LegacyGT.com

2.5i or LGT

violhence

i love both my 05LGT and my 092.5i. the only thing i dont like is the 4EAT on it.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whaaaaa? I don't understand...

VTD and LSD are both connected to the AWD system... and 5EAT, well, you can get 2.5i's in 5EAT, so that's not a reason by itself.

So you actually just have one reason for getting the LGT... the better AWD system.

so you can get the 5 speed auto on a 2.5i. i though that that trans was lgt specific along with the steering wheel shift controls. interesting.

and having come from a 2.5i, to an lgt, i can say that for me, the extra horses were very eye opening. it's really like driving 2 totally different cars. 1 thing i really miss about the 2.5i was being able to change headunits for the audio system.

Whaaaaa? I don't understand...

VTD and LSD are both connected to the AWD system... and 5EAT, well, you can get 2.5i's in 5EAT, so that's not a reason by itself.

So you actually just have one reason for getting the LGT... the better AWD system.

I thought only GT's come with rear LSD's + the 5EAT vs. the 2.5i's open diff rear + 4EAT. I'm ready to stand corrected.

Update: Dark, I *kinda* see what you're getting at. So yeah, we're both in some agreement, but just phrased differently. But I remember seeing that the 2.5i's auto is of the 4EAT variant and not the 5EAT kind. Dunno-- maybe someone else could clarify for us.

If you are considering buying a new (08 or 09) 2.5i or gt, you need to consider the massive problems subaru is having with 08-09 2.5 turbo engines. Google "subaru engine failures" and "subaru stop sale directive". If you purchase a turbo right now, you may have MAJOR problems. I love my LGT, but it has been a major P.I.T.A.!

+456

Anyway the 2.5i still has enough power for me to pass most people I wanna pass anyway... and being in CT, I don't hit the track. So really no point to having a lot of power, other than being able to tell other people "Hey, i have a lot of power".

+1

I wanted the 2.5i for practicality, too, plus there's no place to really use LGT power on my driving routes. But I understand the desire for an LGT and probably would have bought one if it was my only car. I bought the 2.5i when I thought gas was heading up in price and I didn't want to pay for premium with the LGT. When it hits $4 a gallon again, I'd rather be using regular gas. BTW, I don't believe you can get anything but the four-speed automatic in non-turbo 2.5is. The four-speed is kind of antiquated and Subaru could do better in the transmission dept. I see they'll be switching to a CVT in 2010 and regular gas will be offered in the six. And did I misread the specs or is there NO automatic available in the '10 LGT?

Update: Dark, I *kinda* see what you're getting at. So yeah, we're both in some agreement, but just phrased differently. But I remember seeing that the 2.5i's auto is of the 4EAT variant and not the 5EAT kind. Dunno-- maybe someone else could clarify for us.

I just wanted to decrease your "three" reasons to one :lol:

I'm not sure about the automatic transmissions since I drive manual, but if so, then your 5EAT would be a reason; I didn't know that was what you were getting at.

so you can get the 5 speed auto on a 2.5i. i though that that trans was lgt specific along with the steering wheel shift controls. interesting.

and having come from a 2.5i, to an lgt, i can say that for me, the extra horses were very eye opening. it's really like driving 2 totally different cars. 1 thing i really miss about the 2.5i was being able to change headunits for the audio system.

Maybe I lied and/or was confused :spin: haha...

I know the LGT drives like a whole other animal... some days I regret I didn't get a used 05 LGT. But my baby is what it is now and I'm not gonna abandon her! :wub:

What, you can't put an aftermarket stereo in an LGT?

BTW, I don't believe you can get anything but the four-speed automatic in non-turbo 2.5is.

5MT is also available. I believe it is upgraded to a 6MT in 2010.

What, you can't put an aftermarket stereo in an LGT?

the lgt and limited 2.5i have a stereo/climate control electronically intertwined, so new new head unit cannot be swapped in without an expensive upgrade, unlike the 2.5i standard

2.5i=4eat or 5mt

2.5gt=5eat or 5mt

specb=6mt

2010 LGT=6mt

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have a GT :rolleyes: but hey, being practical as ppl always do.

I am 23 years old, couldnt afford driving a car till i was 21, u all know what that mean right? Insurance more than 5k a year if i switch to GT.

Secondly, I live in Boston, where I spend at least 1 hour everyday in the traffic jam (Storrow drive) :redface:. Tell me pls, where can I show off my "GT turbo" power?

Thirdly, premium gas is such a rip off when gas price will soon hitting $4/g in summer :eek: (while regular is such a rip off already)

Those are my personal problems. If u have a big bang of bucks, then KABOOM, go for GT, no problem dude, nothing to regret. :)

For those folks, who said the legacy is very slow (or slow);). What do you want to do on the street? Racing?:confused: Still, my friend has a GT, i drove and personally didnt feel much different below 4, 5k rpm. (trust me, u dont want to get more than 5k rpm in Boston traffic :redface:). I rather use the term "completely different car" for impreza 2.5i and impreza STI.

I love my 2.5i limited. if I'm not intending to bring it to track racing, it's fast enough for my driving routine (style also), it's save my budgets (insurrance + gas. Dude, I need some $ to hang out at night too, or doing my laundry:spin:), it's quiet and very comfortable ride(if u plan to get married and have baby?). N/A last way longer than turbo charged(if I'm not wrong), I'm looking for long term car. Well, I'd like to have a high performance car too(never say I dont want GT), like a guy always want a pretty girlfriend but hey, watch out for some side effects and being practical is good, isnt it?

Secondly, I live in Boston, where I spend at least 1 hour everyday in the traffic jam (Storrow drive) :redface:. Tell me pls, where can I show off my "GT turbo" power?

Thirdly, premium gas is such a rip off when gas price will soon hitting $4/g in summer :eek: (while regular is such a rip off already)

You never leave the city? Mass has some nice driving roads out west. :) And you don't have to 'show off' your turbo power to anyone but yourself. There's a smile on my face every time I drive my LGT (and now spec B).

Premium gas is a rip off? Premium has stayed typically ~20-25 cents more than regular no matter what price gas is. So if it's $1.35 for regular, it's $1.55 for premium. If it's $4.00 for regular, it's $4.20 for premium. The higher gas prices get, the lower the percentage more premium fuel is. If you do the math (it's been done on here many many times), it turns out to roughly $3.00 extra per tank. And if you fill up once per week, that $3 is well spent in my opinion.

As for the insurance, nothing I can do to help you there, except to tell you to shop around. $5k a year is ridiculous.

^^^ Yea... I pay 1k/yr for 500k/1m/500k coverage.... I'm 23 as well... 5k is the state guaranteed insurance rates if you wreck a car every time you drive or you've killed pedestrians recently with your car....

Ok I started with an 05 2.5i a few years back and I had it done pretty nice. BUT I got tired of not having the LGT for the simple fact my 2.5i would never be in the same class of car. I too however couldnt afford it at the time and when I wrecked my 2.5i I still couldnt afford it because they raised the prices so I got my 07 civic si. well I built my si up and won show after show and made 2 magazines and decided it was time to move on and I looked at the LGT and finally I got what i wanted. nothing gives me more pleasure than knowing that I have the power there that I want. now I will say that my civic was a better highway warrior but i'm hoping some suspension mods will change that.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

insurance for my lgt, 2.5i, charger r/t, house and apt is 2000 a year to include my wife and the fact i have a german shepard. 5k is outrages

insurance for my lgt, 2.5i, charger r/t, house and apt is 2000 a year to include my wife and the fact i have a german shepard. 5k is outrages

I know it is outrages. But guess what, I'm not people here. I'm international! My driving year is less than 2 years. Having a 1 way insurance with Commerce Company right now, no joke 2.1k/year. I've talked to them about if I get a new LGT, 2 ways insurance, they said around 5k. I ask 3 place. 1 in Dor, 1 in Somerville, one in Stoneham.... no jokking :eek: (I'm a working student, my budget is very limited :icon_frow)

I dont think premium is more than 25cents instead only "Plus", I pumped premium sometime with detergent to clean my car tank (at SheLL), usually cost 45-50 cents more. (This mind not a very big deal, the insurrance is)

Well, my driving routine is pretty much Storrow drive everyday. I know there is big street on 95 but I hardly go there, may be 2, 3 time per month. You know the street where the "Honda of Boston" located? (forgot what its name) I drive on that twice per day... So glad I never buy a good car, there are lot of holeeees ... Plus I park my car everynight outside Dorchester, ppl hit and run alot... I dont feel like buying a good car :mad:.. +crazy traffic everyday.

I didnt mean to show off the Leggy turbo, but I was trying to make the point, it is worthless to buy a nice turbo car (and I have to pay some more) to get it into traffic jam everday. The 2.5i is too good for me, even the honda fit is fine enough for my driving routine. I didnt get it cuz that thing wont run in winter as well as the leggy...

If anyone having same situation as me .... consider seriously ...

god i hated driving in boston. worked/lived in quincy for 3 years. moved to canton and insurance went down 300. and to reinterate i lov emy 05lgt and 09 2.5i(except the 4eat part)

....when I wrecked my 2.5i I still couldnt afford it because they raised the prices so I got my 07 civic si. well I built my si up and won show after show and made 2 magazines...

So you totalled a car in the last three years AND blow every paycheck modifying a base economy car... not only will you be paying a lot in insurance, you don't seem to have much common sense!!!!

You shoulda just bought an LGT with a 6 yr loan and kept it bone stock. You can't even afford the car and you're already thinking of suspension mods??? Gimme a break. Sorry to rag on you man, but, as GOB from Arrested Developent would say, "COMEON!!!"

god i hated driving in boston. worked/lived in quincy for 3 years. moved to canton and insurance went down 300. and to reinterate i lov emy 05lgt and 09 2.5i(except the 4eat part)

I want to move too but since i have to drive to fenway everyday for college, it kinda suck :spin:

Everyone who is driving in Boston certainly know what I am talking about :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I originally had an '05 OBP 2.5i. I like it, but I bought it knowing I wanted a GT. After owning it for a little over a year I traded it in and got the SpecB. Looking back I personally wouldn't have gotten the N/A......but that is me.

I don't know all this talk about expensive insurance with a GT. Anyone else have this problem? My insuance went up a few bucks when I got the GT. Get a quote for an STI or Evo and then come back and tell me that the GT is expensive to insure :lol: Just sayin :)

The way I see it-- in a GT, I have the option of driving it like a 2.5i by being easy on the gas. But I have the option up slamming myself into the back of my seat as well.

My GT's insurance is only a few dollars more than my 2001 Honda Accord.

I drove a 05 GT sedan with a stick for three years with a short throw shifter, my wife had a 05 GT wagon with stick before the B9, and now I have been driving an 08 2.5 Special Edition with a stick so I have some experience with both models. If money wasn't a concern it's a no brainer go with the GT, but if you have a tight budget or want to be more frugal I vote for the 2.5i. For me with it being a stick shift it is still very entertaining to drive...it handles well enough, brakes are pretty good, and engine is pretty torquey. It is nice getting about 30mpg on the highway and running regular gas isn't bad either. Styling difference is not noticeable to non Subaru guys so it doesn't have the low rent look that many other brands do.

of course this will be biased due to the website being legacygt.com and all. I love my 2.5i, its my first car, just wanted something reliable to get me to work and school. Sure its not as powerful as other cars, but its economical and safe. I think if I had a GT I would probably be dead by now :lol: I knew what a GT was when I bought my 2.5i, but I had no interest in it. I didn't really care what kinda engine it had as long as it looked good and i could put a sound system in it.

I can honestly say that there are very few cars I would choose over the Legacy. I love the styling of these cars, can't say that for hardly any other car on the road. I don't see how anyone can compare this to a Camry. Its absolutely beautiful. Plus its so rare in this part of the state, which I love. I am always getting compliments from random people who love my Legacy and from people who have never seen one before. Its awesome.

Archived