LegacyGT.com

WARNING SpecB Owners

For those who don't know. DO NOT under any circumstances try to drive in winter conditions with the stock Summer RE050 tires. They are extremely dangerous in icy conditions and will not stop on ice if you are even on a slight incline. I believe this warning only applies to the Spec B Legacy as the GT comes with all seasons.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CN: Don't use summer-only tires in winter.

Yeah, no kidding.

I remember seeing an M Coupe at a dealership, traded in for an Outback. The salesman told me that the owner hated it because it "handled like crap in the snow." I went outside to look at the car, and confirm my sneaking suspicion.

Yep. Stock (summer) tires.

I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

i never had a problem on my bald RE92's, granted it wasnt great traction or the most safe means of travel, but i survived. How much snow were you driving in?

LGT RE92's are all-season, Spec-B RE050's are not.

:lol: Captain obvious has arrived to save the day!

i never had a problem on my bald RE92's, granted it wasnt great traction or the most safe means of travel, but i survived. How much snow were you driving in?

Really?...... Failure

Right, the reason summer tires are so bad in winter is only partially due to tread pattern or depth and the rest has to do with the summer compound the tire is made from basically freezes in cold temps. So your diving on ice with ice tires kinda. 0 traction

Yeah, summer tires on snow is about like slicks in the rain. Although for different reasons. My T1-R's have a tread pattern that wouldn't be bad in snow, but the compound is all wrong.

But thanks anyways Captain Obvious. Just in case I had forgotten that I had summer tires, it's nice to see a reminder like this. :lol:

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The worse part of an AWD car with summer tires in slippery winter conditions for the unknowing, the car gets moving okay but steering and braking are a scary no go.

At least with RWD and FWD you know its slippery when you attempt to move the car.

Im pretty sure if you have summer tires and try to go foward you will still spin. On icey roads i can get my car to spin the tires quite easily with all seasons. Winter tires will get you through snow and great traction on snow but there are no tires other than spiked that get you perfect traction on ice.

Archived