LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the tool needed to tighten the retaining bands assuming I use OEM bands?

The tool is called a CV boot clamp banding tool. It looks like this. It actually took me a while to find one in my city. I was able to get one at checker auto parts. You can also get it from Sears but only available online :mad:.

• 4 weeks later...

Did mine last week, so far all is good.

My notes:

1. New boot is much "sturdier" than the original

2. Could NOT get the axle to separate from the hub. Even tried a FWD hub puller with no success. Eventually took the caliper off, removed the ABS sensor, and yanked the axle out with the hub/spindle attached. Not a major problem but good thing I was going after the inner boot only.

3. PN list is missing the retaining clip ( on cup ), reused mine since there is no actual stress on it. Just prevents the axle and bearings from slipping out easily.

4. Replace the oil seals on the tranny. They are $7 each and easy to R&R. I had a leak on the DS axle, of course NOT the side with the torn boot. Note the R and L sides are slightly different, I got the numbers from another thread.

GL, like mentioned it was not a major undertaking and WAAAAY cheaper than a new axle.

Just want to share my experience on this.

I hit a snag trying to get the axle to come off from the tranny. When I gave it a hard tug I pulled the axle and the bearings leaving the green cup in the tranny :eek: Weird thing is I was able to pull the cup out with my hand with no effort at all :confused: I obviously mangled the retaining clip so I spent a good hour bending it to shape. So if you are going to order the parts to get this job done, I suggest that you order PN 28333AG000 as you'll never know what will happen.

Another issue I had was with tightening the smaller band because there was not enough lead to wrap it in the tool :mad:. I ended up using pliers to pull the band and tightening it.

Other than those 2, everything went as described in this thread. I just hope my retaining clip would hold inside the cup.:redface:

When I gave it a hard tug I pulled the axle and the bearings leaving the green cup in the tranny

^If I recall, I never pulled the axle to get it off the tranny. Instead, I used a really fat flat head screw driver, placed it between the green cup and the tranny, then gently got the axle out using the screwdriver as a lever. This way, the axle 'simply' pops out off the tranny.

Another issue I had was with tightening the smaller band because there was not enough lead to wrap it in the tool :mad:. I ended up using pliers to pull the band and tightening it.

^I remember that I had to do the same thing you described. That kinna sucked.

just hope my retaining clip would hold inside the cup.:redface:
I think you will be fine, if that spring clip were actually holding the axle in place during operation it would be waaaay bigger/stronger.

I checked mine once installed, even with the suspension at the mechanical limit of travel there was a good 20-25mm of movement before the bearings made contact with the clip. My understanding is that it keeps the cup and bearings from falling off during maintenance only.

• 2 weeks later...
This part fit PERFECTLY and even has a heavier-duty boot!!!

Thanks for the link, I went ahead and ordered one from him. It looks like its $10 more now. Worth the money over replacing the boot IMO because I'm not sure how long the boot has been torn and wear on the bearings as consequence.

Thanks for the link, I went ahead and ordered one from him. It looks like its $10 more now. Worth the money over replacing the boot IMO because I'm not sure how long the boot has been torn and wear on the bearings as consequence.

I got mine from the same place. Had it installed a month ago and it's been fine.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Fun little note,

The bolt that clamps in my balljoint simply sheared where the threads start. Time for an easy-out or some such

Between that and the supremely galled sway bar end link, this hour job is quickly becoming a 3 hour one

• 2 weeks later...
The ebay link provided for the axle shows no longer available, anyone know where to find it now? I need one ASAP!!

Just got a complete cv axle with three year warranty from carquest for $82.50+$20.00 overnight shipping. great fitment. quite an easy job to change it out even with hand tools. helps to have a second pair of hands to hold the brake and turn the steering wheel to pull the old axle out of the hub.

Just got a complete cv axle with three year warranty from carquest for $82.50+$20.00 overnight shipping. great fitment. quite an easy job to change it out even with hand tools. helps to have a second pair of hands to hold the brake and turn the steering wheel to pull the old axle out of the hub.

Can you post the part number for reference?

• 1 month later...

This is a great write-up. I'm pretty fired up about not paying $270 to have the axle replaced at the shop.

A few questions -

Unstake the axle nut (you will see it is crimped) I used a screwdriver and my BFH) Killed two screwdrivers.

What does it mean to "Unstake the axle nut?" Why does this kill a screwdriver? Any pics of this? Something's crimped on there? What?

Was there any kind of retainer ring on the engine-side of the axle? There are references to it but it's not clear. Does the axle just pull out or are there addt'l steps/caution req'd with this part? (I'm in a '05 OBXT if it matters)

Just ordered this out of California, it's listed on Ebay but I went straight thru the company by phone & it was about $72 shipped total.

EDIT - I finished this & can vouch for the part below from http://www.carpartsdiscount.com - Toll Free: (888) 437-4272. It's totally new, not rebuilt, installed easily & works great so far. For $75 shipped I'm pretty happy.

http://images1.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/81609/700/1/P/47798280/cv_front_axle_shaft.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220567419137&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Edited by Boulderguy

What does it mean to "Unstake the axle nut?" Why does this kill a screwdriver? Any pics of this? Something's crimped on there? What?

^check this picture out: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Scorpion101/2702981902_fe14b05b62.jpg

You see how the nut is pinched? Well, you need to "undo that pinch" by using a screwdriver or chizel before you can loosen the nut. It may break your screwdriver head if it is a cheap one.

Was there any kind of retainer ring on the engine-side of the axle?

^I do not recall any kind of retainer ring that came out when I pulled mine out. However, if you look very carefully to the picture you attached to your post, there is a small ring on the edge of the axle (engine side--left side on your picture). That is the only 'ring' that I am aware of.

You should just be able to pull the axle out with a bit of force. When you put it back in, you will have to push a bit hard too until it snaps in the gearbox.

Hope that helps..

I got nuthin' on the first picture you posted, ain't showing up for me. You? The suspense is killing me...

I see the groove in the tranny-side of the axle, I'm assuming I can recycle any snap-ring that lives there from the OEM axle - unless this is just a generic axle pic it doesn't appear the new one comes with any retention rings. Will post my findings.

sorry man. I don't know why the link got posted this way. If you click on the title of the blank 'picture' (i.e. "Photobucket (videos)"), it will bring you to the link. :)

It should work. I clicked on it several times after I posted it.

If you've got an impact wrench, there's a good chance you can spare your screwdrivers: just blast away and the nut will probably uncrimp itself. Never realized this until recently, when I watched my favorite Subie mechanic do this so he could pull the rear axles and remove my rear diff. I was somewhat shocked at how ridiculously easy that was, as I have struggled mightily with this nut in the past.

Also, for those looking for cheap replacement axles, I got mine from MacAuto for $67 shipped:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/halfshaft-work-05-lgti-130785p2.html

They may be out of stock still, as I didn't see them on their website last time I looked. But you could call or email them to find out.

Edited by Scooter

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!