LegacyGT.com

Tweed Upholstery, Good or Bad?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still has to be better than the trim in my 97 Leg GT! I guess I'm alright considering that fact. If it holds up and keeps me in place, guess I've got no quams for the most part.

I've been trying to verify if the tweed in the 2.5i is the same as in the GT. I have seen the 2.5i tweed. If I remember correctly, it had a brownish-yellow color weaved in with the charcoal. It is a bit of an odd color choice because it doesn't really complement any of the exterior GT colors except maybe black (which goes with anything). I don't know how this will look in a Silver GT wagon (which I expect to order soon). The pattern and color didn't bother me as much the second time I saw it but I would still prefer that the GT got a pure charcoal cloth interior. I believe apexjapan also commented on the good and the bad of the GT cloth but I don't know if we get the same spec as Japan. It appears that all introductory training on the GT has been with cars in Limited trim so there have been no first-hand reports. Anybody see a cloth-trimmed GT yet? Tom

I had a gander at the brochure, which shows the 2.5i's tweed upholstery, and it's a very subtle two-tone, rather than the more garish two-tone I have seen in some of the other cars. I know that the GTs get different seats. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they will also get the more sedate tweed seats. I think it's worth a call to your friendly Subaru dealer, however. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't like it- that (and my wife wanting the sunroof option) is what made me change my order to the Limited.

[quote name='gtguy']I had a gander at the brochure, which shows the 2.5i's tweed upholstery, and it's a very subtle two-tone, rather than the more garish two-tone I have seen in some of the other cars. I know that the GTs get different seats. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they will also get the more sedate tweed seats. I think it's worth a call to your friendly Subaru dealer, however. Kevin[/quote] It's the lighting in the photo. I saw some 2.5i seats at a showroom and they are sort of garish. I was hoping for a more subtle blend. And although I haven't seen the GT cloth seats, the brochures only show one kind of tweed. I think the only difference is going to be in the bolstering.

My opinion is the same. However, the cost / benefit of the Limited is not there for me. So I'll likely go with the cloth and either live with it (who knows, I might like it) or do some reupholstery at a later date. Tom

Gee, do you think Subaru intentionally designed the cloth interior to be unattractive, so that we would all end up buying the Limited version with its leather interior, at a premium of $2200.

[img]http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/images/interior/LIB_interior.jpg[/img] If these are the seats, I'm going to be a very happy boy. I just like the way they look in this picture (from Subaru Australia). Kevin

A GT wagon 5-speed was just dropped off at my dealer. The tweed is the same across the Legacy range so there is no difference between the tweed in the GT and in the 2.5i. It might not be the prettiest cloth but it strikes me as almost indestructable...probably good given the ages of my two kids. I am torn between this very fine car or an AB Limited wagon 5-speed that is due to arrive any day. Color me, no pun intended, conflicted. Tom

While I don't think that center section looks the best, the cloth does indeed look indestructable. I think I can live with it. If not, a trip to the upholstery shop could fix it. I'd have to sit in a Ltd wagon, because I'm not sure about headroom. No such concerns for me in the standard GT.

[quote name='WRXTom']A GT wagon 5-speed was just dropped off at my dealer. The tweed is the same across the Legacy range so there is no difference between the tweed in the GT and in the 2.5i. It might not be the prettiest cloth but it strikes me as almost indestructable...probably good given the ages of my two kids. I am torn between this very fine car or an AB Limited wagon 5-speed that is due to arrive any day. Color me, no pun intended, conflicted. Tom[/quote] Tom, does it look like the cloth in the picture from Australia that I posted? Also, how different are the seats, bolstering-wise, from i to GT, that you could note? Kevin

Sorry, my camera was home so no pics. The tweed is a combination of light and dark brown and charcoal with a small pattern. There may have been other colors in there but I didn't look that closely. If you check out a 2.5i, which seem to be at most dealers by now, the tweed is identical. Kevin, it doesn't look anything like the pic from Australia which appears to be a lighter grey. I didn't sit in the 2.5i but, visually, the bolstering is more substantial on the GT. The bolstering on the seat back is not as aggressive as in my 02 WRX but it seems perfectly fine to me and should hold me in place just fine. I also noted that there is less front seat lateral leg room compared to a WRX due to the larger centre console (an issue that has been mentioned elsewhere). Not an issue for me (5'9', 31 inseam, 42 regular suit jacket). Tom

Thanks, Tom. What color was the car, BTW? Now I'm wondering if all the cars get the same color tweed seats? Hmmmm....this is the cloth, correct? [img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/leg0525igraycloth1.JPG[/img] Kevin[/img]

I'm not sure if that is the cloth or not as it is hard to tell from the resolution. Definitely similar but in your picture it appears that the pattern is diagonal but in the car it was a horizontal / vertical pattern. And I can't quite make out the colors but it appears to be the right shade. Might just be the picture though. The car was Silver, and very nice Silver I might add...deeper and richer than on the WRX. I'm not sure if it is the same tweed for all exterior colors but if I was a betting man I would say yes. I have seen the same tweed on a couple of different colors (silver and RB if I remember correctly) Tom

I sat in a 2.5i and I thought the cloth felt very nice (and indestructible as per previous post). The color of it didn't bother me, also. It seemed really high quality. The leather in the 2.5 Limited, on the other hand, felt pretty crappy. It looked good, but it's not soft at all to the touch, and almost feels like vinyl. To each is own, but I wouldn't recommend getting the Limited unless you just have to have a sunroof, and you like some of it's "near-lux" amenities (dual zone climate control, heated seats)

I sat in a 2.5i and I thought the cloth felt very nice (and indestructible as per previous post). The color of it didn't bother me, also. It seemed really high quality. The leather in the 2.5 Limited, on the other hand, felt pretty crappy. It looked good, but it's not soft at all to the touch, and almost feels like vinyl. To each is own, but I wouldn't recommend getting the Limited unless you just have to have a sunroof, and you like some of it's "near-lux" amenities (dual zone climate control, heated seats)

Archived