LegacyGT.com

Dissapointing 1/4 Mile Times

hjkim12

Well, i went to the track and did some 1/4 mile runs...i have to say im pretty dissapointed..I could only run 14.2s all day..sigh Based on a previous thread in regards to a dyno run a member did with a similar setup as me (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8721&page=3&pp=10), i thought I would at least have enough to run into the 13's, but I couldn't do it.. I think it was primarily due to my shifting..

Anyone have a good idea what the shift points should be? Oh well, ill just have to work on the shifting and see if there is anything i can do for my car..

It was fun regardless, I hope to see more Legacy's out there next time...i was the only one..hahahah

Yep, I'd have to agree! There is a thread somewhere in here regardging 1/4 mile times and if you are running stock then you did pretty good
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Well, i went to the track and did some 1/4 mile runs...i have to say im pretty dissapointed..I could only run 14.2s all day..sigh Based on a previous thread in regards to a dyno run a member did with a similar setup as me (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8721&page=3&pp=10), i thought I would at least have enough to run into the 13's, but I couldn't do it.. I think it was primarily due to my shifting..

Anyone have a good idea what the shift points should be? Oh well, ill just have to work on the shifting and see if there is anything i can do for my car..

It was fun regardless, I hope to see more Legacy's out there next time...i was the only one..hahahah

i think it's all about driver technique, not to say yours is bad. (i know i probably suck compared to most) The best i've seen posted is 13.9 at bone stock. and that guy probably really dropped it hard on the clutch and hit every gear just right. your only talking .3 secs. add sticker tires or a short throw shifter for quicker shifts. if you wanna really better your time spend $650-$800 for some engine management. stage 1 should get you 290hp/300 torque. 13's will be no problem....all day.

Umm guys:

"Based on a previous thread in regards to a dyno run a member did with a similar setup as me (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/show...21&page=3&pp=10)" That thread is titled, "AP Stage 2 (almost) dyno results "

hjkim12, post your timeslip information. Usually can help to pinpoint problem areas...

-B

Thats the thing, im not running stock..hahaha

Perrin Up Pipe (catless)

Perrin Down Pipe (catless)

AP stage 2

Borla CatBack

I should be running with about 260+hp at the wheels and 309tq at the wheels...sigh(this is based on powbmps dyno with similar setup)

I think my technique just stinks to high hell..hahhaah

Weather? This is HUGE in comparing times from one coast to the other. Density Altitude will play a big role in ET's. If the guy who ran 13.9's was at lets say minus 1K foot Density Altitude (not actual altitude) and he takes his car to a higher elevation track with weather parameters that do not favor power (low Barometer/high humidity/higher air temps) he wont run the same number. Look at how an intercooler can make power you cool the air and make the charge denser your gonna make more power. Of course driver is a big part of the equation as well wich brings me to Rao's question of the 60' time. Weather underground lists hour by hour weather parameters for many cities across the US. Plug them into a DA calculater.

60' time was 1.975

top speed was 97.75

1/4 Time: 14.234

Thats what i remember for now, once i get home i can get the slip..

Have no idea what the temperature was...on the track, and have no idea what the humidity and such was..sorry...

Off topic: Is there a track close to Seattle? What are the emissions checking out there like? Do they just plug in to OBD2 and scan or do they put the car on the tailpipe sniffer as well? Just curious in regards to one of my reasons for not moving there.

Also what was the DA (density altitude) on that run?

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

Also, post the entire run. What was your 60', what was your 1/4 MPH? etc. We can tell from it what is usually wrong.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

As said, to determine the relativity of your results it would help to have the timeslip (or all the numbers) as well as weather information, and the altitude of the track.

As far as that dyno chart, different dynos read differently, and that is the highest numbers I have seen for stage two. More commonly folks have been posting tq in the 275-280 range and hp in the 240s. Have you dyno'd your car?

Totally stock, I ran 14.3 w/ a 1.97 60' at around 95 mph in pretty good conditions (~60 deg @1200ft). You're mph is up on mine showing the HP difference, but I would expect 100+ mph for stage 2.

Yeah, ill post the slip when i get home, but as for temp and such, id have to research that info. As you said, I was expecting to be in the 100+ aswell as the 13s with a stage 2, but it wasn't happening. I need to dyno my car, but I don't know if where the closest AWD dyno is. Anyone have an idea?

Stage 2 and only 14.2s???? My car was the one that ran 13.9. That was a 6000rpm drop, and some serious clutch slippage in 2nd gear. My clutch got some massive abuse not to consider the tranny, and man the smell was like I lost 50% of my clutch. When I ran my car at the track with just using 4000rpm clutch slips and still stock, I ran 14.4's consistantly, so I was happy I was getting the same times the magazines got. Then when I did the up-pipe, and crank pulley, high flow intake, and turbo inlet hose, my times were consistant 14.2's. When I ran that number a lot of Subaru guys in town here were impressed, and then I found myself joining their car club. But for the life of the car, I doubt that the car would ever be able to run another 13.9 again stock, like a freak accident.

Now I have TMIC, up-pipe, turbo back catless, foam intake filter, turbo inlet hose, crank pulley, borla headers, and stage 2 tune.

I borrowed a freinds Gtech meter, and according to that I am now running 13.8's at 101mph. But I am dying to go to a track to run for verification, and I missed this last test and tune, and the next is 03/25/05.

You can't find the thread anymore cause the forum crashed a while back and lost all the data. I can't even try to launch my car with clutch slip into 4500rpms, cause now the clutch will just spin. My clutch is due to go soon, and can barely handle the power I am now running. I am bogging the car at 3500rpms, then just laying the power down. I have been looking for a stronger replacement clutch but as yet no one has one, which is real fustrating.

What are your track conditions? Some tracks just don't run good numbers. I found that the thing that gave the best times was all in the launch, the more aggressive the clutch drop and higher the rpms, the better you did. I am just really wondering what this tranny can handle. I was at first willing to do some tranny slamming and go ahead and try to break it, and then get it built or replace it with the 6 speed, but now I am looking for a new house to buy, and am scared of blowing the tranny. Before I was a lot more loose with the dinero! Another did run 13.9 with a MBC as rclark0032 said. I don't know If I got a better wendsday engine or something, but a lot of people have told me that they could not run my numbers, but then there were a few that ran almost identical to me. Also my friends vette runs 13.5s at the speedway, and when me and him race to 100 mph, I lead the way for the first 65 mph, then he passes me and gets to 100 about 4 car lengths ahead of me. So I know my car is pretty fast.

Don't worry, maybe you are not as willing as me to slam you car, cause I gotta admit I beat the crap out of this thing. I found out also when running hard, I burn about a half of quart of oil every 1500miles. When I drive it nicely just back and forth to work kind of thing, I don't burn any oil. I am curious to see what my car can do now, and with a clutch that can handle the power. I got the larger turbo on the way, and don't know what to do if there is no clutch in the next 4 weeks.

Finally don't worry to much, most Mustang GT's, which most people would say are fast, and for the most part are, run in the high 15's to the high 14's depending on mods. They weight the same, and they have 260 hp and 300lbs of torque, but I have yet to see one non modified make a low 14 second run. According to the mags, those are 13.8 vehicles, and my vette was supposed to be a 13.1, and the fastest I got on that was 13.6 at 107mph. I have the most fun beating mustang asses on the track, cause they get stunned by the Subaru.

Heh, i dumped my clutch at 5500-6k almost all the time except for one run, where I slipped it a bit.. I didn't get much, or at least did not smell any clutch slip. yeah not sure whats going on, I reset my ECU and reloaded the Stage 2 v1.01 just in case.

FYI, i raced a Mustang GT 05, on the last run, that guy was running a consistant 13.8 all day, and it's only 500 miles on it, bone stock..sigh..

yeah i need to dyno this thang and see where it stands for power.

Archived