LegacyGT.com

Convince me - 2.5i vs. VW GLI

Sherman8r44

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
find a good price on a used lgt and get them to test drive it. dont mention its the turbo and hopefully they wont pay attention to the hood scoop. if the figure out its a lgt not a 2.5i mention its a good deal and dont forget to mention all the safety features and low insurance rates. thats another thing. check insurance on both cars. my spec.b is cheaper then the 06 acura tl that i had for insurance.

Did you go over to the Vdub forums and ask them to convince you to buy a VW over a subie? I am wondering what they would dig up on "us" as far as problems or lemons. My parents have 2 Jettas that are TDI and they have both been good so far. One has 100K and the other 60K. GL on whatever your parents buy ya...

^thats why I got my lgt instead of the gti, since I would be going to college in a area that gets alot of snow. You have to think of the fun factor but you also have to see what fits your needs even more. If your going to get alott snow then go subie if not lgt then 2.5i or the h6. Like I said you can get a lgt for a very good price its just convincing your parents that you can get it.:)

There are 2 levers on the left side of the seat.

The rear one tilts the seat back/forth, the front one raises/lowers it.

My wife's TDI Beetle manual says you should take it to the dealer to replace the headlight bulbs.

You mean the same dealer that hasn't been able to fix the ESP electrical problems for the past 2 years? :confused:

I looked at replacing the battery. Looks like too much trouble considering how much I hate the car. :spin:

Sure, maybe I'm not much of a mechanic but I just replaced the clutch in a 99 Outback Wagon.

At the end of the day with snow on the drive, my wife is lucky to get up the drive in her VW. If she has to wait for the garage to open she has to back down and take another run, spinning most of the way up the hill. In my Legacy Wagon I just wait for the garage door to open and drive right in. I work hard all day and feel I've earned that luxury.

I've only had my 05 non turbo Legacy Wagon with the 4EAT for a month now but I'm hooked. Although I will probably upgrade to a Legacy GT sedan or Outback XT with the 4 or 5EAT in a couple of years.

(test drove an 08 leftover LGT with 4EAT last week, very nice)

Maybe you don't need AWD today.

But where will you be tomorrow?

Sure, Europen handling is hard to match. My Audi TT was unbelievable. I had it for 1 year and once I got everything working properly I sold it quick before something else went wrong. But what a great looking/hanling car.

If I was to ever buy another VW (not gonna do it) it would be air cooled and strictly for nostagia

Good luck on your decision. When I was 18 my parents gave me their 76 AMC Hornet, 3 on the tree and gutless 232ci 6 cyl.

Al

True dat. To everyone who suggested a LGT, it would have been my first choice but the 'rents gave an absolute no to the "too fast" LGT. Not to mention that a new one is around $30K, while a GLI could be had for 5 grand less.

Bolksey85, I haven't really heard the stereos...the VW has a better system than the Harmon Kardon in the Legacy?

So I suppose it comes down to a tradeoff of power/fun vs. beauty/reliability?

The 2.5i isn't exactly cheap either, but if you want reliability, you can't go wrong with it.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but if Sherman8r44 is looking to modify the car and spend a lot of time on forums I would recommend the Subaru. I have a VW (an old one) and the guys on VW forums can be serious d-bags, and I have a friend with a newer Jetta who is in some eurotuner club and once again, they can be elitist d-bags. Just personal opinion, they're great cars and a lot of the people who own/drive/spend time on forums for VWs are cool. It just seems there is a higher concentration of d-bags. Subarus are easier/cheaper to modify and Subaru people are more helpful.

Did you go over to the Vdub forums and ask them to convince you to buy a VW over a subie? I am wondering what they would dig up on "us" as far as problems or lemons. My parents have 2 Jettas that are TDI and they have both been good so far. One has 100K and the other 60K. GL on whatever your parents buy ya...

That's a great idea. So far I haven't heard anything bad about Legacy reliability, but maybe it needs another viewpoint.

Yes I live on Long Island, but I go to college in Atlanta. I don't know if I'll be bringing down my car next year. At the moment I drive a FWD car with all seasons and it's easy in the snow, but the AWD would be fun in a wide open parking lot or field...

flat4fun, every car cult has its share of d bags, and from what I've seen the VW people seem OK (not as bad as VTEC worshippers).

Bolksey85, we're looking at new only. The price difference, and the LGT's unquenchable thirst for premium, make a very expensive proposition.

It's primarily the handling of the VW that entices me. With a few suspension mods on the 2.5i down the line could I get it to handle as well as the GLI?

Honestly the choice might all come down to the seating position, but I really appreciate everyone's input.

That's a great idea. So far I haven't heard anything bad about Legacy reliability, but maybe it needs another viewpoint.

Yes I live on Long Island, but I go to college in Atlanta. I don't know if I'll be bringing down my car next year. At the moment I drive a FWD car with all seasons and it's easy in the snow, but the AWD would be fun in a wide open parking lot or field...

flat4fun, every car cult has its share of d bags, and from what I've seen the VW people seem OK (not as bad as VTEC worshippers).

Bolksey85, we're looking at new only. The price difference, and the LGT's unquenchable thirst for premium, make a very expensive proposition.

It's primarily the handling of the VW that entices me. With a few suspension mods on the 2.5i down the line could I get it to handle as well as the GLI?

Honestly the choice might all come down to the seating position, but I really appreciate everyone's input.

First off, work retail parts for about 6 months and see how you feel about VW people. When they come in wearing their "I :wub: my Beetle" shirts or talking about their 1.8T now makes 150WHP, it gets old. And while you're at it, check the pricing on VW parts and service compared to Subie parts. And the availability of said parts, as well. 2nd, that VW is gonna need 91/93 octane with the turbo. The 2.5i gets an EPA rated 22/29mpg and the VW gets 21/29. Not worth the aggravation of CEL's and weird electrical issues just to get a fancier interior. And yes, with maybe 2k invested between cheap, light wheels, sticky tires and a sway bar set, handling should rival the VW. I know my 1st statement is mine and only mine but after dealing with them and their issues for 2 1/2 years, it's convinced me to never buy one. Couple that with my friend's horror stories (forgot to mention, his clutch went at 20k miles and even though it was a certified pre-owned car, they wouldn't warranty it), my hatred for VW's runs deeper by the day. There are very few VW's I would rock and they all come from this genre:

http://yuricle.tululuka.net/alboo/db/p/00/09/843a6e4fbb717455.jpg

First off, work retail parts for about 6 months and see how you feel about VW people. When they come in wearing their "I :wub: my Beetle" shirts or talking about their 1.8T now makes 150WHP, it gets old. And while you're at it, check the pricing on VW parts and service compared to Subie parts. And the availability of said parts, as well. 2nd, that VW is gonna need 91/93 octane with the turbo. The 2.5i gets an EPA rated 22/29mpg and the VW gets 21/29. Not worth the aggravation of CEL's and weird electrical issues just to get a fancier interior. And yes, with maybe 2k invested between cheap, light wheels, sticky tires and a sway bar set, handling should rival the VW. I know my 1st statement is mine and only mine but after dealing with them and their issues for 2 1/2 years, it's convinced me to never buy one. Couple that with my friend's horror stories (forgot to mention, his clutch went at 20k miles and even though it was a certified pre-owned car, they wouldn't warranty it), my hatred for VW's runs deeper by the day. There are very few VW's I would rock and they all come from this genre:

http://yuricle.tululuka.net/alboo/db/p/00/09/843a6e4fbb717455.jpg

Dude, just let it go... :rolleyes:

I've had quite a fair share of VW's and Subies.. Subaru wins hands down with reliability. The 2 L GLI motor is sweet and can be upgraded. The 2.5 non turbo is limited in upgrades. My bother has a GTI with the VR6. It's the little things that break down that can be annoying on VW's. The headliner is sagging and a door handle broke off (kinda typical VW fare that is absent fron most subies)

GLI over a 2.5i. GT over a GLI

This. I agree with it.

Oh wait, (after a google search) I was thinking more of a GTi, and not the Jetta GLi. Will your folks not splurge for a GTi hatch? That is one sexy ride and is tested against much more powerful cars like the Mazdaspeed3 and the WRX, because it's pretty quick and offers other benefits over raw speed.

But I've always been inpressed with Euro fit and finish and choice of interior materials.

You can also mod the turbo VW if the mood suits you (but your parents might snap if they find out you've blown up something and haven't kept the warranty intact.)

I don't think a lot of people really heard your question and are just rambling..:lol:

From reading the first few posts the answer was clear to me. You want a sporty car, yet you can see that there is real value in the subaru brand.

I think the answer is the WRX. You just have to sell it to your parents well, as an adult/responsible car with enough hp to pass on the freeway, easy to work on (modify) fun, reliable and awesome with good resale value and awd. Price around 23000 new, you want to negotiate by email with local dealers for a set otd price.

Otherwise base models are fun starter cars with a few mods, and VW's are sweet in their own rite.

TBM

there are so many cars out there... seems odd it was narrowed down to GLI and the 2.5i.

if you've been a car enthusiast for 17 years or so it's likely you know that FWD is awful. I've had a front drive car in HS, the miata in college, and the LGT now. FWIW i will never ever buy another front drive car again. the only fwd i'd ever get is the cooper S.

second thought... why not a cooper S?

160 hp is less than the GLI (IIRC) and is a pretty awesome car. and couldnt hurt with the ladies either.

car for sale. PM me!

there are so many cars out there... seems odd it was narrowed down to GLI and the 2.5i.

if you've been a car enthusiast for 17 years or so it's likely you know that FWD is awful. I've had a front drive car in HS, the miata in college, and the LGT now. FWIW i will never ever buy another front drive car again. the only fwd i'd ever get is the cooper S.

second thought... why not a cooper S?

160 hp is less than the GLI (IIRC) and is a pretty awesome car. and couldnt hurt with the ladies either.

163HP in the 2002-2006MCS. The newer turbo jumped to I think high 160's-low 170's. I don't know the exact number. I never cared for the newer gen body style or interior.

Tell your parents to buy you a left-over 2008 WRX. It will be an adult, responsible car, it will have JUST 225 hp. It is a turbo upgrade away; you will find it cheaper. the new ones are 265 hp so it will be an even no-no than the Legacy GT.

AND - if you wanna impress your parents, go peruse www.safecar.gov and show them the crash test ratings for all these cars. Ultimately...you have to tell your parents (AND THIS IS TRUE) that horsepower only dictates how fast you get to a certain speed, cause the Jetta or a Prius will still make it to 110 mph which is idiotic fast to be traveing at anyways. But if God forbid someone else crashes into you, they can be rest assured you are in one of the safest cars on Earth. And this is not mine or Suby owners propaganda. This is the US Gov't that tells you so...but then again...should you trust the gov't ?

Oh wait, (after a google search) I was thinking more of a GTi, and not the Jetta GLi. Will your folks not splurge for a GTi hatch? That is one sexy ride and is tested against much more powerful cars like the Mazdaspeed3 and the WRX, because it's pretty quick and offers other benefits over raw speed.

You can also mod the turbo VW if the mood suits you (but your parents might snap if they find out you've blown up something and haven't kept the warranty intact.)

Actually a GTI is about $1000 less expensive. I'd certainly prefer a 5-door GTI, but the folks are worried that the hatch is too small and that if I get rear ended, rear passengers could be more easily injured. The GLI is a GTI with 15 inches of hideous metal tacked on, so they like that better...I think I'll be able to argue it though. ;)

That's true...I like the easy moddability of the turbo VW...hell, most chips even allow you to hide the software from the dealer.

lawl, of course FWD blows, but RWD is out of the question because I live in NY (plus the parents banned it). I drive FWD at the moment and I'll say it can still be fun but yeah, AWD would definitely be a step up...at the demise of weight and fuel economy, of course. And safety is very important, thus the tiny mini is out.

TBM and f1anatic, that's a great idea! Only caveat...weren't the '08 models known for soft suspensions and lots of body roll?

Also f1, one step ahead of you...I found http://www.informedforlife.org, which applies NHTSA and IIHS ratings to statistics...it's quite intriguing.

Also f1, one step ahead of you...I found http://www.informedforlife.org, which applies NHTSA and IIHS ratings to statistics...it's quite intriguing.

that car lists the 2005 Legacy as a ...miserable failure...which is not true. It was/is the safest car in America. The 2008 Legacy is safer than the 2009 Legacy... Not sure how they do this...but that website is not consistent. I will stick with www.safercar.gov

Another edit. If memory serves me right, they redesigned the location of the front seat belt for the 2006 and later model years as to interfere less with the torso airbags. But when I checked mine out - which is an 2005 model with the mfg date of December 2004) - it is identical to the 2006+ models. It is very possible that only an initial run of cars had been affected.

This scare is similar to the blowing turbo engines from a year or so ago...Everybody was afraid to go past 2500 rpm cause their engine was going to blow. Turned out is was a very small batch of engines and none (by-and-large) on this continent.

i didnt mean to get a rear drive car.

just not FWD.

doesnt really seem like you're really comparing apples to apples here.. one is a midsize almost family sized mundane sedan. the other is a civic sized turbo (or at least a car with power) factory tuner car

if you want excitement im going to guess the jetta is a better idea. but pitting the GLI against the 2.5i for excitement is like competing in a spelling bee with a dyslexic 5 year old..

if you only have those 2 choices then i would bite the bullet with maintenance costs and get the GLI. but there have to be other options available.. i wouldnt purchase either of those 2..

IMO you're too burdened with parental mumbo jumbo to get a decent car. get a mazda 3 hatch, ask the parents for the rest of the money and spend it on hookers and blow at college.

car for sale. PM me!

...MKV GLI vs 2.5 Legacy? The GLI hands down, it's easy to mod if you like and has gobs of support. The 2.0T motor is not only fun but gets great mileage and the fit and finish is unlike anything you'd find in a Subie. As for reliablity I've had no "major" issues w/my VW, but to be fair my wife's Subie has been even more rock solid. Like others said, if you cane get the parents to go for it the LGT would be a "better" choice than the GLI in most respects.

Archived