LegacyGT.com

Tweed Upholstery, Good or Bad?

[quote name='WRXTom']Same fabric in 2.5i and GT. I bought my GT wagon yesterday. Tom[/quote] Hey Tom, Congrats! Did you order it? Or did you buy it, as in drive off with it (or at least will very soon)? If you saw the GT Wagon in person, can you comment about the side bolstering in terms of 2.5i vs GT? Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bolstering is more pronounced on the GT. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the seats. One advantage of the cloth is that it should hold you in place more than the relatively slippery leather would. I actually bought it off the lot. By chance the dealer brought in what I was looking for (Silver, 5 speed, GT wagon). I don't pick it up until next Tuesday. I need time to get the parts off my WRX. Dammit! I have driven a 5 speed auto GT sedan (about 20 minutes) but have not driven a manual. This Gt only had 40 kms on the odo so it was fresh off the truck. I felt bad about winding it out...well, not really. It was the company car of the dealership owner. Once I break in the GT it should be an interesting comparison between the GT wagon and my WRX wagon with Cobb Stage 2, STi wagon suspension with upgraded wheels & tires. My initial reaction, keep in mind this is compared to the auto sedan I drove, is that my WRX has more top end acceleration, I suspect since the ECU remap holds boost better at higher RPMs, but is definitely weaker at lower RPM. The GT has much better driveability in traffic. I can get much better initial acceleration with the WRX than with the GT auto but that is mostly related to controlling launch RPM. The GT mid-range torque is excellent. The handling of the GT is more composed and mature, especially if you hit a rough patch mid-turn, but not quite as sharp on turn-in (could be the tires). The GT suspension is fantastic at soaking up imperfections. I think body roll is similar but it's hard to tell on a quick test drive. Compared to my stock WRX brakes...well, there is no comparison. Firm, linear, predictable. The GT steering is firm, direct and not too light. On slow, tight turns my WRX feels like a school bus in comparision. For me, the novelty of having a fast and good handling, but stiff and noisy car, has worn off. I am looking forward to driving a car that was initially designed to work as the sum of its, it seems very good, parts. I'll update with a quick comparison of the two wagons when I get some seat time with the GT. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']For me, the novelty of having a fast and good handling, but stiff and noisy car, has worn off. I am looking forward to driving a car that was initially designed to work as the sum of its, it seems very good, parts. Tom[/quote] Preach on, brother, preach on. Kevin

I'll be 39 later this year which I'm sure puts me way up on the Bell curve as far as age of WRX owners is concerned (just a notch below Kevin :) ). And, honestly, the fatigue associated with a 3.3 year old and 1.7 year old, not to mention two working parents (insert violins here), has made me a little grumpy lately. I stopped by the dealer on the way home to visit my car. It'll be ready tomorrow. Startin' to get excited! Tom

One of my buddies is 42 IIRC and just got his STi last May. He loves that car above all else! He's also loves his Initial D, and all the other cult stuff car enthusiasts love. :D He's a really cool guy. Does that blow the bell curve too?

I would be interesting to see a comparison of the ownership demographics of the WRX and the STi. The price tag of the STi likely shifts the curve somewhat to older owners. Based on sheer performance alone, I did think about the STi for a period of time but my family requirements make it impractical plus I prefer something a little less visually obvious. If I had the dough it would make a cool weekend car but so would an S2000. Tom

I think it's a good thing with STi's in general falling into the hands of more affluent drivers, drivers who do race on a regular basis and are generally a bit more towards middle aged (30+) as they have the money but moreso, the brains to have a better idea about being smart with one. For a daily driver I know an STi would be a handful for me, always wants to push. If all goes well financially, I may take a drivers school next year. Would be some of the best money I've ever spent, I can guarantee before going into that. Road America - Skip Barber the one Kevin (gtguy) did?

[quote name='WRXTom'] Based on sheer performance alone, I did think about the STi for a period of time but my family requirements make it impractical plus I prefer something a little less visually obvious. If I had the dough it would make a cool weekend car but so would an S2000. Tom[/quote] ^ My thoughts exactly. I actually entertained thoughts of purchasing an STi for a few months, but then I realized it wasn't practical enough to be my only set of wheels. It looks like the GT may strike the perfect balance for me.

Archived