LegacyGT.com

WARNING SpecB Owners

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just did... RE050's with there 9,000 miles after one year ownership (yeah, yeah I don't drive)... I have had zero problems with these tires... they are great... for being summer tires they love the Monsoons here in AZ

To be fair to YVR, he has probably subsisted through many Vancouver winters without any significant snowfall or any threats to summer tires going rock hard due to cold temps. I've been there too; I've been rolling summer tires year-round (Yokohama A680, Bridgestone RE730 and Kumho Escta 712 in my previous automobile) in a similar Seattle climate since 2000 without missing a step. However, the stock RE050s were as good as ice skates this year.

Anyone educated enough with Subarus who knows they want a Spec B should also know what kind of tires are on it. I had an STi before my Spec B and I knew when I bought the car that I needed winter tires to replace the RE070s, so I got them. If you want to buy a car, do some homework.

LOL, because everyone who buys a new car does research. The average person doesnt, i could tell most people more about there cars than they could. Yes the spec b is an enthusiasts car. But that doesnt mean there arent people who want the best of a model jsut to say they have the best. These people dont doresearch they justbuy whatever has the highest price tag and most features for that model

OK guys, the reason for this post was just to point out the fact that the SpecB is downright dangerous in winter with the stock tires installed.

For those that already know this you need not reply or post sarcastic remarks. It was not meant for the experienced driver or someone that knows better.

This thread was simply meant for NEW owners and in some cases new drivers who are clueless about the difference that the correct tires for the road conditions can have on safety.

Why did I post it ? Simply because I'd hate to see a fellow SpecB owner smash up their car due to plain ignorance and lack of information, or lack of experience since the dealerships to not even mention the danger of these tires in winter.

In my opinion the dealer should make a point of not releasing a new SpecB to any owner during winter unless the car is fitted with at very least all season tires prior to leaving the lot, and if sold in summer making a point to let the customer know that all season or winter tires must be installed prior to winter.

This is not a matter of beating a dead horse....nic pic BTW... but highlighting something that could save lives.

We all know commonsense is not always common...enough said.

Understood, and entirely respectable. :)

However, remember that a car forum is full of people dedicated to a particular interest, and even more specifically, one model of car. So 99% of subjects will have been covered a million times over; tires are one of them. So if you make an "obvious" post about driving summer tires in the winter, well...... some flamin' is to be expected.

I'm one of the more genuine, non-cynical people you'll ever meet on an online forum, though I do take a few liberties here and there. So I say this just as an FYI for next time! :D

Archived