LegacyGT.com

That frickin engine bay!

:lol:

I am content with the information I have. If you aren't convinced, then you set up an experiment. You will need a basic understanding of physics and heat transfer though.

I don't feel compelled to quantify the benefit because Subaru engineers have already done that, otherwise they wouldn't have spent a single extra penny to put it into production.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

I am content with the information I have. If you aren't convinced, then you set up an experiment. You will need a basic understanding of physics and heat transfer though.

I don't feel compelled to quantify the benefit because Subaru engineers have already done that, otherwise they wouldn't have spent a single extra penny to put it into production.

Your faith in subaru is overpowering lol

I datalogged my car after i installed my perrin tmic with and without engine cover (because i had to trim it to fit). I did see a difference in IAT on the Cobb AP which is why i did trim the cover to fit. I can probably dig up those logs if you really need to feel better about this.
Yup...

:lol: There was a difference with and without... but I will concede that there are too many factors in play to place blame solely on the engine cover. I'm still siding with Underdog on this issue though. It does force more air through the intercooler. There is a significant gap without the cover. I didn't notice any butt-dyno power differences though. :rolleyes:
Yup...

Someone pointed out above that everything has cost.

There is NO way Subaru would have spent the money on a part to go under our hood like that if there was no benefit. If taking it out was an improvement, I assure you Subaru wouldn't be installing them and saving the money.

All the high HP Subaru's I see with no cover are all FMIC. So if you want to get rid of the cover, get a FMIC.

Nobody is saying taking it out makes an improvment, but what im saying is does it make a difference? Alot of cars come with engine covers these days and guess what they dont have intercoolers and they serve no purpose but to make the engine bay look cleaner.

The benefit is in the marketing - it makes the engine bay look like more expensive cars.

There must be some benifit...my wife's 09 FXT has a ridiculous 3-4" rubber/plastic extension from the scoop into the engine cover.

This is why i like old cars better. The bonnet line is low, and the splitter moulds directly to the IC like it should. I HATE and engine bay with useless crap in it.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/GTBs%20Back/enginebay.jpg

I also hate the BP/BL turbo/IC/intake manifold setup, if i ever got one, i'd take that shit out and stick the STi ones in.

Archived