LegacyGT.com

Tweed Upholstery, Good or Bad?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cloth is darker in the center section than the pic above. Kev, didn't you take a look at the 2.5i cloth seats in the Leg's on the Evanston lot? The sheen, AFAIK, is the cloth on the bolsters... it's not a "mouse-fur" cloth, it's actually looks like it's got some nylon content to it and is very tightly weaved. Should wear like iron.

[quote name='Austin2.5i'] To each is own, but I wouldn't recommend getting the Limited unless you just have to have a sunroof, and you like some of it's "near-lux" amenities (dual zone climate control, heated seats)[/quote] The big one for me is power seats, as my wife and I trade cars a lot. Not sure its worth 3k though. :-) One of the reasons I'm considering an OUtback -- you get power drivers seat w/ the XT, but not w/ base GT, unless I'm reading the specs wrong.' Oh yeah, and we thought we preferred cloth seats, mostly for bleeding heart reasons but it turns out that cloth is a PITA with animal hair -- something we didn't even think of. :|

[quote name='racerdave']The cloth is darker in the center section than the pic above. Kev, didn't you take a look at the 2.5i cloth seats in the Leg's on the Evanston lot?[/quote] I didn't, because I was still under the impression that the GT would get its own cloth. I'll have to have a closer look now. :oops: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='racerdave']The cloth is darker in the center section than the pic above. Kev, didn't you take a look at the 2.5i cloth seats in the Leg's on the Evanston lot?[/quote] I didn't, because I was still under the impression that the GT would get its own cloth. I'll have to have a closer look now. :oops: Kevin[/quote] I'll still need to see and touch it in person. I saw the 2.5i's cloth seats, and the color of the center section did not impress me.. Oh well, I imagine a Katzkin kit will be out pretty quick, if it's not the greatest. I can't really justify paying for the Limited package right now, even though it is very nice.

I too have seen the dealer brochure listing only one actual tweed cloth. This is a pic I took through the window which isn't the best representation as the glass reflection washes out the color. There is another color woven in the tweed, kind of a rusty/reddish/brown, minimal but apparent in person.

DSC02202.JPG.051731322e2b069a6c1b43dc82199f5a.JPG

Yep, that's it. Maybe the pic isn't the best because of the reflection, but that's it. Very boring, but not terribly offensive. It seems like they put the blend of colors in that center section to compliment just about every color they have... or att least attempted to do so.

[quote name='outahere']Any idea what an upholstery shop would charge to replace the center sections only on each seat, with fabric of another color? It has got to be a lot less than the Limited package![/quote] Maybe if you take the fabric off the seat and bring it to them, they can change just the center sections. Might as well get something embroided while you're there. I don't know how much it would cost, but I've looked into some aftermarket leather and they're around $7-800 for the whole car. [url]http://www.leatherseats.com/[/url] Actually, I like the fabric from my sister's Mazda3, the texture is much cleaner looking. So if changing the center section is less than $300, I might consider it as an intermediate before going to custom leather.

If they made a perfect product, there would be no room for improvement. Sort of like their probably reasoning for going without the H6 this year (will probably show next), and probably an STi Leggy the following year. Need something to improve upon. ;) The RS's changed after I think one, maybe 2 years. The improvement was big and great IMO. I can live with the tweed.

I'm not at all surprised that the bolsters are less aggressive than a WRX's. That fits the Legacy's target market, people who would get in the car, sit down and say "What's with these seats? They don't have any room." :lol: The voodoo is in designing a seat that has enough bolstering to be sporty, but not so much that people refuse to consider the car because the seats are uncomfortable. Kevin

I think VW did it right at least. I've yet to sit in a new GT though to give my final word. I can live with it if it's not what I want until I decide on something else, I'm sure there could be worse. The seat design is really my only questionable point on the whole car!

Archived