LegacyGT.com

filter fight

I've got 4 pureone's in my basement. Great filter, great construction, and the easy grip material does not come off and makes for easy install and removal.

Drink beer out of big red plastic cup. When beer is done, remove filter with big red plastic cup. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated above, I last changed my oil with P Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter. I just checked my oil Saturday and this black, filthy, terrible looking oil was there. Only 1300 miles on this oil change and I have never seen my oil look this bad, even after 4000 miles. I know the visual condition of oil is not a good indicator, but this was bad.

So I tried an experiment. I bought a PureOne filter and one quart of oil. I replaced the filter and topped off the oil. After a 25 mile drive, I rechecked the oil and it looked clean.....amazingly clean. I then preceded to waste more $$ and purchased another filter and 5 qts and changed the oil again.

No more Mobil 1 filters for me. PureOne or nothing.

Mobil 1

This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#kn

Archived