LegacyGT.com

2.5i or LGT

violhence

Naturally aspirated cars tend to have a longer engine lifetime than cars with a turbocharger, I believe. Having a turbocharger puts more wear into the engine due to higher compression.

That's a myth. Plenty of oil analyses prove that the turbo Boxer wears at the same rate as NA engines.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Driven equaly this is true, however, trubo motors tend to be driven more spiritedly than the NA couterpart, so that would cause the turbo moter to wear more quickly. Engine life is based on many variables.

You are right but if you are going to throw in the aggressive driver in the mix, then I would counter your argument with saying the NA guys are more likely to drive aggressive because they feel like they have to prove something to the GT guys.

So both your point and mine are pretty baseless ;) and you have to keep a fair comparison. The difference is into the fact that the NA will be happy on regular gas and dino oil, while the turbo requires premium gas and synthetic does much better also. My tuned turbo Boxer with a slight fuel dillution problem, even driven like I stole it here and there, was still in line on the wear metals as NA cars babied around town.

So again, the statement that turbo cars will not live as long as NA cars is not accurate by itself. If you want to make it an accurate statement, you have to throw in conditional statements like "more likely to be raced", etc etc.

The majority of Legacy GT drivers I see in Nebraska are older people. I somehow doubt these folks are racing their engines around.

You are right but if you are going to throw in the aggressive driver in the mix, then I would counter your argument with saying the NA guys are more likely to drive aggressive because they feel like they have to prove something to the GT guys.

I would think the N/A guys might be more aggressive because of a lack of power.

That is also true. I putz around town at 20% throttle at most. Push more and over nine thousand pounds-foot of torque hammer my kidneys.

Gas mileage is another plus in favor of the NA. If I really push it, I can challenge the 6-litre GTO drivers' economy of a stellar 17mpg, and I'm still considerably slower :D Teh suk.

And while I know there has been a lot of debate about the Yokohamas on the later models, I'm still amazed that a car costing me less than $23,000 came with high-performance tires that cost $185 each.

def the A82 is a ridiculous OE tire, it's crazy grippy imo; it's a shame it's only 205 but i love them.

and i really like my 2.5i, i'm happy with the power output as my DD; i use it for nothing else so i have no use for excess power even though i respect what the LGT can do (esp stage 2 and up). but diff needs for diff people.

though on the topic of gas mileage, i live in boston so it's very stop/go; my gas mileage is terrible, i get about 17mpg in the city without driving aggressively so it's really not THAT big of a difference between the LGT, plus i've seen guys get good mpg in the LGT with a tune

Archived