LegacyGT.com

2.5i or LGT

violhence

Money is really a big issue for me. Honestly, the LGT is way too much for my need. I'm in college right now, compare this Legacy 2.5i to my previous car (an impreza 2.5rs), man, I'm way too happy, I have ltd edition, so it is fully leather, heated seat... which are just very nice for me already. The LGT just has more HP... which I dont really need in my everyday driving routine (inside Boston)... Also, the Legacy 2.5i cornering characteristic is way more superior than the impreza 2.5rs...The car looks sharp, somehow, the suspension looks nice and low...

Back to the money issue, the cost to fix(and maintain) the 2.5i is more affordable than the LGT due to its turbo charged. The 2.5i engine is more durable (not everyone know how to drive turbo charged car-like me :eek:), the gas, the insurrance... (once again, I'm just a college student) :redface:

For those who can get cheap insurrance in Boston, I'm very pleased if you can introduce to me that place... :confused:

Again, if money is not a big issue, and you know how to handle a turbo charged car (well)... LGT is a cool car to drive, but i rather recommend you to get impreza WRX(or STI if you can afford it) since these 2 cars have more sporty characteristic(more fun) to drive. If you are a broke ass like me, go get 2.5i and you will love it:lol:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive it because I can't lease anything cheaper except for standard impreza but that is too small with a newborn and a 3.5 year old. My driving experience from the GT to my 2.5 SE is really no different maybe the fact that I have a Mach 1 Mustang to go fast in helps but the 2.5 SE is quite the package for the price.

the lgt and limited 2.5i have a stereo/climate control electronically intertwined, so new new head unit cannot be swapped in without an expensive upgrade, unlike the 2.5i standard

Is it possible to do the swap of a HU without the cubby non-sense, there has to be a way of powering the Climate Controls w/o that junk HU.

If not..Could you swap a PREMIUM H&K Setup from an 08 into an 05 LGT?

there was a vendor on here that had modified and rewired the limited stereo's to accept single and double din.

iirc it was 800 for single din universal. 900 for custom single din(you provide stero and they build around it. 1000 for universal double din and 1100 for custom. think they were based out of colorado

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

How much does the 2.5i Legacy Wagon suspension differ from the 2.5 Legacy GT Wagon?

I test drove a 2.5i Wagon and it was like a water bed :-(

I really hope that the LGT Wagon has stiffer more useful suspension

Refering back to the OP, not many people whine about their 2.5i being slow. We respect the following:

- rarity

- styling

- comfort

- practicality

- gas mileage

- reliability

- ADEQUATE power (I get giggles from cornering, not power)

- decent handling in stock form (compared to others in the same class), with aftermarket support to upgrade

If you bought a 2.5i and whine about the power, then you bought the wrong car. Either appreciate the good side it has or you should've bought an old domestic with some more POWER and try not to wrap yourself around a tree in the mountain twisties.../rant

Refering back to the OP, not many people whine about their 2.5i being slow. We respect the following:

- rarity

- styling

- comfort

- practicality

- gas mileage

- reliability

- decent handling in stock form (compared to others in the same class), with aftermarket support to upgrade

If you bought a 2.5i and whine about the power, then you bought the wrong car. Either appreciate the good side it has or you should've bought an old domestic with some more POWER and try not to wrap yourself around a tree in the mountain twisties.../rant

ditto. i have an lgt and a 2.5i and love driving both.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

- rarity

- styling

- comfort

- practicality

- gas mileage

- reliability

All great points. I've been a big supporter of the 2.5i on here -- since I have two '08s with that engine -- but I will say that the Legacy seems to struggle a bit with anything more than two passengers or with a loaded trunk. I love the car for around town or with just my wife in the passenger seat, but I think a long trip with four people and/or a trunk full of suitcases might be annoying because of the lack of power. Has anyone done the long trip thing with their 2.5?

I personally wouldn't hesitate to get 2.5i Legacy, they're very sharp cars. Hell, other than the scoop, there's no visual difference whatsoever. I see lots of them running around and they look just as good as the LGT's. What made me decide on the LGT is simply my irrational love of acceleration. Honestly, I sometimes wish I would have just got an "i" for the mere fact that I wouldn't torture myself over not having the cash to "mod" it to be faster, etc. etc. I'd have just lowered it, got some nice wheels, tinted the windows and put in a real system and called it good. Plus I wouldn't have the constant question in my mind of "When is this thing going to blow up?"

I bought my 2.5i because I thought about it this way:

You want to upgrade your cars; You always want the next car you buy to be better than the one you have now. You never want go to backwards...

I'm only in my 20's so that after my '95 Corolla, (110hp) I now have my 2.5i (170hp)... then maybe next I will get something in the 200's.

Or maybe when my 2.5i gets older I will just swap out the engine for a stock STi engine ;)

All great points. I've been a big supporter of the 2.5i on here -- since I have two '08s with that engine -- but I will say that the Legacy seems to struggle a bit with anything more than two passengers or with a loaded trunk. I love the car for around town or with just my wife in the passenger seat, but I think a long trip with four people and/or a trunk full of suitcases might be annoying because of the lack of power. Has anyone done the long trip thing with their 2.5?

I did, 1300 miles...

Heavy loaded with suitcases and 2 ppl... I must say on the straight road, I was just fine but not on the hill climbing... :rolleyes:, usually shifted to 3rd gear (i'm drivng an auto) to make it easier to climb (ofc I'm talking about fully loaded with weight)

I often make short trip 3 hours driving with 5 ppl in my 2.5i, seem no problem:cool:

The fact is, hey, it's better than i drove my friend toyota corolla or a honda civic... U dont just compare LGT and 2.5i... they are one DOHC FI and one SOHC NA, duh! :eek:

I bought my 2.5i because I thought about it this way:

You want to upgrade your cars; You always want the next car you buy to be better than the one you have now. You never want go to backwards...

I'm only in my 20's so that after my '95 Corolla, (110hp) I now have my 2.5i (170hp)... then maybe next I will get something in the 200's.

Or maybe when my 2.5i gets older I will just swap out the engine for a stock STi engine ;)

Exactly, at my age I feel accomplished driving a 2.5i. Its sooo hawt :wub:, much hotter than many cars I see on the road. Much hotter than our competition...the ricer Honda Civic's haha. Technically this is my first car, but I drove my dad's 2001 V8 2WD Dodge Ram for a little while. I was so glad to get into the 2.5i after the truck, it was complete madness when it rained.

I was completely happy with the 2.5i until I joined the LGT forums haha. Its all good though, I have plenty of time to get a LGT or STi, definitely not planning on getting married anytime soon.

Because Subaru hasn't offered many variations on the Legacy (I assume to keep costs down), you get a lot of additional features without spending additional money. For example, in the SE and Limited, you get the same suspension, moonroof and HK sound system as the LGT, although not the same brakes. In the Limited, you get the same interior amenities and electronics, including leather, as the LGT or 3.0 (although not the sport seats in the LGT). On all cars, you get essentially the same exterior look, except for the hood scoop and the wheel variations. And while I know there has been a lot of debate about the Yokohamas on the later models, I'm still amazed that a car costing me less than $23,000 came with high-performance tires that cost $185 each.

I think it's great that you can still get a car with a lot of features for less money even if you don't want a larger engine. It'll be interesting to see if this changes as Subaru goes to more of an a la carte option menu for 2010. Does anyone know if 2010 pricing has been announced yet?

Because Subaru hasn't offered many variations on the Legacy (I assume to keep costs down), you get a lot of additional features without spending additional money. For example, in the SE and Limited, you get the same suspension, moonroof and HK sound system as the LGT, although not the same brakes. In the Limited, you get the same interior amenities and electronics, including leather, as the LGT or 3.0 (although not the sport seats in the LGT). On all cars, you get essentially the same exterior look, except for the hood scoop and the wheel variations. And while I know there has been a lot of debate about the Yokohamas on the later models, I'm still amazed that a car costing me less than $23,000 came with high-performance tires that cost $185 each.

I think it's great that you can still get a car with a lot of features for less money even if you don't want a larger engine. It'll be interesting to see if this changes as Subaru goes to more of an a la carte option menu for 2010. Does anyone know if 2010 pricing has been announced yet?

Starting at $19k, not bad huh!?

I like the new interior design, more roomy, the sportier seat, odometer (in blue led), ... just not have any $ to trade... haha

^ laaaaaame.

I bought my 2.5i on Christmas Eve JUST to drive in the snowy northern weather. And, after it's first winter. I'm glad I bought the 2.5 for 100 reasons, snow not even being one of them. Besides, can't beat 34 mph highway :)...Especially when the first hurricane hits this year and gas goes back to 5.00 / gal

Oh, yeah and it was FREAKIN awesome in the snow!

^ laaaaaame.

I bought my 2.5i on Christmas Eve JUST to drive in the snowy northern weather. And, after it's first winter. I'm glad I bought the 2.5 for 100 reasons, snow not even being one of them. Besides, can't beat 34 mph highway :)...Especially when the first hurricane hits this year and gas goes back to 5.00 / gal

Oh, yeah and it was FREAKIN awesome in the snow!

Yaa when we got our one and only ice storm this past winter, the car performed really well on the roads, which were covered in ice. I was getting plenty of traction, even with my all-season tires. The only thing that scared me was trying to stop. The car would just slide and I would get that violent vibration in the brake pedal.

We get frequent flash flood situations around here (when it rains it pours), so the AWD really comes in handy. Before I had my Legacy, I couldn't stand driving in the rain. Now, it doesn't even phase me because the Legacy handles so well and feels like its glued to the road.

Dang, I have the same dilemma 2.5i or GT. So far what I found in NY, I can get a 2009 2.5i SE for about $15-18k and a 05-07 GT in that range as well. I was dead set on the GT til I started reading about that blasted banjo bolt screen filter problem.

How reliable is the GT? I am looking for a DD (already have a go fast toy), would prefer to aim for ~$13k, 05+... seeing the 2.5i's with under 45k miles in that range which is sort of what I was aiming for. But I have seen a couple GT's with 60k or so, not far off. Comparing 30k mile 2.5i to GT the price difference just does not make sense for my dd.

^^Depends on how many miles you plan to drive during your daily commute. If you drive a lot, I would suggest getting a 2.5i. I already have 57k miles on my 06 2.5i which I bought used in March of 2008 with 24k miles. I drive everywhere in this car. I didn't want to get a performance-oriented car and rack up a ton of mileage on it like i have with my 2.5i.

Archived