVSRyanSmithYel-1

Go have fun and don't take it to seriously. Don't launch the car hard and it should be all good.

Now, if you were going to an actual track and not a strip, I was going to recommend some different brake pads. :lol:

u guys have entire days dedicated to drag racing?

most people i know around here dont use the term track day for drag racing.

we also dont have many drag strips and when they are open it's afternoon/nighttime only

car for sale. PM me!

Or it's also called 2 step.

Got ya, or as AP would call it, launch control.

I've never been able to have it work perfectly, I can get better launches by finding the right RPM and slipping the clutch a little then quickly letting it go (not dropping it), but even that is difficult to do repeatedly...

Archived