LegacyGT.com

My Subaru Dealer Charged $89.95 for an alignment

2006Specb122

Just wanted to check around and see what the going rate was for alignments.

I was given a hand written quote months ago that the alignment would cost me $59.95 which I thought was reasonable. (Nobody can work for free.)

But when I dropped the car off today the quote was $89.95.

I made a fuss about it and told them I was quoted $59.95.

The best they could do was pull out a $10 off coupon for the alignment.

Does $89.95 seem high to anyone else?

I have also heard that if you check the alignment you can see if everything is WITHIN spec and if that is the case with my car they won't even put a single wrench to it.

I'm sure they would still chage me full price and hold the car in the back for a few minutes just so it wasn't obvious.

Also, should I get a breakdown of BEFORE and AFTER with ALL settings for alignment?

Is this normal or will I need to ask them for this when my car is done?

I think I remember having my last car aligned at a tire shop place and they gave me a full print out but that was years ago.

THANKS

I'd say depends on the neighborhood. When I lived in Nashville, the going rate for a four wheel alignment was $60, but then when the tire shop realized that only toe was adjustable in back, they knocked off $15 and called it "front alignment, rear thrust adjustment"

Here in Seattle, it seems like $85 is "cheap". I've only been here long enough to get one alignment, so I dunno for sure yet.

I did receive ONE print out... the final settings.

The sad part is I paid all that money and it didn't solve the slight right drift that the car has.

I was impressed at the thorough testing.

They tested before the alignment and actually noted my very slight drift to the right.

Then after the alignment they tested again and said the slight right drift was still present and noted that this was caused by the tires.

Tires are fresh and have been rotated every 5,000 miles like clock work.

Swap the front tires left to right, if the pull changes or goes away they are correct. If not, you may need to bias camber a bit to correct a drift since caster is not adjustable without changing bushings. What are your present camber readings for the front?

That is about right for the going rate for a 4 wheel alignment.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Hey Fang... thanks for the reply! I was hoping you would comment.

I just didn't realize alignments were so much money.

I'm not sure I fell I got my monies worth on the alignment.

I figured I was due... car is a 2006 and I have never done an alignment to date.

I though it would at least fix my slight drift to the right.

GTTUNER: thanks for the advice.

That would require REMOUNTING the tires to the opposite rims.

Something my tire shop should do on the next rotation/balance.

I wonder if they will charge too much for that???

My tires are of course directional so I can't just swap them from front to right.

But that is a great idea. If it starts taking me left or goes away it was definately the tires!!

As far as the specs go... I didn't get a sheet showing "PRE" alignment specs but attached should be a picture of the final results.

Feedback is appreciated.....

thanks everyone

alignment.thumb.jpg.55906077f9d4ffe9e589a98d013b8cd8.jpg

I've been buying tires from STS and taking the mounting, balance, alignment package. Every year they will do a free rotation and alignment check. If the alignment is off, I pay, however with the Legacy it seems to stay aligned for several years at a time.

I am about to try the Lifetime alignment deal at Firestone in Seattle. I've heard mixed reviews on them but since Kito Auto uses them in Ballard and they have some VERY modified machines come through...I'll give it a try.

Plus, I have a coupon for $99...can't beat that!

I am about to try the Lifetime alignment deal at Firestone in Seattle. I've heard mixed reviews on them but since Kito Auto uses them in Ballard and they have some VERY modified machines come through...I'll give it a try.

Plus, I have a coupon for $99...can't beat that!

where did you find that coupon?

I have also heard that if you check the alignment you can see if everything is WITHIN spec and if that is the case with my car they won't even put a single wrench to it.

Also, should I get a breakdown of BEFORE and AFTER with ALL settings for alignment?

An honest shop will give you a printout of before and after alignment specs. They will also let you know if it needs done or not to begin with.

That said, I've never gotten an alignment printout from the dealer, even when asking (we dont record that, we just fix it).. right. Before I had a modern car, I would use Big O Tires for alignments, and they always gave me the spec sheet.

A good relationship with a local tire shop goes a long way I've found the hard way.

The thing is most of the work is done setting everything up and reading the alignment. Also it takes nothing to make the printout look like the car is out of alignment as well. Half of these tire shops have oil change kids do their alignments and the sad thing is, they only know how to set the toe.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

OFF TOPIC:

FANG, without looking it up on google... do you know what the Z28 stands for in the camaro?

Chevy guys get pissed when I bring this up... :)

LOL

LOL.

Nothing. Unless you have another smartass answer I never heard of:lol:

FANG,

OK, so here is a little bit of trivia for you....

I used to own 3 mustangs. I am in love with the small fox body style from 87-93 with the 5.0L engine.

Amazing how things work. I have exactly have the engine size now and MORE power. :)

But I would always give the chevy guys a hard time with their camaro by asking them what the Z28 meant.

It means 5.0 :lol:

Back in the 60s when they first pulled out the name Z28 it was for a Chevy Camaro that had a 302... the engine code for that car was Z28.

The sales took off and they stuck with that name for the high performance version of the camaro to this day.... :)

So there you go.... Z28 means 5.0.....

LOL.

Nothing. Unless you have another smartass answer I never heard of:lol:

So yes it means nothing except for an RPO code. All Z28 was, was the RPO code.

Yes the 1st Gens had a 290 hp (very underrated) high revving 302. Here is a tidbit.

The Z28 code was the RPO code they used when the 67 Camaro was to be ordered with an engine that met the specs of the SCCA Racing. that engine had to have less then 305 Cubic Inches.

So Chevy took a 327 block, installed a 289 crank, and got a 302. This was used for both the 67 and 68 years. In 69, they had the TRUE 302 (DZ302) that they used.

The Z28 moniker was not planned on being displayed, until the huge success of the orders. So, in 68, they started calling the cars with that RPO a Z28.

Also, besides the engine, suspension and a few other items where cnaged as well.

Z28 was such a popular name, that it stuck to the end of the Camaro.

There was a displacement of 305 c.i. in the Trans Am Series and Chevrolet didn't have anything close to it. After playing with several configurations they decided to create a new engine. With that they mated mated the 4 inch bore block of the 327 with the 3 inch stroke crank of the 283. This brought the engine to just about the limit with something like a 302.5 cubic inch engine.

In terms of the name Z28, they were at a lost for a designation. The closest they came up with was a 302 special performance package. However, Chevy already assigned an RPO to what they called the Special Performance Package. The RPO Z27 had been assigned to the SS (but it didn't appear under that until '69). So this new option for the 302 was assigned the next number...Z28.

I told you not to use GOOGLE... your tidbit was right off the google page 1 search results!!!!

But thanks for the added details...

Now everyone here knows the true meaning of Z28.

So yes it means nothing except for an RPO code. All Z28 was, was the RPO code.

Yes the 1st Gens had a 290 hp (very underrated) high revving 302. Here is a tidbit.

The Z28 code was the RPO code they used when the 67 Camaro was to be ordered with an engine that met the specs of the SCCA Racing. that engine had to have less then 305 Cubic Inches.

So Chevy took a 327 block, installed a 289 crank, and got a 302. This was used for both the 67 and 68 years. In 69, they had the TRUE 302 (DZ302) that they used.

The Z28 moniker was not planned on being displayed, until the huge success of the orders. So, in 68, they started calling the cars with that RPO a Z28.

Also, besides the engine, suspension and a few other items where cnaged as well.

Z28 was such a popular name, that it stuck to the end of the Camaro.

There was a displacement of 305 c.i. in the Trans Am Series and Chevrolet didn't have anything close to it. After playing with several configurations they decided to create a new engine. With that they mated mated the 4 inch bore block of the 327 with the 3 inch stroke crank of the 283. This brought the engine to just about the limit with something like a 302.5 cubic inch engine.

In terms of the name Z28, they were at a lost for a designation. The closest they came up with was a 302 special performance package. However, Chevy already assigned an RPO to what they called the Special Performance Package. The RPO Z27 had been assigned to the SS (but it didn't appear under that until '69). So this new option for the 302 was assigned the next number...Z28.

Archived