LegacyGT.com

can some body try this.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what do you do for work that you'd be 3000 miles away on an install?

I'm an engineering tech, I install moulds that make wind turbine blades .. I am currently in south dakota . then go home for a week then to denmark. I like to do as much resherch while im stuck in hotel rooms .. and when i get home i go to town on the car .

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Holy crap. A bunch of uneducated folks when it comes to cars, the lot of you.

I feel sorry for the OP since he asked a reasonable question, asked if anyone was willing to try it, and was attacked for the possibility of damaging other people's cars.

Umm, if you aren't capable of unplugging a switch and reattaching it later, then you have NO BUSINESS working on your own car and you can simply ignore the thread since you obviously aren't capable of the experiment.

If I were about 500 miles closer to my car, I would be willing to give it a shot.

Sorry, OP.

thanks man!

One thing to keep in mind if you feel the need to go in and mess with the ABS is your insurance. Your insurance premium is based on the safety of the car, which includes the ABS. Disabling it, or the airbags, or anything else related will cause the insurance company to yell "FRAUD" if you wind up in an accident, whether or not it's your fault. Maybe you can hide the work done well enough so an adjuster won't notice it, but if they happen to see wiring that bypasses fuses or switches related to your braking system, insurance will not cover you or any damage you cause, and might also pin you with a lawsuit.

Food for thought.

Guest JessterCPA

I think the only real issue here, is not whether you have the right to defeat your own ABS system, which you do, but instead that distinct possibility of you being in a circumstance in which the defeat of that ABS function could potentially harm another driver/passenger.

If your intent is to disable the system for competition, or very specific instances where the risk of accident/injury is only to your car and/or yourself, than I see no real issue here. But the minute you go on a public road & encounter other vehicles or pedestrians, is there a way to ensure that system is on?

Holy crap. A bunch of uneducated folks when it comes to cars, the lot of you.

I feel sorry for the OP since he asked a reasonable question, asked if anyone was willing to try it, and was attacked for the possibility of damaging other people's cars.

Umm, if you aren't capable of unplugging a switch and reattaching it later, then you have NO BUSINESS working on your own car and you can simply ignore the thread since you obviously aren't capable of the experiment.

If I were about 500 miles closer to my car, I would be willing to give it a shot.

Sorry, OP.

I agree!

My car has a fuse for the ABS solenoid, and one that is for ABS and cruise. If I take them both out, ABS and cruise don't work, and I get a CEL. If I just take out the one for the solenoid, then ABS is off, and the only other thing that happens is the ABS light on the dash stays on.

My car is a lot older, but maybe it works somewhat the same? Anyway, at least other people with old cars have something to go by.

I think the only real issue here, is not whether you have the right to defeat your own ABS system, which you do, but instead that distinct possibility of you being in a circumstance in which the defeat of that ABS function could potentially harm another driver/passenger.

If your intent is to disable the system for competition, or very specific instances where the risk of accident/injury is only to your car and/or yourself, than I see no real issue here. But the minute you go on a public road & encounter other vehicles or pedestrians, is there a way to ensure that system is on?

I would say there are a few parts to this. First off, in most cases, people do this for things like autocross, and simply have it set up on a switch. In most cases, the setting is defaulted to ABS being on unless you actually switch it off. This wouldn't be much different than if your ABS went crazy and turned itself off, which I've seen.

Depending on the car, in some cases, the ABS system may cause significantly longer stopping distances. Like when hitting a bump while braking. Those who had the joy of driving a 2002 - 2003 WRX will be very familiar with this shorts-staining experience.

I also don't much see how different defeating ABS is than turning off traction control on a car so equipped. The manufacturers have the switch provided for traction/stability control.

Ultimately, the real concern is whether a driver is driving attentively or not. Really, a driver who is used to driving without ABS is not any less safe than an ABS equipped car. It's just that since it's such a common feature these days that most people don't know any better than to slam on the brakes and hope for the best.

All that said, I have no interest in defeating my ABS. I just don't think this guy is dumb for desiring to do so himself.

i f******** hate abs .. i know you can remouve the fuse to turn it off .. but then cruise don't work any more ... all the lights are flashing .. arg ...

i have been looking at the abs module i/o signals . the signal from the brake swtich goes to the rear lights and to the ecm .. if the ecm one is interupted with a switch .. the car won't know that your slaming on the breaks. and thus the abs won't activate. if this is the case everything els will function normally and you can have a switch for abs on or off that you can turn on and off at any time .

i would like if some one could simply reach under, un plug the break switch and try it .

and also have no brake lights:rolleyes:

Duh. That's why you just try it to see if it works. If it works, then you wire it up so the switch only affects the line to the ECM and not the brake lights. It's not so hard to figure out!

For those of you who are wondiering about the potential liability of theis abs stuff .. ... i have been a mechanic for a while in quebec .. and there are thousands of cars here that have the abs light on becasue of a bad sensor and waht not .. we are not required to do yearly inspections. and we have no fault insurance we just don't go around sueing everyone.

i want to have a switch .. so when i'm trying to stop and its not stoping and i don't want to rear end the car in front of me . i click it on and stop .. i find the worst parts is the 10 mph and below part of the abs .. it seams to be the worst..

From an insurance company's point of view, the minute you tamper with any safety feature on a car, you will void their policy. This is the case whether or not you do it correctly. If you crash your car and the claims adjuster somehow finds that you have messed with the wiring for the ABS, he has the right to call foul and the insurance company doesn't have to do a thing. It's the same story if you have a warranty and do some modifications. If you bring the car in to have the mechanic look at something (under warranty), and he sees the modifications you have made, he can say your warranty is void because the car you brought in isn't the same as the car you bought. It'll depend on who it is and whether or not he's in a good mood, but the insurance company can be an ass and say you aren't covered. Yes, adding a switch is easy, but the ramifications of it could be disastrous.

If you feel the need to add a switch, the responsible thing to do (which no one does), would be to tell the insurance company what you want to do and take the added premium.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but my gf works for an insurance company in CT.

For those of you who are wondiering about the potential liability of theis abs stuff .. ... i have been a mechanic for a while in quebec .. and there are thousands of cars here that have the abs light on becasue of a bad sensor and waht not .. we are not required to do yearly inspections. and we have no fault insurance we just don't go around sueing everyone.

i want to have a switch .. so when i'm trying to stop and its not stoping and i don't want to rear end the car in front of me . i click it on and stop .. i find the worst parts is the 10 mph and below part of the abs .. it seams to be the worst..

I highly doubt your reaction speed will be fast enough to flip this switch by the time you realize it's too late, let alone your ability to suddenly lock up your brakes helping you avoid a collision. :confused:

Oh and tsquared I dont know a damn about insurance policies...lol, but what you say makes sense. Warranties however are another story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

A mechanic/dealership cant void your warranty simply because they see you have modified your car and it's not "the same car." Thanks to magnuson-moss, the burden of proof lies in the warranter to prove that the modification you made caused the failure in the warrantied part. Granted in the motive of this thread, and deliberate ABS deactivation, you'd pretty much be screwed. As a general rule of thumb though, modification does not necessarily, automatically, void your warranty.

Reading this I had my opinions, but kept quiet.... people continued to post what I more or less thought.

But it opened my eyes to an option I'd not considered in a braking situation of my own. Last year we bought an older Blazer so the Legacy wouldn't have to hit the salty roads so much, and to better explore these hills around us. Soon, however, it became obvious there was either a quirk with Blazers in general or ours in particular. The long and short is, the ABS would kick in at almost every stop, annoying the piss out of my wife especially, and provocating my analytical instincts. Sucked to have all that BS going on so often. I theorized the brakes were not working correctly for some reason but winter precluded getting into it "just now."

After reading this I decided to unplug the ABS unit, to see what happened. Just as I expected one of the brakes was too grabby and true to design the ABS was kicking in to save me..... when I really didn't have a problem that required ABS. I'll rebuild the brakes shortly when the weather provides better motivation, but for now I'm ABS BS free. Braking is more predictable and stopping distances are shorter by far.

Further research reveals these disk front/drum rear ABS systems are, in fact, problematic on their own. The brakes are actually OK, I've inspected them thoroughly, but I'm going to rebuild them properly anyway. Depending on what happens after that, I may and I may not reconnect the ABS.

The point is, as others have suggested, you have to be smarter than the equipment you operate. :)

• 10 months later...

Well Frankster, 10 month bump. I know first hand from several years of semi-professional alpine ski racing that ABS increases stopping distances on snow/rain/anywhere when an experienced driver is behind the wheel, especially at lower speeds. I had a 1995 Audi A6 Quatro, and I had to turn off all the traction crap to be able to stop the thing. I thought this was bad and something was broken, so I did research and found studies. ABS increases stopping distance??? yes!!! The point of it is to keep all the tires rotating at road speed so a soccer mom can STEER OUT OF THE WAY of the obstruction she can't stop for in time. Makes a lot of sense! Unless you know how to drive :lol: Of course now in Texas there is no snow :(

Anyways, Pin 16 on the abs module? This will be the magic autocross button!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

1) The longer stopping distances caused by ABS is, of course, the reason it is banned as an unfair advantage in Formula 1 racing. A properly designed ABS system will almost always stop a car faster than the most experienced driver. The almost comes from the FEW times that locking the wheels is faster - such as in deep snow (deeper than a LGT will ever see) or in sand. If you need further proof, look at the Land Rover terrain control system settings for ABS. Only in sand is the system significantly disabled.

2) I can understand complaints about old ABS systems - for example the non-independent disc/drum setups. I used to drive a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville. With ABS.

3) Static and and sliding friction coefficients differ. Wikipedia is your friend.

4) Capitalization and spelling go a long way to making you seem knowledgeable. If you have so much time in the hotel to peruse LGT, perhaps hitting the shift key and spell check would keep you entertained for longer? In any case, I'm sure (youre) car (seams) fine without any (breaks).

1) The longer stopping distances caused by ABS is, of course, the reason it is banned as an unfair advantage in Formula 1 racing. A properly designed ABS system will almost always stop a car faster than the most experienced driver. The almost comes from the FEW times that locking the wheels is faster - such as in deep snow (deeper than a LGT will ever see) or in sand. If you need further proof, look at the Land Rover terrain control system settings for ABS. Only in sand is the system significantly disabled.

2) I can understand complaints about old ABS systems - for example the non-independent disc/drum setups. I used to drive a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville. With ABS.

3) Static and and sliding friction coefficients differ. Wikipedia is your friend.

4) Capitalization and spelling go a long way to making you seem knowledgeable. If you have so much time in the hotel to peruse LGT, perhaps hitting the shift key and spell check would keep you entertained for longer? In any case, I'm sure (youre) car (seams) fine without any (breaks).

Who brought the cool kid?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

hey guys .. well i just simpily pulled the fuse at the fuse box located next to the battery! however the cruise control doesn't work when the fuse is pulled.

i am going to install a relay with a switch on the inside of the car so bacically opening the circuit . note the ing needs to be turned off then back on to reactivate the abs.

simple enough.

Yea, I like my seams with no breaks in them! I do, however, prefer my car to have brakes that seemingly brake fine, rather than break when I try and brake. :lol:

Who brought the cool kid?

I always appreciate the intelligent kid who has well researched information and a proper understanding of the English language that SO many people tend to lack, especially when hidden behind a computer monitor online. Spelling and grammar are your friends!

Yea, I like my seams with no breaks in them! I do, however, prefer my car to have brakes that seemingly brake fine, rather than break when I try and brake. :lol:

I always appreciate the intelligent kid who has well researched information and a proper understanding of the English language that SO many people tend to lack, especially when hidden behind a computer monitor online. Spelling and grammar are your friends!

oh burn!

but the major thing for me is when i'm bombing around on hard packed snow. with abs braking sucks. with out abs the wheels dig down and you stop fast.

the other major thing with abs and vdc is so when you run off the road or smash in to some one you hit with the front crumple zone, not on a door.

i hate driving with ABS in the snow. i learned snow driving on non-ABS and got pretty good with it and how to make the car grab when I wanted it to. now this damn ABS messes me all up.

btw, the shift key is over rated, but grammar and spelling is nice sometimes...

Archived